Misfire prblem

ajr

Recently I have a few misfires, I am using my nickel cases I did have an awful job in seating the primers in some of the cases but eventually they appeared to be fully seated. On examination of the primer the pin has hit the primer with a good indentation is the reason for the misfire is that the primer was not seated correctly or should I discard the primers and buy new?
Thanks in advance for your replies

Buy some new quality brass and start again from scratch would be my suggestion. I wasted a lot of time and powder mucking around with second division brass. Regards JCS

As Finnbear says you've possibly damaged the primer seating it. Some case and primer combinations can be incompatible due to differences of only a micron or so. I'm pretty much with JCS as regards nickel cases and avoid them like the plague as they are not worth the effort.

If really you want to reload nickel plated cases it would be wise to swage & / or ream out the primer pockets to ensure proper fit & seating of the primers.
Also use a primer loading tool with plenty of "feel" so you get feedback as you seat the primers. Any that exhibit higher or lower resistance should be discarded.

Ian

Had some experience of nickel cases today when we visited Calton Moor pipe range, same load same bullet weight as the plain brass loads (a buddies setup)..... Extraction difficult, .... Not good scenario for poking at deer, groups a lot less tight too.

Recently I have a few misfires, I am using my nickel cases I did have an awful job in seating the primers in some of the cases but eventually they appeared to be fully seated. On examination of the primer the pin has hit the primer with a good indentation is the reason for the misfire is that the primer was not seated correctly or should I discard the primers and buy new?
Thanks in advance for your replies

I've re-used nickel plated (Federal) brass in my 7-08 without any problems. I ream out the primer pockets of all of my brass using a Sinclair primer pocket uniformer and have had no problems using Remington, Federal, and CCI primers. The only primer I have had minor problems with is the Prvi primer which was a tight fit in some US made brass. That said, their operation has proven superb in several of my rifles. My nephew (an army sniper) shot a 1/2 MOA group at 300 yards on Century range last weekend with my Springfield M1903 using the battle sights. So clearly the Prvi primers are excellent.

Your problem may be that the primers are not fully seated and the firing pin's energy is being wasted pushing the primer forwards. Either buy or borrow a primer pocket uniformer (there are several makes available) or buy some new quality brass. The first option is probably cheapest. Uniforming the primer pockets is a once only operation.

-JMS

Back