Heart and lungs

nuttyspaniel

Im in need for a heart and lungs. I just picked my GWP last night and woud like to start his training ASAP. Im between rifes at the moment so as much as I wouldlove I cant jump out and get 1.... Oh Central Scotland please.

nutty

Im in need for a heart and lungs. I just picked my GWP last night and woud like to start his training ASAP. Im between rifes at the moment so as much as I wouldlove I cant jump out and get 1.... Oh Central Scotland please.

nutty

i take it the new dog is 8weeks old, what sort of training do you plan to do with such a young dog?

1995rs

i take it the new dog is 8weeks old, what sort of training do you plan to do with such a young dog?

1995rs

14 weeks and simple basic scent training. A piece of lung/ heart pulled over the floor about 1 meter in length then let the pup follow "trail" until it finds its little reward at the end.

nutty

Tried my 10 week Dachshund round the garden last week, dragged a lightly bloodied front leg / hoof about 10 metres across wet grass did a few 90 degree turns and he followed it to the leg perfectly. Little steps but I was pleased. Obviously an easy trail to follow but at 10 weeks you can't do too much with them. Nothing wrong with starting early I'd say!

Tried my 10 week Dachshund round the garden last week, dragged a lightly bloodied front leg / hoof about 10 metres across wet grass did a few 90 degree turns and he followed it to the leg perfectly. Little steps but I was pleased. Obviously an easy trail to follow but at 10 weeks you can't do too much with them. Nothing wrong with starting early I'd say!

Excellent.I cant wait to get strated once Ive got him settled in. Im absolutely shattered, I got a few naps on the couch last night till 2.30 went to bed up at 6.30 walked him, got him fed and I have just put him in the kennel for a while to get used to it. Im glad I waited till 9ish for that, he aint happy.

nutty

HI NUTTY, I would let him settle in,for few weeks,let him find his paws, and keep any training too a mimimum, go at pups pace ,and most off all make it fun all fun for one so young good luck,

HI NUTTY, I would let him settle in,for few weeks,let him find his paws, and keep any training too a mimimum, go at pups pace ,and most off all make it fun all fun for one so young good luck,

Cheers thats my plan.;)

nutty

Nutty

I agree that a puppy needs its 'puppy' time but training a tracking dog (I have very little experience) is vastly different to training a gun dog (I have a fair bit of experience).

Personally I would just use a piece of deerskin dragged across the grass and let him follow it. He will, without having to use heart or lungs. he is not too young for that and should/will see this as a game if it is kept as fun.

meant to add that if he is reluctant to start and follow the track make it a short track (20ft - 30ft) with his food at the end under the skin but don't let him see you place the food there. he will soon get the hang of it.

Last edited:
Nutty

I agree that a puppy needs its 'puppy' time but training a tracking dog (I have very little experience) is vastly different to training a gun dog (I have a fair bit of experience).

Personally I would just use a piece of deerskin dragged across the grass and let him follow it. He will, without having to use heart or lungs. he is not too young for that and should/will see this as a game if it is kept as fun.

Again I wont dissagree and all I want to do is let him have fun. Lets face it how does a dog learn its name? I call it kindergarden training or perhaps you could call it nursery school.

Nutty

I can only pass on what I have been told by guys who know their stuff. Are you planning to use a tracking lead and collar/harness at all or always work him off the lead?

The fun part is when you see them knocking bits out of the found deerskin! Lol...

agreed with whats been posted so far, all thats needed is blood/scent association with food at this point,couple mater square on the lawn drag a pluck or skin around and scatter some dry dog food around on it, let your hound hoover it up.
as with are puppy training keep it fun.

Tony

I can only pass on what I have been told by guys who know their stuff. Are you planning to use a tracking lead and collar/harness at all or always work him off the lead?

The fun part is when you see them knocking bits out of the found deerskin! Lol...

Im still pondering that. I fancy a harness but a led collar will be handy especially at night. I may combine the 2!!

Nutty

as jamross says just on what i have been taught from my Danish tracking friend who does 200+ live tracks per year.

Im still pondering that. I fancy a harness but a led collar will be handy especially at night. I may combine the 2!!

Nutty

Mixed feelings about tracking at night Nutty, dangerous for the dog and you and I have honestly never done it. No deer is worth your dog losing an eye in trees or both or worse...

I have a GWP (almost 10 now) and because I did not know any better at the time she just got to run free to find deer on hot scent and she would kind of track and quarter into the wind as well. Any failings on her part were failings in the training on my part.

My thoughts on it, based on my experiences then and now would be to train him to track on the collar and lead, build it up to being able to follow a track 24hrs old, then when it is dark you know he will cope easily with the overnight one for the beast that is left till the morning.

Oh I should say Im trying to go by Neil Sonderlands book. Which all makes sense to me.

Nutty

Between that book and as Tony says, input from guys that really do know their stuff you won't go far wrong...

If you want to understand how the dog 'works' Scent and the Scenting Dog by Syrotuck is well worth the read as well...

It is not about working dogs for deer as such but it does help you understand why they may find something easy at times, others hard and on occasion may fail.

without wanting to get into a debate about which training method is used(both methods achieve the same end your dog will end up tracking just scent) as a UK stalker you will wont a dog which has the ability to track a cold scent as well as something you have just shot.

good luck with your training and if you need any help you can pm me and i am sure jamross will say the same.

tony

nutty
Hello nuttyspaniel, can I suggest this, contact Jon Snowdon at Greenlee, Northumberland (Roestalker) on this site he is doing Red prep days, you could attend and kill two birds with one stone? another suggestion is Iam going to Lochearnhead on Thursday 8th November 2012, and I would be willing to meet you with said requirments as I will be attending another course at Greenlee before then, I could ask Jon for the heart & lungs, freeze them, and hand them over to you... if that helps??

patrickt

Mixed feelings about tracking at night Nutty, dangerous for the dog and you and I have honestly never done it. No deer is worth your dog losing an eye in trees or both or worse...

I have a GWP (almost 10 now) and because I did not know any better at the time she just got to run free to find deer on hot scent and she would kind of track and quarter into the wind as well. Any failings on her part were failings in the training on my part.

My thoughts on it, based on my experiences then and now would be to train him to track on the collar and lead, build it up to being able to follow a track 24hrs old, then when it is dark you know he will cope easily with the overnight one for the beast that is left till the morning.

When I said night I was meaning last light. Youll know yourself how dark it is under a sea of Sitka on a dull day let aline last light.

Nutty

Back