Warning re 95 gr 6.5 mm V Max

rodkayak

I was considering using these in my 6.5 x 55 for Roe (in Scotland) and CWD & Muntjac, however I shot a fox the other night and instantly changed my mind. The carcass damage would be too much. I apologise for the graphic nature of the photo but wish to put off anyone thinking of using these bullets for stalking.
fox 2011 002.jpg

i thought that was what a v-max bullet was surposed to do-what a mess

steve

Last edited:
To be fair you do say the bullet used is a Vmax, which by design is meant to do damage like this. It is after all a varminting round.

Tom

Probably would have been less dramatic, if hit further forward, We have used up to 120 grains in 7mm short mags & had less messy results, but poi has always been much further forwards.

i like it, i must try some i am currently using 100 grn nosler balistic tips in 6.5 x55 used for fox and deer but i would like a good fox round and this seems good , what powder and rifle are you using , and what are the 95 grn like at longer ranges ?

i like it, i must try some i am currently using 100 grn nosler balistic tips in 6.5 x55 used for fox and deer but i would like a good fox round and this seems good , what powder and rifle are you using , and what are the 95 grn like at longer ranges ?

What are the 100 grain Bt like? I am just about to try some.

IMHO - just use 120Gn NBT or similar, for everything, First they are legal for Deer, and in my experience do not cause excessive meat damage on roe or fallow at 2850 fps, and foxes just don't know whats hit them. Shot placement is everything, velocity and throwing grenades at them ..... less so. I have heard that A Max are allright and very accurate but I have no experience using them.

Excuse the rant, but to me, using varmint bullets on deer of any kind is unacceptable. My tuppence worth, now I'll get my head below the parapet for the incoming.

Best

P

The Nosler 100 gr Ballistic Tips seemed to do the same which is why I stopped using them. I only really shoot foxes if asked to as they are a pest or when asked to when stalking. My dog fox looked like Freddy Kruger had been underneath it. The belly was shredded, range about 75 yards. The halo of water spray against the rising sun was impressive and years later I can still see it in my minds eye. We were in a high stand waiting for Munties when Mr Fox showed up trying to greep up on a Pheasent feeder. The shot was at 75 because we had to wait for him to come down the rise to give a safe and secure backstop.

Last edited:
I'm surprised at your surprise.

These obviously do what they're supposed to, but there's no guarantee this will be repeated. Similarly, using fused core Accubonds or the like might be too tough for Roe which is antelope-weight class.

In the 6.5 I use standard 120gr Sierra ProHunter FB's at around .270 speeds. On a single occasion this load sailed through 2 fallow does in a melee. You might assume that these are tough bullets, but I think it's a mistake to generalise from an isolated experience.

To be honest, i've had very similar results with home loaded sierra 100g SPBT with 44gn of N160 out of my .243, RWS 100g sp and Norma 100g sp factory loads, then again i've shot rabbits with them and done less damage than a 22lr, for what its worth it just seems to be down to where and how the bullet strikes?

Tikkat3

V- MAX , Varmit, maximum disruption, Why would you think of using these on game spieces , deer, thay may be "legal" but thay are destructive bullets on deer, i learned a long time ago varmit bullets hitting scapula often do NOT penetrate into the body cavity.

Why not use bullets dsigned to have controled expantion for deer and varmit bullets for varmits, fox ect.

ATB Barry

Where I come from that's a good result.....

Paul if your reply was to my post, while it is a good effective result on a Fox both the keeper and I thought it might be problematic on a nice sized Muntjac Buck. So a change of bullet was made and to be honest the Speer 120 Grn flat based bullet worked as well on Fox and was excellent on the Muntjac so everyone was happy :D except possibly the deer and foxes.

What else were you expecting from a vmax bullet?
I use 140 grain nosler partition in my 6.5 and have very
Little meat damage!

Back