Federal .270 and meat damage?

wildfowler.250

Does anyone use the federal vital shock (ballistic tips) in .270 for deer stalking? And if so, what's the meat damage like? I've tried a few soft points but these seem to group a lot better so was going to stick with them. Might get an outing at the hinds over the next few weeks and the estate rifle is a .243. Apparently the stalker uses a .243 because the meat damage is minimal so I was wondering if using the .270 would be frowned upon?

appreciate any info. I haven't tried these particular bullets on deer myself yet but I know ballistic tips and deer is always a controversial area anyway.

Many thanks!

I use/used 130gn Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 270wsm, so probably about 150-200fps quicker than std 270.

It all depends what you hit, where you hit it, and how far away it is.

They can be a bit severe on roe under 100 yards or so especially if they catch a rib or bone on their way, but are absolutely great on reds and fallow.

You'll also possibly find that if a pro-stalker is using 243 on reds that he will be head/neck shooting to get the best venison prices, which the 243 is fab for. But can be marginal on chest shots if placement is less than ideal.

You don't mention your experience, or where you may be stalking, these points would also make a difference, eg if you are on the hill, where wind and longer shots are more likely the 270 would be better in my opinion, if you are in a wood in a highseat shooting at 70 yards with a nice solid rest the 243 will be ample.

I would be very surprised if any stalker wouldn't take you out with a 270 on the hinds.

Good luck.

I use/used 130gn Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 270wsm, so probably about 150-200fps quicker than std 270.

It all depends what you hit, where you hit it, and how far away it is.

They can be a bit severe on roe under 100 yards or so especially if they catch a rib or bone on their way, but are absolutely great on reds and fallow.

You'll also possibly find that if a pro-stalker is using 243 on reds that he will be head/neck shooting to get the best venison prices, which the 243 is fab for. But can be marginal on chest shots if placement is less than ideal.

You don't mention your experience, or where you may be stalking, these points would also make a difference, eg if you are on the hill, where wind and longer shots are more likely the 270 would be better in my opinion, if you are in a wood in a highseat shooting at 70 yards with a nice solid rest the 243 will be ample.

I would be very surprised if any stalker wouldn't take you out with a 270 on the hinds.

Good luck.

Thanks very much floyd! It's hill stalking so I always thought the .270 would be a better shout. Gives more margin for error and better for the wind as you say. I'll ask him and see what he thinks but thought I would be better off checking on here first.

Cheers again!

I have found using heavy for calibre bullets gives less meat damage. Especially in the plastic tip flavours.

I tried 130/140 and 150gn. The 150's punch in and out without blowing up or over expanding. The starting velocity is lower so less bruising is evident when you skin the beast. They also give better penetration at oblique angles that are sometimes unavoidable than the faster lighter stuff. I even use them on Roe...again way too heavy, but minimal damage.

The best I ever tried was 150gn round nose soft point from Federal. I used them in thick brush on Fallow. It used to flatten the beast DRT without being deflected by twigs etc. Again little hole in slightly bigger hole out...perfect. Of course I can't find them any more so back to the pointy offerings.:(

ATB

Cheers for the reply! I'd have thought the plastic tipped bullets would have been worse so that's good to know.

did they stop making the 150 federals or can you just not get them locally?

I use the Federal Vital Shok Nosler BTs in my 7mm-08 (140gr) and everything I've shot with them has dropped like a rock. Now admittedly that's a small sample, but they all go straight through the deer, and they seem to power through soft bits and bone alike. Meat damage on one deer was due to sub-optimal shot placement, not the bullet. I've also found them to be the most accurate rounds I've used in my rifle, although there's precious little difference with the Power Shoks with 150gr Speer HotCor bullets. I haven't used those on deer yet though, so can't speak for them. Anyway, Nosler BTs seem to be the business.

The sectional density of a 150gn 270 is about the same as a 190gn 30cal bullet. Bullet performance should (imo) be compared by SD between the various calibres and not weight. That will give you a better comparison on terminal performance.

Federal still list the 150gn RN but I can't get any and I home load anyway. I would like to find some at a reloading supplier but as I said, no joy.

The Federal I used were giving 2867fps from a 23" barrel. I load the 150 Ballistic tips to 2910fps with Re-loader 22 with no pressure signs and good case life. Like I said, I've stopped faffing about with different bullets weights now and use 150gn for everything.

Until another bullet manufacture starts shipping bullets this side of the pond in quantity and quality I'll stay with Nosler...simply because that's what I can get.

ATB

personally i find bullet placement and bullet construction much more important when it comes to meat damage

you can have the heaviest for calibre bullet you want with a solid construction, you put it through both shoulders and you had better like sausages!

130gr Norma in 270 is a very well made bullet (IMO)
very rarely had poor displays of meat damage regardless of where it landed

personally i find bullet placement and bullet construction much more important when it comes to meat damage

you can have the heaviest for calibre bullet you want with a solid construction, you put it through both shoulders and you had better like sausages!

130gr Norma in 270 is a very well made bullet (IMO)
very rarely had poor displays of meat damage regardless of where it landed

I agree bullet construction will help reduce meat damage. However the higher velocity the lighter bullets travel at, will give more bruising due to that fact alone. I had the entire front end of a red hind rejected because of bruising alone...and it was a perfect heart lung shot with no damage to the either shoulder.

The heavy for calibre bullet allows you to use a bullet that is inferior in construction. The high SD ensures it behaves more like a superior bullet. The lower velocity reduces the size of the temporary bullet cavity on impact and reduces bruising.

I know there are excellent bullets out there but you can never seem to get enough regularly to be able to rely on them. I used the Swift Scirocco in 130gn along with the A-frame and the Nolser Partition. The bruising from the high velocity 130gn was the same...game dealers drop the price due to extensive bruising.. The cartridge was designed for long range hunting and TBH we don't do that this side of the pond so the "flat" trajectory the 130's give is irrelevant.

Of course each to their own with bullet selection, but when you've finished playing with the ubiquitous 130gn give the 150's a go. It makes a better meat harvester IMO.

ATB

Back