Hi All

Can anyone give me some advice on this model
I am looking for a woodland stalking rifle with a short barrel
have read a bit already and seems good

Also can you recommend where to source one

thanks
ian

Ian

Just my opinion but this is not what I would consider to be a woodland stalking rifle. It is more applicable I would suggest to longer range shooting. I am not saying it could not be used for this application, its a rifle after all, but there is probably better and lighter out there for the job. Also remember that some rifle stocks may be more suited to shooting prone as opposed to standing up off sticks or from a high seat.

It is normally expected that woodland stalking is not going to require particularly long shots, and as said often off of sticks. A nicely balanced short barrelled rifle should swing up nicley without any fuss onto sticks. Something bigger and heavier and with a long barrel and further imbalanced with a mod fitted may just not be as handy. I know, I had a 25-06 with a 26'' barrel and a T8 fitted many years ago. Very accurate but totally unnecessary for woodland stalking. Any stalking rifle with about a 20'' barrel would be good for the job. It does not need to produce top FPS figures for shooting in general out to 100yds or so.

Personally, I would consider a 308 or 7mm-08 for the job for this reason and the fact that a bullet from these calibres may just punch through a twig or piece of cover you did not notice between you and a beast whereas something smaller like a 243 may be deflected or break up. These calibres also seem to do well from short barrels when looking at the figures as well.

I use a Sako 308 with a 20'' barrel for sika in woodland and it pretty much fits the bill.

Remember as well that even picking up a rifle with a 24'' barrel or longer can be easily shortened to your spec by a rifle-smith and threaded again for a mod for not a lot of extra cost.

Whilst maybe not ideal from a high seat but if I could pick a rifle regardless of cost for woodland stalking it woud be this...

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/272975/Blaser_K95_Luxus_singleshot_rifle_review.html

Last edited:
It's okay but I'd say a bit on the heavy side, by the time you put a scope and if your going to fit a moderator to it it's going to be a 5kg rifle to lug around the woods. As Jamross55 says it designed to be shot prone, it will do the job but there are rifles out there which might better suite your requirments, lighter shorter etc...

Hmmm I seem to recall that Steyr offered the SSG in a very short barrelled version. It looked distinctly odd to me but obviously Steyr thought it a good idea.

Just seen the barrel length. 16.5 inches, calibre depending it might make it very aloud without a moderator.

Jase

I think the short barrelled version had a faster twist barrel for heavier (subsonic) bullets? The rifle I saw the barrel had a screw off sleeve and a B&T moderator.

I have a full length barreled one in .22-250. Its a great bit of kit and I find it super accurate and that big heavy barrel soaks up heat if I'm rattling off a string of shots. Its only let down by the fragile plastic rotary mags.

Apologies, the one I looked at was listed as having a barrel of 24.5'' long. Hence the reason I said it is totally unnecessary for woodland stalking which I stand by, but also accept that you could walk round a wood with an F Class rifle shooting deer if you so desired to carry a piece of kit weighing over 20lbs offering no advantage whatsoever...

It's okay but I'd say a bit on the heavy side, by the time you put a scope and if your going to fit a moderator to it it's going to be a 5kg rifle to lug around the woods. As Jamross55 says it designed to be shot prone, it will do the job but there are rifles out there which might better suite your requirments, lighter shorter etc...

+1 on above, agree with the Guys.

A heavyweight more for long range, even with the 16" barrel it's 8.4lbs not including + scope and mod.

Rgds Buck.

As much as I like that old type Steyrs, the SSG is just to heavy. I tremendously like that old model professional, which is more acceptable in weight.
I am born and raised in the building material world. I carry 50 kg bags since I was 12. I am used to carry heavy weights. A bad back, knee and shoulder as a result. Still I am convinced that a rifle in a normal deer calibre (up to +/- 30-06 ) should never be heavier than 3.0 to 3.1 kg. Add a 0.5/0.6 kg scope , a .3 kg moderator and it's fine. Everything over 4.0 kg reday to go is to heavy. A 18/20 inch barrel T3 lite in 308 is about perfect in weight.

Thanks for the advice yes it was the 16.5 "
like the advice keep it under 4KG
sako finlite 20"

I have an SSG 69 in .308/7.62 - long / heavy barrel , excellent target rifle but a bit long and heavy for stalking and the stock is more suited to prone than off hand shooting , quite a few years ago i had an early one with a wooden stock , iron sights and if memory serves me a smaller profile 22" barrel (and yes it was the ssg69 action) i did quite a few stalks with that one , still a bit on the heavy side but a lovely rifle .If you do buy one make sure you carefully check the plastic mag well / trigger guard -very prone to cracking through around the screw holes - and not cheap to replace .
Regards , Steve.

Back