which 30-06?

PointBlank

I am going to be in the market for a 30-06 very soon and I haven't got a clue what to get. This is going to be a "Sunday best" rifle for highseat use or for any other opportunities that arise. I am keeping my 6.5x55 sako 85 s/s as my normal workhorse but not sure where to go with the new one.

Another sako but in wood and blue perhaps? Is it a good idea to have a similar configuration rifle?

I am going to be in the market for a 30-06 very soon and I haven't got a clue what to get. This is going to be a "Sunday best" rifle for highseat use or for any other opportunities that arise. I am keeping my 6.5x55 sako 85 s/s as my normal workhorse but not sure where to go with the new one.

Another sako but in wood and blue perhaps? Is it a good idea to have a similar configuration rifle?

Hi PB.

Both my deer rifles are of the same make, as I believe it does make life easier when under pressure / in darkness / difficult conditions etc. The personal taste within that format would be down to your preferences for the rifle in question, but to have the same form and function when using them is a good factor to have on your side.

I have a .30-06 and it is a cracking calibre, good choice.

All the best.

Neil.

Very good idea to have two rifles of same configuration - stops all that messing around fiddling with different safety catches etc - if everything is the same makes life simpler - I've got two Mannlichers - one Stutzen one Halfstock - different calibers - but otherwise the same in every respect - yeah wood and blue ie the way to go !!!

The only thing that I have been thinking about is if I have 2 M size action 85's in the safe then it is only going to be a matter of time before I leave the house with the wrong bolt! Hopefully if the new one is blued then it should stop this happening :D

Last edited:
Unless you're absolutely committed to .30-06, there's a really nice looking Sauer on here in .308 - ideal "Sunday best" rifle. Whatever, blue and wood, definitely!

Andrew

I am a huge fan of the 30-06, but of course I'm fromTexas. It is the American world standard. I've never hunted Great Britian, but am familiar with your game. That said, I'd also go for a 308. There is not enough difference, in the field, to ever know the difference. capt david

I am a huge fan of the 30-06, but of course I'm fromTexas. It is the American world standard. I've never hunted Great Britian, but am familiar with your game. That said, I'd also go for a 308. There is not enough difference, in the field, to ever know the difference. capt david

What even with the heavier bullets theres no difference I must be reading the wrong data.

Unless you're absolutely committed to .30-06, there's a really nice looking Sauer on here in .308 - ideal "Sunday best" rifle. Whatever, blue and wood, definitely!

Andrew
Probably right andrew, trouble is the variation is already in for the '06 an I think I actually would like one :D

Last edited:
Hi PointBlank

Been thinking along the same lines just recently re the 30-06, have looked & played with the Browning X Bolt Stainless Stalker in wood & Dura-Touch & despite being a dyed in the wool wood fan I must say I really liked the feel of the Dura-Touch stock (shock, horror :eek:)

Never owned a composite or synthetic rifle before although I do own a Benelli M2 synthetic camo shotgun which I'm not too enamored with I must say.

Cheers
Chris

Hi PointBlank

Been thinking along the same lines just recently re the 30-06, have looked & played with the Browning X Bolt Stainless Stalker in wood & Dura-Touch & despite being a dyed in the wool wood fan I must say I really liked the feel of the Dura-Touch stock (shock, horror :eek:)

Never owned a composite or synthetic rifle before although I do own a Benelli M2 synthetic camo shotgun which I'm not too enamored with I must say.

Cheers
Chris

I love my synthetic/stainless Sako 85 but as this isn't for everyday use i'm thinking something a little better looking may be in order, as in a more discreet scope and moderator etc...

That is where I am lost because I could easily just go and order a sako 85 hunter in wood and blued but i'm not sure that would be the best choice. :confused:

or would it?

I love my synthetic/stainless Sako 85 but as this isn't for everyday use i'm thinking something a little better looking may be in order, as in a more discreet scope and moderator etc...

That is where I am lost because I could easily just go and order a sako 85 hunter in wood and blued but i'm not sure that would be the best choice. :confused:

or would it?

Mmmm tricky, well I love my Mannlicher Half Stock in 6.5x55 its a great bit of kit but if your after something very different how about a Stutzen stocked rifle or a Ruger No1 or one of those Pfeifer Waffen bullpup rifles

Chris

A nice dilemma to have (and now you have a little money towards one :thumb:) , unless suffering from 'buck fever' i don't think that the fairly minor differences in layout - esp' safety position - makes much difference if you are keyed up and waiting with finger hovering over the safety .I also use a stainless synthetic 6.5x55 as my main stalking rifle - but i also love walnut and blue , for a 'traditional' looking rifle i love Mannnlicher's with schnabel tipped forend and hogsback butt plus barley twist barrel - definitely sunday best , but beware - it can end up as a safe queen if its too nice (i know this from experience ..... )!
Have a look at a Mannlicher lux - halfstock or full , if you wan't to try one give me a call .
Steve

if I had the dosh for a new aught six, and I didn't want to go down the custom or semi custom route, I'd probably look at either a sauer 202 or a sako, or a cz in fact, maybe the mauser. all are very nice, I'd handle and shoot them all before making a decision for sure.

The only thing that I have been thinking about is if I have 2 M size action 85's in the safe then it is only going to be a matter of time before I leave the house with the wrong bolt! Hopefully if the new one is blued then it should stop this happening :D

Excuse my ignorance but is it a requirement to store the bolts seperately if the rifle is in a locked cabinet? If not then I would leave the bolts in the respective rifles until transport and as long as you have 2 different boltholsters or have a rubber bolt knob on one of them then there should be no problem having identical rifles.

Excuse my ignorance but is it a requirement to store the bolts seperately if the rifle is in a locked cabinet? If not then I would leave the bolts in the respective rifles until transport and as long as you have 2 different boltholsters or have a rubber bolt knob on one of them then there should be no problem having identical rifles.
Not entirely sure if all counties are the same in the UK (differing interpretation of our firearms legislation between different county police forces leads to a lot of variation) but in Essex the police insist on 'easily' removable bolts being stored / locked up seperately from the rifle - in theory this is to make it more difficult for a 'working' rifle to be stolen ,just one more thing to make shooters lives slightly more difficult ..........

Not entirely sure if all counties are the same in the UK (differing interpretation of our firearms legislation between different county police forces leads to a lot of variation) but in Essex the police insist on 'easily' removable bolts being stored / locked up seperately from the rifle - in theory this is to make it more difficult for a 'working' rifle to be stolen ,just one more thing to make shooters lives slightly more difficult ..........

Essex police can insist all they like, as its not legislation, only advisory. I for one, leave mine in but it's horses for courses.
Cheers,
Fatty.

patjack

I make the assumption it's for deer. With that in mind, using 150, 165(my choice,) or 180 grain bullets, I stand by my statement. capt david

Back