Wanted: Stalking experince..

stickout.

hi all, been shooting for a 20 years , but have never experienced stalking, had use of military arms. 12g and hunt with air power. pride myself on feild craft, have own camo. take pics and video of wild deer. but never gone out with a stalker.
Would any kind member near the plymouth area, like to let me join for a stalk . happy not to pull a trigger, just like to add it to my knowledge base. gladly film it for them as a memento.
regards Greg.:cool::rolleyes:

i cant belive at 80 veiws no 1 has said anything not even a "! get stuffed".:cool::cool:
i aint that scary ...:lol::lol:

Opinions will vary widely, but I suspect a lot of folk will find your request 'odd'. If you want to experience stalking, pay for a day and go and stalk somewhere. I can't recall ever going out and just 'watching'. Regards JCS

i do not hold a fac ticket there for iam not legally allowed to shot and wanting to observe doesn't sound that odd. you must of watched somebody to get you started? or did you wake up one morning and go iam a deer stalker today? thanks for the reply. Greg

hi mate cant help you out but you dont need an fac to go deerstalking with a guide under the estate rifle rules you can try it and see if its for you . this will also put you in good stead if you find it is for you and you go ahead with an fac application, atb wayne

Opinions will vary widely, but I suspect a lot of folk will find your request 'odd'. If you want to experience stalking, pay for a day and go and stalk somewhere. I can't recall ever going out and just 'watching'. Regards JCS

You came out and just watched me {perform my magic} :lol:

Read and digest what John and Wayne have told you, the stalking world is a very friendly place but it is like stalking, things happen slowly. I think a little use of the search facility re estate rifle and paid stalks may help you out a little. People need to know exactly what your situation is re shooting, you say you have been shooting for 20 years from that the natural assumption would be you have a FAC, a little more information would help.

Also stalkers are wary of taking people onto their shooting areas as people in the past have been taken onto land and the gone behind their hosts back, offered big money to the land owner for the sporting rights to the land and effectively stolen the ground. So have a little patience, do a little research and maybe re think your situation.

John

Read and digest what John and Wayne have told you, the stalking world is a very friendly place but it is like stalking, things happen slowly. I think a little use of the search facility re estate rifle and paid stalks may help you out a little. People need to know exactly what your situation is re shooting, you say you have been shooting for 20 years from that the natural assumption would be you have a FAC, a little more information would help.

Also stalkers are wary of taking people onto their shooting areas as people in the past have been taken onto land and the gone behind their hosts back, offered big money to the land owner for the sporting rights to the land and effectively stolen the ground. So have a little patience, do a little research and maybe re think your situation.

John

John. Ive only ever needed air power. as i live in a crap little flat in a dodgy area of plymouth having that much fire power around here would be an instant invite to the yobs. yes Ive been shooting for a long time, did 8 years in army cadets 6 of those as a junior instructor teaching cadets the things they needed to do well in it , and shooting all military hardware available to us, Ive shot 12g for around 6 years every weekend after woodies and game birds. using the ruling that a shotgun cert holder can instruct somebody else from a safe distance using his ticket only and his gun. Iam not after any land as Iam lucky enough to shot my own shoots total 2000 acres. Iam just after the experience of learning from a stalker, Iam not after shooting them just the knowledge of the stalk, and would never dream of taking some body's shoot Ive had that done to me its not nice.I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE UP STALKING AT THE CURRENT POINT IN MY LIFE. JUST WOULD LIKE TO SHADOW SOMEBODY THAT DOES..Iam happy with my air shooting. maybe from somebody giving me the chance to shadow them they could have the favor returned and come shooting with me. i understand your world is "clicky" and dark and secret. for all the obvious reasons. but let a fellow hunter in knowledge is the greatest gift you can give and receive in this world . i didn't have any body to teach me i learned the bloody hard way. with my face in the dirt crawling on my belly to get the rabbit in the bag. as i dont want to pull the trigger paying to shot 1 is not what Iam after. its a bit like not having a driving license but buying a car, pointless.hope this helps.

this is the title on this forum for these pages>>
[h=1]Forum: Deer Stalking Opportunities[/h] Deer stalking available, swap a stalk or seeking stalking or witnessing.

and the last word is just what i would like to do..

I started 32 years ago after selling A TV to a forestry commision stalker, we spoke about rifles and shotguns in my shop,and he asked if I would like to see some deer. Two weeks later I saw and took a picture of a roe doe, and was hooked from that moment with the beauty of the young doe tiptoeing through some brambles. Charlie went on to become my stalking mentor, one of my longest firm friends, and best man at my 2nd wedding, the only time he's ever let me down. It's not a major thing this guy is asking, just to go out with someone and observe, and film it for both of them, must be someone out there with some human kindness to let him see what our passion is, and sample it as well. deerwarden :tiphat:

... you must of watched somebody to get you started? ....

I can't remember when I saw my first deer, but I do remember watching a stag coming into the larder for the first time when I was about six years old and getting given the .270 bullet that had killed it.

Picking up on John's comments earlier in the thread, you could join your local BDS branch? Once folk have met you in the flesh, I hope you'll find it a bit easier to progress your ambitions.

Regards JCS

Last edited:
I don't think it is odd to want to learn more about deerstaking in the way that is being proposed.

Unfortunately unless you have a lot of money to get you started it is harder than you would think to find someone to accompany a stalker. I would have thought there are a high percentage that view this kind of approach with suspicion for the reasons mentioned. There must also be a high percentage that would like to oblige but can't due to the situation with their permission, either set procedures by a deer management group or just estate politics.

Many on here will sympathize with your situation. I hope you find something.

I started 32 years ago after selling A TV to a forestry commision stalker, we spoke about rifles and shotguns in my shop,and he asked if I would like to see some deer. Two weeks later I saw and took a picture of a roe doe, and was hooked from that moment with the beauty of the young doe tiptoeing through some brambles. Charlie went on to become my stalking mentor, one of my longest firm friends, and best man at my 2nd wedding, the only time he's ever let me down. It's not a major thing this guy is asking, just to go out with someone and observe, and film it for both of them, must be someone out there with some human kindness to let him see what our passion is, and sample it as well. deerwarden :tiphat:

Thankyou from seeing from my side of the fence. as stalkers you live up to your names, all this cloak and dagger stuff. i get it. but i cant just buy a big bore fac and think iam a stalker now, we all need to pass the knowledge on ive stated iam an air power man, but ive added up all my kit £1500 so far and iam still collecting bits, so iam serious in my sport and passion for it. if i can spend 2 hours justifying killing a bunny i must be in love with shooting.

Last edited:
I don't think it is odd to want to learn more about deerstaking in the way that is being proposed.

Unfortunately unless you have a lot of money to get you started it is harder than you would think to find someone to accompany a stalker. I would have thought there are a high percentage that view this kind of approach with suspicion for the reasons mentioned. There must also be a high percentage that would like to oblige but can't due to the situation with their permission, either set procedures by a deer management group or just estate politics.

Many on here will sympathize with your situation. I hope you find something.

i agree my kit value so far is £1500. iam even offering a free video of it as a thank you, and will gladly take some one out rabbit shooting, even before we go stalking, i know stalkers there the ones in gun shops come and go like ninjas, stop and chat to other shooting sports groups, u never know rabbit goes well when youve had your fill on bambi.

Back