2-1/2" Grouse cartridges?

SL6.5

What cartridges do you users of older/classic shotguns (with two and a half inch chambers) recommend for walked up grouse/grouse-over-pointers days?

I was thinking of something along the lines of 1-1/8 oz, No7 shot but what loads and makes of cartridge get the best reviews?

Your recommendations please. :D

I agree but use a different brand, lyalvale supreme game. I've tried a few either side of this, particularly #6.5 for a while which received rave reviews (mainly from the guy at the time that was selling them to me in bulk) but I've come back to 6. You did ask for specifics so I told you but I'm not actually that fussed.

Well, there might possibly be a job for you. I could be doing with a French interpreter on Aug 12th and 13th. Interested?

That's a very kind response to my little quip, but I'm afraid that I've negociated all the fieldsports time I can for this year already, and Scotland's a fair trek away, especially on weekdays. That said, I'm happy to help out with any written materials or other linguistic queries you may need in the run-up. Thanks again!

I shoot some older AH Fox, Ithaca and Lefever shotguns, and was hunting quail which were holding close to the dogs before flushing in cold January days. I was using a 28 gauge bored SK SK, but found some Westley Richards 2.5 inch shells and used those in the Lefever with great results.

eley impax 6 ,later in the year might i change over to granprix still six shot ,there are no doubt better cartridges about,but i have used impax for 50 years

Eley Classic Game in 6's.

They are only available in paper cases and I like them for my hammer gun. They are coppered shot & do throw a tighter pattern than you might expect, which may or may not be useful.

Well, there might possibly be a job for you. I could be doing with a French interpreter on Aug 12th and 13th. Interested?
Now I wish I'd taken more interest in what madame Hughes was trying to teach us in school what ever it is pine Martin drop it and get the train to Scotland the glorious 12 th wow what an opportunity !

I've had good success with Eley Hi Flyer on the pigeons this year. I've been using their 32g/#5 through a full choked auto and I've had a couple of genuine 50 yard clean kills and quite a few more approaching that range. Very impressed with them.

I think I'd probably drop down to the 28g/#6 version for grouse though. I don't think you need 32g of anything to bring down a grouse, a pheasant or a pigeon, but that's just my opinion - I realise that makes me a hypocrite for shooting them, but I did just seem to "click" with them when I first tried them.

Last edited:
I've had good success with Eley Hi Flyer on the pigeons this year. I've been using their 32g/#5 through a full choked auto and I've had a couple of genuine 50 yard clean kills and quite a few more approaching that range. Very impressed with them.

QUOTE]

I resisted the other thread about what "choke do you use" and thought I previously answered this thread v responsibly but now have to admit / give in - I've recently been using up some old Eley cartridges (bit punchier than those you mention) and through a full choked "tool" - it's awesome on pigeons / crows / magpies. Apologies, nothing to do with grouse but simply agreeing with the thread above. I realised they were rangey when the magpies started dropping.

I agree but use a different brand, lyalvale supreme game. I've tried a few either side of this, particularly #6.5 for a while which received rave reviews (mainly from the guy at the time that was selling them to me in bulk) but I've come back to 6. You did ask for specifics so I told you but I'm not actually that fussed.
+1 Express Supreme Game 30g 6 --- Dogs Dangles

Must admit i would be going for 7's or 7.5's, not a paticularly strong boned/hard feathered bird and i prefer to have more shot and hopefully 1 pellet will get it in the head so ur getting a clean kill. Esp at the ranges ur likey to be shooting them.
But doesn't take them much to glide a looooong way when winged/pricked.

I generally use smaller shot even for walked up pheasant and it performs fine for me for walked up and even average driven birds, u see that state of some of the birds in the game cart and empty cases of 5's in some super high/fast load, really no need for the majority of birds shot

Enjoy ur day

Eley Classic Game in 6's.

They are only available in paper cases and I like them for my hammer gun. They are coppered shot & do throw a tighter pattern than you might expect, which may or may not be useful.

Well someone from Eley obviously reads these pages as I've just seen the above quote on the Classic Game cartridge page!

Back