FAC Variation Question

Yorky

Hi,

A quick variation question - if I was to sell one of my rifles (a .44 Marlin for instance); would that slot on my FAC become free automatically for the same type of rifle / calibre, or would I need to re-apply for a variation to free up the slot?

Thanks
Chris

You will need to apply for a variation. If you do so within seven days of selling, it should be free of charge.
Some licensing units stick to the time whilst others are a bit more flexible.

You will need to apply for a variation. If you do so within seven days of selling, it should be free of charge.
Some licensing units stick to the time whilst others are a bit more flexible.

I see, thanks for letting me know, I didn't realise it would be free within the seven days.

Thats interesting. Iknew like for like variations were "free" but i didn't know there was a time limit.

There isn't.

There is no set time limit for a one-for-one variation. Some police FLDs seek to impose an arbitrary period but the HO Guidance can be quoted if you come up against it - chapter 10.71 refers.

There isn't.

There is no set time limit for a one-for-one variation. Some police FLDs seek to impose an arbitrary period but the HO Guidance can be quoted if you come up against it - chapter 10.71 refers.
Correct. Unfortunately no consistency/ post code lottery, as ever.

Orion

I never thought there was a time limit either, certainly nothing in the legislation as far as i am aware.

F

If you sell a rifle you must notify your licensing office within seven days of the transaction, you can do this in writing or in some cases online, however if you do not ask for the slot to be left open and send in your FAC for removal of the sold rifle and a request to keep the slot open it will be lost.
Whether this is lawful or not i dont know but that is how it is done

Ian.

If you sell a rifle you must notify your licensing office within seven days of the transaction, you can do this in writing or in some cases online,

Ian, Totally correct transactions must be notified, that's a given.

however if you do not ask for the slot to be left open and send in your FAC for removal of the sold rifle and a request to keep the slot open it will be lost.

It might be how your FLD wish to operate but it's not universal.

Whether this is lawful or not i dont know but that is how it is done

It isn't and it's not necessarily done that way elsewhere - see the HO reference I quoted earlier.

Back