Pan and tilt bipods. Where from?

You don't say the intended use. There are all sorts of tripods, and you can just buy the heads, with PTZ and even fluid damping for tracking shots on movie film or video.

Small, light weight tripods are available from Sony, Manfrotto, Panasonic, and other makers. If you are going to swap what you mount, look into one with a QD slot, so that you can mount the matching QD plate on your camera, spotting scope, large binoculars, etc.

Go look at Amazon, OpticsPlanet, Cameraland, and SWFA to get an idea.
But I have picked up some nice tripods at thrift shops and garage sales, for a fraction of new cost.

You don't say the intended use. There are all sorts of tripods, and you can just buy the heads, with PTZ and even fluid damping for tracking shots on movie film or video.

Small, light weight tripods are available from Sony, Manfrotto, Panasonic, and other makers. If you are going to swap what you mount, look into one with a QD slot, so that you can mount the matching QD plate on your camera, spotting scope, large binoculars, etc.

Go look at Amazon, OpticsPlanet, Cameraland, and SWFA to get an idea.
But I have picked up some nice tripods at thrift shops and garage sales, for a fraction of new cost.

Bipod for a rifle.

P

If I were going to use a tripod on a rifle, I would definitely put a camera threaded insert into the stock just ahead of the receiver, and thumbscrew a QR adapter plate onto that, so I could carry a very small, table top tripod in my shoulder bag. You would probably be using it from a sitting position, and this will give you more range of movement of the point of aim than a bipod out near the front sling stud, better balance, less stock stress.

You could even make a little padded U-shaped cradle for the rifle, on the tripod, and just rest the rifle on it.

Last edited:
Back