6mm Creedmoor

EDCM

Anyone seen a riflre chambered in this? is this new?

I was having a look through the Hornady catalogue today, and saw that Hornady sell cases in this calibre.

I should think that it will be designed for 1:8 twist barrels for the heavier bullets

Eddie

It has exactly the same capacity as a .243 but at double or triple the cost to buy cases. Why would you bother?

It was developed by George Gardener of G.A. Precison in the U.S.A. For use in Competition. In reality it offered no distinct advantage over the .243 for hunters.

It has exactly the same capacity as a .243 but at double or triple the cost to buy cases. Why would you bother?

More option to run slower or double base powders and get velocity advantages with very long/heavy Bullets for calibre.....apparently

6mm Tac Match cartridge comparisons

Conclusions
at this point, there is a better understanding about the benefits and capabilities of these cartridges, what appeals to me may not appeal to others. My considerations for a good match cartridge include:
-short range accuracy. (tiny dot stages at 50 and 100 yards)
-long range accuracy. (know your limits and hostage stages)
-velocity. speed equals less wind drift and flatter trajectories. (UKD stages, windy matches)
-tuneability. theres no place for a great load with small nodes. barrel temps, regional temps can throw off a small node
-brass. I don't want to form or prep brass if I don't have to, theres always pieces left behind at matches.

6XC- easy, accurate, ready to go. Not the fastest, but the short and long range accuracy is there and the nodes were huge. The cartridge was very easy to tune, brass is available with a little bit of pre-planning. Brass can be formed from 22-250 if necessary, but I can tell you I wont be doing that. Both bullets used shot well, the 105 Hybrid showed an advantage at longer distances. Im torn between the 6XC and the 6CM as my first choice. the XC seems to have an accuracy advantage so Im leaning a little this way

6 Creedmoor-a little more effort in load development, but the short range accuracy was outstanding and the long range accuracy was very good. Getting the extra speed over the XC is an attraction, as is the reasonably priced and available brass. I don't know if I was running my loads too hot or not, but the primer pockets seemed to be blown out prematurely. My velocities were on par with others who shoot the CM despite I was using larger powder charges (this can be said for the other 3 tested as well). Id really like to see what the CM would do in good conditions, Im not sure I saw the complete accuracy potential because of range conditions on my long range days. Also attractive is the available power to push the 115s to a competitive speed. This should be considered with a longer throat and magnum powders

243 Winchester- The 243 surprised me with its accuracy on the 500 yard line. This with the velocity and power available offers the highest level of performance in the wind and in UKD stages. I was a little disappointed with the short range accuracy, and found the barrel to be a little fussy as mentioned earlier. but theres no denying that .25MOA long range accuracy with maximum speed is a game changer. The power to push the 115s is a realistic attraction to many as well. All in all I think that I had a little less confidence in the 243 than the XC and CM. Also after throating the chamber for longer OAL, a magazine constraint was introduced- either be set up for AW mags or find a guy with an EDM and have him burn off the forward plates in your AICS mags

6x47 Lapua- I don't see the attraction of this chambering in a tactical match rifle, it did not excel in any part of this evaluation (except the possibility of extended brass life). I found the brass forming to be frustrating and the cost of the brass was the highest of all samples. If Im going to form brass and spend top dollar on it, Id prefer to not leave it in the grass. I can see this as a varmint or benchrest cartridge, or for an application where loosing brass is less likely. Several guys shooting this have told me they get a very high number of reloads on the brass. Accuracy at 100 was good, accuracy at 500 was good, but it was the slowest cartridge tested- not by much, but my loads seemed to be best in the 2970-3000 range. I don't see what the x47 can do that the XC cant do

I recently started using CM for target and have to say in ballistics andconsistency terms its hands down the best calibre I have used todate. About to start looking at 900yrd plus so see how it copes when stretching its legs.

It would be interesting to see how the 6mm Lee Navy cartridge, used by the U.S. Marine Corps in the 1890s, would compare with today's lighter bullets and powder selection. It fired a 112-gr bullet at 2,650+ fps from a carbine.

Lots of tinkering with new cartridges for very little improvement over the original 6mm Navy, 6.5x55 Swede, 7mm Mauser, 8x57IS, .30-06, 7x64 and .375 H&H. But it has been a lot of fun, like race cars benefiting passenger cars.

Back