Any advice on feed for fallow?

paulbshooting

Hello, lots of fallow hefted to the neighbours and have high seats in position to cover the usual crossing points. I have put out mineral licks which are being used but would like to introduce some feed to help with the cull once season opens as lots of crop damage. The farm grows wheat and barley for seed so don't want to feed any cereal that could contaminate the crop, but any ideas on a suitable feed would be appreciated. Have fed pony carrots in winter with some success. Thanks

Hello, lots of fallow hefted to the neighbours and have high seats in position to cover the usual crossing points. I have put out mineral licks which are being used but would like to introduce some feed to help with the cull once season opens as lots of crop damage. The farm grows wheat and barley for seed so don't want to feed any cereal that could contaminate the crop, but any ideas on a suitable feed would be appreciated. Have fed pony carrots in winter with some success. Thanks

I find that lead and copper work rather well.

kind regards, Olaf

I'm sure that there is processed pellet feed for cattle & sheep available there. A generic name for it down here is "sheep & cattle nuts", its made by several different companies & usually a 25 kg bag with about 14% protein costs around the $15 Aus retail.

Fallow will enjoy this, but start them on only a few hundred grammes each for the first several days & slowly increase the availability till their rumen has adjusted before you feed it ad lib, or you'll kill them. If you stop feeding for a week then start the process again slowly. Oats are half the risk of creating an acidosis problem than any other grain (I usually choose to use oats first when starting deer on grain for this reason).

Have you thought about timed grain throwers instead of feeding out large amounts of grain? It only takes a few weeks for animals to change their routine once they discover these & they only need to throw a couple of kilo's at a feeding.

Sharkey

They've never been fed on the estate they just muller the maize plots for the cobs and love the salt licks put on a spike in a tree stump .
norma

They love whole maize, sugar/fodder beet and carrots are also good. You can buy 'pony carrots' pretty cheap.

Back