gun cabinet surround ideas ?

Devil_Bri

We are hopefully moving into a bungalow in the near future. As there is no under stairs cupboard to hide my cabinets in i need to get some ideas of how to hide the cabinets in one of the rooms i.e wooden surrounds etc
I done a google search and noticed some for sale but at £2k and up !! No thanks
Anyone got any advice and photos of their set up ?
The surround will obviously have to be given final approval by she who must be obeyed ! Lol

An ikea wardrobe with the back cut out does me.
Does the safe then sit on the wardrobe floor or do your cut the base of the wardrobe out and let the safe sit on the floor ?
Reason i ask, is that we have a couple of ikea cupboards and they are flimsy enough without making any alterations

it can sit on floor ,just fix through ,be a bit of a pig when you want to change the said cupboard tho,measure base and cut around it, or just make said frame solid before fixing around safe, and you could also get some spray glue and cover the safe with matching wallpaper! then get stanley blade to slide around the doors,:rofl: ps dont use flock paper someone will shoot at it, sorry couldnt resist,

Last edited:
I use a free standing wardrobe. A piece of MDF is fitted to the back of the wardrobe above the height of the skirting board so that it stands flush to the wall. Then it's just a case of drilling through the back of the wardrobe, through the wood into the wall to secure the cabinet. I have a small ammo cabinet on the shelf above in the wardrobe secured in the same way and beside the cabinet there's another bigger safe for shotgun cartridges.

If you use a shallower shotgun type cabinet, you can even still have the bar across to hang your shooting clothes one side of the wardrobe (but obviously if you have scoped rifles in there they have to be in a bit diagonally to fit, so that decreases the number of guns you can get in there).

Does the safe then sit on the wardrobe floor or do your cut the base of the wardrobe out and let the safe sit on the floor ?
Reason i ask, is that we have a couple of ikea cupboards and they are flimsy enough without making any alterations

Mine sits on the wood - floating on the wall if you like.

Hi I had a gunsafe in a bedroom wardrobe, it was a real pain when we had family staying so i built one out of some character grade oak, the wife is very pleased with it.cab 2.jpgcabinet.jpg cheers Geoff

You could do as a chap that I knew did years ago. He owned a very long barreled muzzle loading shotgun that wouldn't fit in his gun cabinet so he cut a hole in the top and stuck the barrel through the top of the cabinet. On top of that he placed a lamp shade and he draped a long coat over the cabinet. I kid you not, this stood in his living room.

Hi,
if This cabinet is what you want by all means take a copy of the photo and find a local carpenter to make one for you, it probably wont be cheap but will last a lifetime, cheers Geoff

Similar problem here, we moved from a 3 bed semi with two large cupboards with supporting walls into a 2 bed bungalow with one internal cupboard and no decent wall to fix into.

Solution was to fix to the external wall in the main bedroom so bought a large Ikea PAX Wardrobe, 201x100x58cm. Fitted a 4x4" wood frame under the base to support it and it now has two gun safes (10 & 5) and two ammo cabinets in it. PC Plod was very happy with it :D

If you change your cabinet for a bigger one, get a 2nd cabinet or change the location within the same house, are you required by law to get the FEO to come round and check any changes?

Stratts

Not sure if it's law but any change in the security/storage details which were given at the time you were granted an SGC or FAC should be notified.

Some forces will accept notification over the phone others will come and have a look. That said, I notified mine I'd fitted another cabinet and they said they'd need to inspect it but never bothered turning up!.

Last edited:
Back