A bit of History.

captdavid

I do want to make one thing clear, if ya'll have read the Chilli thread. Texas used to be a part of Mexico, 'Remember the Alamo,' until we won our independence. We were our own independent country, and were first recgonized by GB, thank you very much. We then annexed the US, but decided to use that name as it was already on all the maps, hehe. capt david

if you check out the plaque in The Alamo it seems that a lot of the defenders were from over here :D

As you may or may not know, I'm a history teacher. As you also may or may not know, about one third of the defenders were Mexican. Although I don't have the facts to prove it, I bet none of the Anglo (Tex-Mex for white) defenders had been in Texas for more than ten years. Davey Crockett and his men had been for about a month. capt david

As you may or may not know, I'm a history teacher. As you also may or may not know, about one third of the defenders were Mexican. Although I don't have the facts to prove it, I bet none of the Anglo (Tex-Mex for white) defenders had been in Texas for more than ten years. Davey Crockett and his men had been for about a month. capt david

Davey Crockett, was of Scottish desent,think it was on his mothers side.

We get everywhere:D

The largest part of the early settlers came from in and around Tennessee, not the deep South. Oral tradition calls these people 'Scotch-Irish.' capt david

I do want to make one thing clear, if ya'll have read the Chilli thread. Texas used to be a part of Mexico, 'Remember the Alamo,' until we won our independence. We were our own independent country, and were first recgonized by GB, thank you very much. We then annexed the US, but decided to use that name as it was already on all the maps, hehe. capt david

Capt David

I heard that it was agreed at the time of the US annexation that Texas would retain its right to secede from the Union, and that Texas is the only State with this right specifically guaranteed.

Do you know if this is true?

With kind regards

NewForester.

As a Yorkshire man you should know, a Yorkshire man is just like a Scot but without the generosity:rofl:
An old saying, but my maxim, none the less:-
Hear all see all say nowt
Eat all sup all pay nowt
An' if ever tha does owt for nowt,
Do it fo' thi sen.
HM. (A Yorkshireman in exile)

Last edited:
As a Yorkshire man you should know, a Yorkshire man is just like a Scot but without the generosity:rofl:
Not being a Yorkshireman I wouldnt know as I was born in Derbyshire spent most of my life in Lancashire and only recently in the last 5 years slipped over the white rose border , just on a observation mission like so i cant possibly confirm your statement as factual or otherwise but until i know different will take your word for it:lol:
But I do know through spending a lot of time in Scotland the locals are a bit tight passing wind.
I did hear that a 3p piece was designed initially for Scottish ciculation so you could extract it out of their hands with a spanner, dont know how much truth was in it though:rofl:

Last edited:
Not being a Yorkshireman I wouldnt know as I was born in Derbyshire spent most of my life in Lancashire and only recently in the last 5 years slipped over the white rose border , just on a observation mission like so i cant possibly confirm your statement as factual or otherwise but until i know different will take your word for it:lol:
But I do know through spending a lot of time in Scotland the locals are a bit tight passing wind.
I did hear that a 3p piece was designed initially for Scottish ciculation so you could extract it out of their hands with a spanner, dont know how much truth was in it though:rofl:

All true I am afraid, but we can't help it, its genetic we are born with short arms and long pockets

Texas had several 'perks.' It is the only state that, became a state by treaty. It got to keep all it's own public land, including rivers and, more importantly because of oil underground, its ofshore costal land. It has the right to dvide into 5 states, to increase slave holdinding votes in the national government. I believe it could seceede, but needed the permission of the national government. Sam Houston, the winner of The battle of San Jacinto that gained independence from Mexico became a president and later governor of Texas. He was the governor when Texas seceeded but fought secession, and was viliffied at the time. How soon they forgot! capt david

Was just reading the thread "Has Money Ruined Stalking" and had to stop myself posting as it dont want banned.

The point is this. What have the english not ruined?? Even this thread is an example.

Back