Mosquito repellent

deerwarden

Just had a client for three stalks in a wood where there are lots of ponds and water filled ditches, although we used Jungle formula and a Deet based solution as well, I'm covered in bites these things were biting me through my gloves and trousers and were easily swot-ed but the repellents became less protective as you sweat, are smelly and the Deet one caused a rash. Are there portable electronic ones that work while you are mobile or in a seat, tried face masks, trousers and sleeves tucked in, but they were biting me through my clothing where it touched flesh, over to you guys. deerwarden. :doh:

Ive just took delivery of something called skin so soft from Avon thats what I've been recommended from this site.

Skin so soft BUG GUARD plus

Jason

I'm travelling in northern queensland at the moment (lots of mozzies) I'm using an aerosol spray called bushmans at the moment and it seems quite effective.

I've found that nothing works like a head net, all the other stuff is next to useless. I usually just leave the hands out and let them get eaten. Maybe your head net doesn't have a fine enough mesh?

I took this picture some years back in the middle of May, it is hard to photograph something as small as a midge against the light but you sort of get the idea that they were so thick as to nearly blot out the sky:

midges.jpg

Just had a client for three stalks in a wood where there are lots of ponds and water filled ditches, although we used Jungle formula and a Deet based solution as well, I'm covered in bites these things were biting me through my gloves and trousers and were easily swot-ed but the repellents became less protective as you sweat, are smelly and the Deet one caused a rash. Are there portable electronic ones that work while you are mobile or in a seat, tried face masks, trousers and sleeves tucked in, but they were biting me through my clothing where it touched flesh, over to you guys. deerwarden. :doh:

I've been using a repellant called ben's 100-you have to order it from boots specially but it is great. I've used it in Scotland and in rainforests in Argentina and other countries and it has been brillianty, no bites whatsoever. It's 95% deet so you can't get it on clothes etc but it definately does the job.

when in the US we use 100% deet, try bounce tumble dryer sheets supposed to work on midges

Over the years of working in some hellish poor areas in the world, I found there was little substitute for DEET.

Mozzies etc in places like West Africa, India, Malaysia and South America to name a few didn’t like it at all.

I used to bulk buy the good old “Shoo”, once manufactured in Argyll. This was always the best I could find hands down.

It was quite aggressive to plastic however, as some of my salmon flylines and reel handles will testify but it was effective nonetheless.

Incidentally, I recently worked with the grandson of the man whose original idea for “Shoo” came from and he who told me that Canada is where it is now produced. Probably why it’s difficult to get these days??

Anyway, I have now moved onto “Lifesystems” Expedition Plus in 50+ for skin and 100+ for impregnating mozzie nets etc and find the 50+ isn’t too harsh and a decent compromise. Doesn’t sting the eyes when sweating but if you use synthetic stocks then I’d test a little spot just to be sure!

LIFESYSTEMS Bite Relief

You could always try the old tip getting hold of some Bog Myrtle if it grows in your area, rip it out the ground, mash up the plant in your hands and rub that on, a very good natural repellent which really does the trick for the Scottish midge.

Be warned though, don’t digest it, apparently it’s a hallucinogenic so god knows what you’d see peaking through the scope :eek:

It’s an ongoing battle for the holy grail of a decent non-aggressive repellent, some swear by Skin so Soft but I find you need loads of it regularly applied to be effective and you do smell like a "hoors handbag" :D

Good luck in your search.

Rigboot

I find sugar on the skin works, it rots their teeth!

They'd still have to Bite you first RED for that to work.

Anyway my sugar intake is high enough, in the amount of tea I drink. :lol:

Do you think that would still work from the INSIDE-OUT Red. ? :rofl:

Rgds, Buck.

Avon cosmetics Skin So soft been using for some years needs topping up if you sweat a lot.Even the company have realised it works

Shoo you can still get in the US of A, good stuff.
Prior to visits to India a couple of weeks before going I would start a course of brewers yeast tablets. They cantain cyanocobalamin (vit B12) which your body metabolises and leaches excess out through your sweat, the mossies dont like it and it worked for me throughout India/bangladesh etc

Mossiguard is good stuff I've used it all over West africa and never been bitten most of the guys I worked with used it aswell.

Tried a natural repellant last year called Nordic Summer worked very well, its what the Inuits in Scandinavia have been using for years.

Back