Short & to the point.

finnbear270

Got the S.A.C.S. news letter today, 95%ish of it was of full interest to me, no adverts for expensive stuff, & joke at the back made me laugh too!. ;)

I completely forgot about the SD group by in! I here nothing but good from members of S.A.C.S. I am going to just join any how. Makes sence. I get the impression that S.A.C.S is very deer orientated! Is that true?

I went in on the sd deal , so much better than basc , better value for money , and you can see why it cost less , I'm under no illusions as to why basc have to charge more . They are a massive organisation publishing what is basically a country sports magazine , that is full of adverts ! I have massive respect for them and the work they do , but I shoot on a budget and for me right now the sacs deal was the best decision .

The adverts pay for the magazine , :doh: Fed up of people on here, harping on about this one is cheaper than another, what crap your membership is the price of a couple of boxes of good ammo, and the fuel to collect them, join the group you like after doing some homework, what are they doing for your sport, minimum membership should be £100 with 50% of that going to a fund, to fight unfair gun control and purchase land to be used by young shooters and novices only. Rant over

I have just started doing humane despatch on a voluntary call out basis with my local deer group. I had to inform BASC and they extended my insurance to cover this,no charge. Does S.A.C.S offer the same?

The adverts pay for the magazine , :doh: Fed up of people on here, harping on about this one is cheaper than another, what crap your membership is the price of a couple of boxes of good ammo, and the fuel to collect them, join the group you like after doing some homework, what are they doing for your sport, minimum membership should be £100 with 50% of that going to a fund, to fight unfair gun control and purchase land to be used by young shooters and novices only. Rant over

Since I am both young and on a budget I wholeheartedly disagree with you Taff . As I said I respect the work basc do and have chosen not to renew my membership . Seeing as my car insurance is probably triple or more what yours is you probably do have a tad more free cash to support whoever you like . I look forward to being in that position .

I am using both parties to try and support our shooting ,
Ian at sacs is helping me at the moment with a variation problem and has been a great help . I have my humane dispatch insurance through BASC and have seen how they handle the media and think both are doing a great job at fighting our corner , price wise its not a great deal for either on a yearly basis ,when people spend a small fortune on guff they don't need.
without these people i don't think it would be long before our sport/management would be around for, atb wayne

There is always room for more than one organisation, and it’s up to all of us which ones we choose to support.

True enough because of the size and resources BASC is in a position to do far more media works and indeed political work than the smaller organisations, this is not a criticism it’s a simple fact.

I appreciate how if you are on a tight budget you will look to save a few quid here and there, this is only natural, and if the low cost option fits your needs so be it.

Those that have left BASC to support another organisation I can only say thank you for your support in the past and thank you for helping to fund our many political and media projects, we need to do this sort of work to keep shooting safe, if not….:(

For those that can affors the extra quid a week or so, thank you too!!:)

Best to all

David.

As David has just said join the organisation that suits you or join them all if money is no object
but realistically a lot of us are not in that position and have to make choices, as David says its maybe only a quid a week of difference but at the present time, a lot of us are having to think carefully about how we spend our cash.

At one time or another I have been a member of .

BASC formerly WAGBI
BFSS
BDS
SACS
GCC
SGA

OK BFSS is no longer in existence, does anyone know what happened to them? did they just fold or did they merge with one of the other organisations.

BFSS became CA, although for a few years the BFSS stil existed 'on paper' because there were some old standing order payments going into the account as I remember.

To help with payments some of the orgnisations offer monthly Direct Debit to spread the cost by the way.

David

Acm I most probably shoot on a smaller budget than you, drive a cheaper car and work longer hours, all of which is irrelevant, ask not what your sport can do for you, but what you can do for your sport, take game sales, when a farm animal is killed, a percentage of the cost goes to mlc, what about the same happening when you take game in?

Think there's plenty of money in the pot in the organisation you must be thinking of,Don't see any land purchases coming off, Do you?

What organisations do with their money is in the hands of the members of that organisation. All organisations are governed by a constitution which typically directly or indirectly puts the power with the members.

I am not sure how we have moved from magazines / newsletters to land purchase…but there we are.

I can see much merit in organisations helping their members to acquire and secure and develop shooting opportunities and then the members looking after that land themselves, maybe you have a different view?

I also see benefit in organisations managing shooting opportunities for members such as stalking schemes or wildfowling schemes for example, but again maybe you have a different view?

My regards

David

As David has just said join the organisation that suits you or join them all if money is no object
but realistically a lot of us are not in that position and have to make choices, as David says its maybe only a quid a week of difference but at the present time, a lot of us are having to think carefully about how we spend our cash.

At one time or another I have been a member of .

BASC formerly WAGBI
BFSS
BDS
SACS
GCC
SGA

OK BFSS is no longer in existence, does anyone know what happened to them? did they just fold or did they merge with one of the other organisations.
Ah!, W.A.G.B.I. I remember it well, Again only a stones throw from me in Watergate street.

David I think Finnbear is possibly refering to the KWA (Kent wildfowlers association) or possibly another organisation, who have purchased large areas of wildfowling for their members, and I believe continue to do so.

I have to say it might not be a bad idea for BASC to consider? after all its better to have membership money tied up in land than in a bank these days.

Kent, and other clubs have been buying land for years and this is something BASC is always on hand to help with, we employ a fully qualified land agent for example. There is always the WHT fund to help with grants and loans, and other funds can, on occasion, be available too – again our land agent can help.

Many clubs have found how beneficial it is to own land.

As I say, what BASC does with the money in the bank is a matter for the elected members.

David

Acm I most probably shoot on a smaller budget than you, drive a cheaper car and work longer hours, all of which is irrelevant, ask not what your sport can do for you, but what you can do for your sport, take game sales, when a farm animal is killed, a percentage of the cost goes to mlc, what about the same happening when you take game in?

Being a young Shepard / farmer I do know all about that . During the winter months whilst lambing I work between 18 and 22 hours a day . But granted it is normally between 12 and 16 . I drive a 4x4 as it is essential for my work . If I work out my hourly rate it I'd be better off on benefits . But I do what I love doing everyday , it keeps me fit and healthy , another reason I love stalking .and I live in some of the most beautiful land in the country in my opinion . I also insure with whoever I want , for the reasons I stated .

My original post was simply in agreement with the op , the newsletter from sacs is concise and to the point . I also said I had a lot of respect for basc and the work they do . But on this occasion , sacs was the way with me .

Read mine on the train last night. Very good and appears SACS have the eye on the ball and comitted to protect its members interests.

Seems extremly proactive in regards to issues with the granting of FAC's which is very welcolm, about time some issuing police forces were reminded that their role is to apply and work to the law not make it up as they see fit.

The director appears very committed to his role and responsibilities.

Well done.

D

Back