Which 4x4

Grand Slam

Evening everyone,

As the title states I'm looking for a 4x4 but a bit stuck on which to go for. This will not be a brand new buy (far from it). More likely to be a cheap second hand car from Ebay or the likes. I did have a Suzuki Vitara and loved it so that is an option but I have also come across a few Daihatsu Fourtax's so my question is:

Has anyone either got a Daihatsu or had experience with them. My only experience of them is when I was younger and there used to be one on the farm that I worked at.

Any help would be appreciated.

Adam

A budget (if it is not being to nosey would be helpful) the fourtrak has had its day, yes there are a number around but the exporters like them so parts are thin on the ground.

If you want a full time job then get a landy....(where is rd when you need a comment )

What do you need one for begs the question

Tim.243

A budget (if it is not being to nosey would be helpful) the fourtrak has had its day, yes there are a number around but the exporters like them so parts are thin on the ground.

If you want a full time job then get a landy....(where is rd when you need a comment )

What do you need one for begs the question

Tim.243

Sorry I should of put in some more information.

The vehicle will be used mainly for off road use but need it to be roadworthy to get me to/from where I shoot. Looks are not important as I plan to strip the back out to accomodate for all my gear. Budget at the minute is between £450 - £700 so really not expecting too much. I am a qualified mechanic so I can pretty much do most jobs if required on it.

Adam

If it's real off-road capability that you want and interior space is not critical, then what about a Suzuki Jimny.

Unless you want to spend a lot of time carrying out repairs then I would stay well clear of Landrovers !

An old Defender would be best, but reliability will be an issue. Same with an old Discovery. A fourtrak might be possible, but they are all pretty old now and eat fuel like it's 1970's America! A good Vitara would fit the bill. A Jimny would be good too, but if you intend to use it on the road you won't enjoy it!

Well the distance to where I stalk is about 55 miles so not the shortest of journeys. I do like the Vitara's. Only reason I got rid of last one is because it was going to cost me more to fix it than what it cost me. Got my eye on a few just now so will see what comes of them. Just need to sell my little 106 to fund it.

For the money, can't go wrong with a simple Frontera. If you're not doing big mileage, doesn't matter petrol or diesel. Something like this :

Much loved frontera sport | United Kingdom | Gumtree

Run 2 of these, both short wheel based sport models, the 1st a 2.8 tdi for 8 years, sold at 160k and the only spend, a new clutch and the 2nd, a 2.2 dti for the last 7 years, now on 70k, the only spend a new front pipe/cat and a few vacuum pipes.

Fold the back seats forward and you've loads of space without removing them plus it provides a good hiding place for the guns underneath the folded seats. Both decent on road and off-road performance, and I've done my fair share off road (previously owned a number of kitted out Suzuki SJ's). Of course it's no SJ but it's not the trouble you get with a LR (you need to be a mechanic), it's plenty spacious unlike a Daihatsu which is useless off road and on (done lots of off-road lamping with colleagues in these).

Whatever vehicle you get though, to use it off-road, it'll need decent tyres as 4 wheels spinning are no better than 2.

Anyway, the Frontera does the job admirably, can take the roof off as a lamping vehicle if required, can pull a trailer/quad all day. The 2.2 was a little flat in standard format but a performance chip turned it into a different vehicle. Even standard though, ideal SUV for you.

DM

For the money, can't go wrong with a simple Frontera. If you're not doing big mileage, doesn't matter petrol or diesel. Something like this :

Much loved frontera sport | United Kingdom | Gumtree

Run 2 of these, both short wheel based sport models, the 1st a 2.8 tdi for 8 years, sold at 160k and the only spend, a new clutch and the 2nd, a 2.2 dti for the last 7 years, now on 70k, the only spend a new front pipe/cat and a few vacuum pipes.

Fold the back seats forward and you've loads of space without removing them plus it provides a good hiding place for the guns underneath the folded seats. Both decent on road and off-road performance, and I've done my fair share off road (previously owned a number of kitted out Suzuki SJ's). Of course it's no SJ but it's not the trouble you get with a LR (you need to be a mechanic), it's plenty spacious unlike a Daihatsu which is useless off road and on (done lots of off-road lamping with colleagues in these).

Whatever vehicle you get though, to use it off-road, it'll need decent tyres as 4 wheels spinning are no better than 2.

Anyway, the Frontera does the job admirably, can take the roof off as a lamping vehicle if required, can pull a trailer/quad all day. The 2.2 was a little flat in standard format but a performance chip turned it into a different vehicle. Even standard though, ideal SUV for you.

DM

Cheers mate for your views. Never even thought of these. Always thought they were unreliable so didn't even consider it. Might have to have a look now

I've just gone to a Hilux but before that I had a Daihatsu Terios and a Frontera Sport. The Frontera was excellent, nothing wrong with the Terios but was a bit underpowered. But both should do the job for you.

An old Defender would be best, but reliability will be an issue. Same with an old Discovery. A fourtrak might be possible, but they are all pretty old now and eat fuel like it's 1970's America! A good Vitara would fit the bill. A Jimny would be good too, but if you intend to use it on the road you won't enjoy it!

Defender's are only fit for Hobbits!

Cheers mate for your views. Never even thought of these. Always thought they were unreliable so didn't even consider it. Might have to have a look now

A bit to add about the Frontera, the owner of a dive shop I taught at had a 2.8d lwb, we used to load it to the gunnels with dive tanks, open water weight belts, all manor of shtie. Then tear arse to a lake in Peterborough many times in the winter season. Same amount of kit on board to the south coast, it pulled like a train.

Liked a bit of juice but it was 2.8 and working hard, I had forgot about it until the op mentioned it...

My best wagon was a 3.3L Nissan Patrol SWB which I brought after stupidly selling a mint 2.6 lwb Patrol.

But we all loved my Pajero lwb auto for foxing....lol
STA60361-1.jpg
STA60374.jpg

Tim.243

Freelander 1 (petrol or diesel) - mine's petrol - have just put General AT2's on mine and it does the business off road. Fold seats forward and lock and you've got decent space in the back - only thing I've had to do to it in the last 4 years is put a new cat on.

Not to be overlooked and can be cheap as chips

Bought my Vitara for £800 with 50k on the clock. 4 years later it is on 101k and sailed through every MOT other than a sidelight bulb! Just had it MOT'd again with not so much as an advisory!
I might look at a Shogun Pinin next though as the older Vitara's are getting scarce now. Toyota Rav4 is another contender. The Jimny's are awesome, but tiny and very thirsty! Grand Vitaras aren't too bad either. Freelanders suffer badly with transmission issues and will cost you money for sure. My Vitara certainly owes me nothing and my last one was the same. I just wish there was a newer equivalent!
MS

Back