Game Larder Temperature

thank you all for your help I have mine set from 2C to 5C at the moment think I might change it to 3C to 5C,
cheers.

The legal limit of 7C will stop the growth of pathogenic bacteria but spoilage bacteria will be slowed down below 3C

that's interesting thank you maybe should stick at 2c, one other question what has every one on the floor as a sealant over concrete or a matt or something similar ?

that's interesting thank you maybe should stick at 2c, one other question what has every one on the floor as a sealant over concrete or a matt or something similar ?
What condition is the concrete?

If its in good nick then just use a concrete sealer to stop blood penetrating and staining.

If you paint it you will be forevering repainting it.

There is a thick lino that you see in council house kitchens, Ive seen it in a few larders now and its easy clean stuff.

Mine are set at 2 degrees and are lined with plastic floor tiles, did the floor paint route
but as already been said I was forever re-painting

The legal limit in England is no more than 8oC for general refrigeration with a guideline of 2-3oC for raw meat. Regarding floor covering ideally the floor should be smooth free from cracks/holes etc that might retain blood or meat fragments. It should not be porous or generate dust e.g untreated concrete. Thermoplastic tiles or sheeting is a good covering If you have the money you can get a very hard wearing floor covering call Altrofloor - this is used in commercial kitchens and butchers shops. Whatever you use it must be capable of being thoroughly cleaned (not necessarily disinfected).
A couple of coats of floor paint applied in warmer weather will suffice for the non-professional game larder.

Interesting responses so far. Maybe I should bump mine down a degree or two? Mine is small numbers and is for personal consumption only but it's always interesting to see everyone else's approach.

keep mine at 2c all the time because its got game birds once a week and i belive they have to be down to 4c.

please correct me if i am wrong.

I worked in the food industry for a number of years and had to do a lot of HACCP.

From the meat hygene regulations Small game below 4 and large below 7. A
s already said keep it under 3 and it will be fine for a longer time.

Seal the floor and part way up the walls, stops stuff getting trapped around the edges, with a two pack epoxy resin to a depth of 2 mm or more and you will only have to do it once, unless you somehow chip it (it is easily repaired).

lots of answers here

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/wildgameguide0611.pdf

I've done a good few construction jobs in food factories, hospitals and such and as far as I am aware tiles of any kind are now a no no. It has to be "seamless" in some form - either paint, epoxy or welded sheet. Might be different in Englandshire?

Personally I'd stay away from plastic sheet (Altro or WHY) as it has no resistance to being for example struck with a hammer etc and the goo with then penetrate and you'll have no knowledge of this until you come to replace it upon which Pandora's box will be opened (as happened in Asda, Elgin - we had to clear the store 'cos of the smell :D)

As Cooter suggests epoxy is good and easy to fix.

Treat the concrete floor with a twin pack levelling compound ( seals dust , and fills cracks ) then paint with apoxy resin floor paint . it might seem expensive but is very hard wearing and will leave you with a good quality larder floor , easy to wash out and keep clean .

Mine is at 1 degree c and it keeps deer lovely for 3 weeks< i found any higher reduces hanging time especially on body shot animals
So by the sounds of things you choose your own temp??
The legal temp I found is to high to keep deer, but thats just my opinion!!!!!

Back