My new (second hand) Ruger M77 MKII 243

adjman

Finally brought the rifle home, now safely tucked away in the cabinet with the bolt in the safe :)
Ruger M77 MKII 243 without mod.jpg Ruger M77 MKII 243 with mod.jpg

Work has been done on the trigger to take it down to about a 2lb pull and it has a Tasco 8 x 52 scope fitted currently.

I had one of these in .22-250 and it shot great , good safety and well made . No bells or whistles but killed foxes bloody well . Just swapped it for a steyr in 243 , goes well with the .308 !

I had one aswell in .243 a few years ago, my first rifle. The trigger was the only issue i had with it, even after adjustment i wish id just changed it out. Never liked the pull on it even at 2 1/2lbs. Hope you have great sucess using it.

ATB wallace

I had one aswell in .243 a few years ago, my first rifle. The trigger was the only issue i had with it, even after adjustment i wish id just changed it out. Never liked the pull on it even at 2 1/2lbs. Hope you have great sucess using it.

ATB wallace

I have already tried it on the range with my RFD and I like the trigger, he's done a top job adjusting it and it is crisp and clean with no creep at all.

Now I can't wait to pop and pick up some Federals (RFD reccomended) and get zeroing on paper :)

I bought one of these a while back. I think they are good rifles if you don't mind doing a bit of work to them. They can also be a bit fussy on ammo. I do a bit of my own smithing so I swapped the factory trigger for a timney one and Iv'e free floated the barrel also. Mine shot 2 to 3 inch groups with federal and these shot the tightest out of 3 brands in 100grain I tried. Handloading I got it to 1 1/2. Will be trying some 85 gr Sierra HPs soon. Good enough for the woodland roe that I am using it for.

I have already tried it on the range with my RFD and I like the trigger, he's done a top job adjusting it and it is crisp and clean with no creep at all.

Now I can't wait to pop and pick up some Federals (RFD reccomended) and get zeroing on paper :)

your pretty close to me , who is your rfd ?

Congratulations Adam.

I had one of these in 7x57 about .... A long time ago. I fitted a Timney trigger , which was a huge improvement, and it shot great with hand loads using 120 NBTs. I used it on Reds, Roe, and Foxes if they showed up.

Basic and very rugged, I enjoyed it a lot and it turned me on to the calibre.

Good fortune with yours.
P

Nice rig. I have a Hawkeye 223 stainless with a laminate stock. Great rifle. Tuff as nails action and its shoots great.
The triggers are easy to get schmick. Mine is as good as any hunting rifle.

ivor is less than a mile from me , he's all I use for my gear and is a great guy . If he sold it to you you'll have no trouble from that rifle I'm sure . Nice one

I've had two shotguns and an air rifle from Ivor and he is superb to deal with. His guns are all in superb order and he does all the little tweaks he knows they need before he sells them. He's very knowledgeable and helpful and goes the extra mile every time :)

Had a MK ii in 243 it was my first deer cal and a great rifle sold it for what I paid for it and shot my first roe with it .
crack on and christen it now chap
good hunting
norma

great lookin rig adjman, may I ask , what brand of can is that?

Checking on the web and the markings on the moderator I believe it's a T4 Reflex Mod - It has been powder coated by the previous owner as it had a small mark on it, so he stripped it and powder coated it as that is his profession :)

Welcome to the club i use a M77 mk2 in .243, the federal factory should work well it does in mine, if you fancy reloading give me a call i have lots of loads worth trying, if i do my part it will regulary shoot under 1/2" and sometimes less.

The three shots ringed here in red were with this rifle using PPU ammo, 100yds seated off a picnic type bench. I'm hoping the Federal will at least match that performance :)

Adj 243 Ruger M77 Target.jpg

The three shots ringed here in red were with this rifle using PPU ammo, 100yds seated off a picnic type bench. I'm hoping the Federal will at least match that performance :)

View attachment 22288

I would be happy with that for factory ammo, or even those other groups if it was woodland stalking. Just get an idea of the average group size and set comfortable upper limit on distance for yourself and you will be fine.

I'm another M77 mk2 .243 user. As already stated federal ammo seems to work best.

In fact I think I'll pop out now for a quick stalk...as the sun is shining:D

Back