Anybody watched the artic with bruce parry?

andibrains

Just wanted to see if anybody else had seen the last episode, really enjoyed seeing the native people hunting carribou with open sights, just a basic rifle no fancy gadgets, he nails three from a boat and then goes on to shoot some wildfowl aswell!!

Brilliant programme; but then I like anything like that - even Billy Connolly!!.
Bruce does make a pleasant change from Bear and Ray, though.

Fair play to the guy taking the shot, a moving rocking boat, the first shot the carribou were running and all through open sights, fair play when there is so many variables. Pity Bruce Parry was almost crying, its there way of life, good shooting.

Have to say I thought Bruce's reaction was for the cameras benefit more than anything. What was great to see was the fact that literally all of the animal gets used, bone marrow and all.

One of the best programmes on TV at present. Nice to see the old 303 lee enfield taking a caribou out. As someone has already mentioned in a rocking boat and a moving target as well!:)

Real hunting people, no frills no spills either, just honest hard working people who have respect for the environment and the animals they hunt.

Just how it should be, cant wait for next programme.

Brilliant programme, I was very impressed with his shooting skill, they didn't waste an ounce of flesh either, only the guts were left for carion. No heirs and graces with the way they did it either, sure he had a through and through with one of his shots but that was a good thing putting another beast down only needing another shot to finish it off.

Tom

Good series.
I wish Tesco sold Narwhal skin then I wouldn't need to buy oranges. Apparently more vitamin c in the old whale skin!!!!!
S.

have to say I found the oil sands mining pretty shocking, especially the 'it takes one barrel of oil to produce two barrels' in terms of energy consumption. Unbelievable, does not stop me buying diesel or using plastics tho which is the problem really. Just couldnt believe the way it used to be when they visited his dads old hunting shack

Interesting programme, but it's infected like Countryfile, Country Tracks, and similar BBC programmes with far too much footage of the 'presenter'. Beloved of TV producers it seems that these slot-ins are never off the screen, eternally popping back into shot, gabbling away to the viewer with a commentary which adds nothing in the way of useful facts. This is an insult even to couch potatoes. Do we really need these people to tell us what we can see for ourselves?

In this case we see 'explorer' Bruce Parry presenting the narrative through the usual flawed prism. All this emoting on-screen shows he hasn't bonded with his subjects, and hasn't grasped their struggle to survive. Watching this type of personal travelogue on TV infuriates me so I end up skipping through Iplayer footage afterwards set on mute.

Watch the following BBC production on a similar theme. This may have a wee bit too much music, but has a flat commentary. Thankfully, no starring performance from BP fronting his own product and maybe his own production company. There's no drama, no buildup, no moralising. Just straight footage of a native tribe battling against the odds in a shrinking world. Not so instantly forgettable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rrd7r/Human_Planet_Arctic_Life_in_the_Deep_Freeze/

Was anybody else bothered about the bloody mess the multi nationals are making?

They call it progress :( and with a huge human population on this planet to feed and keep on the move its not going to stop. I for one, along with possibly everyone else on this site hate to see such pristine wilderness rapped and destroyed. People such as the local indians are one of the last of a true breed of hunters left on this planet. It will be a sad day for mankind in general and the complete loss of who we are and where we have come from when these people and others like them, finally have to pack it all in becasue of the pressures of modern mankind.

One of the best programmes on TV at present. Nice to see the old 303 lee enfield taking a caribou out. As someone has already mentioned in a rocking boat and a moving target as well!:)

Malc
I'm used to shooting like that the way I'm puffing after climbing a hill its like shooting off a rocking boat ;)

Cracking program and peace to watch it the missus soon buggered off for a bath when the shooting started:lol:

Back to Mr Parry - He obviously was not ready for the bangs! He was fairly close to the muzzle of that rifle when the shots were taken. I think at least some of his reaction was due to him being in shock because of it. He did become a bit more rational afterwards as his brain stopped swilling round in his head!

Back