HWV info please

Dave C

Hi Lads & Lasses,
I am thinking of getting in a HWV pup, i have owned a GWP before who was a cracking dog, i then went onto Labs and Spaniels as i was doing more Syndicate shooting.
I still shoot on my small syndicate shoot as well as alot of Rough shooting, but i also now have the chance of some Stalking.
I am down to one Lab and think its the right time to bring in a pup, my GWP was a good dog but i think a HWV would be better suited when i am game shooting, i know people probably think i should stick to Labs and Springers (which i do like) but i also like that bit different, if you know what i mean.

I like a dog that will also get into the thick cover when needed, which strains of HWV are most suited to hard hunting.
I also like the tighter coated strains, can anyone advice on the best lines and possible breeders please.

ATB
Dave.

Yeh the info on here is better than most HPR / Gundog forums:thumb:, thats what i want is info of Lads that really work them, not just the wannabees and show folk.
I am at Teesdale in Co Durham, work the dogs mainly on the upper Teesdale fells, but also do abit on lowland woods and Farmland.
Cheers
Dave.

Gonegos line bred by Roy Bebbington is highly respected by working dog owners in many disciplines. True wire coats. Google him he will pop up all over the place.

Hi Dave,

I have a gonegos bred dog and a gonegos sired dog. Roy is only based just outside Richmond and he will take you out with the dogs and show you what there capable of. Regarding coats if you don't have pick of the litter it can be pot luck I'm afraid and a responsible breeder will always tell you they will not be able to guarantee the coat.

One thing to consider though are you wanting the pup docked As Roy doesn't get his done anymore.

Where are you based? Quite s few of my wife's family farm in Teesdale her parents have a farm in Harwood.

I had a good chat with Roy, but all his pups are spoken for.

So just to give you an update on this thread.
I made the plunge and got one.:D

This is Beau (pronounced Bow)

Beaupup073.jpg

Beaupup099.jpg

Beaupup109.jpg

Her first Point :D
Beaupup011.jpg

She is nice, bold and highly spirited, so i have no worries about her hunting.
But i might have my work cut out in her training :D as she is all ears and attitude.

Thanks to all who gave advice.

Dave.

Last edited:
A Word or two of advice
Only ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY ever listen to advice from the patient mad?odd owners of HWVs TOTALLY disregard advice from the GWP,Lab,Cocker owners.There is nothing like a HMV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine has recently taken to coming upstairs to wake me up at 4am on the off chance that I may take him for a stalk or wildfowling. Most of the the time he gets told to **** off back downstairs to his bed but sometimes I agree it is a good morning to go out and get up.

Maybe a bit late for you now but I will say that mine hates cover! well brambles or nettles that is, he will go in for a retrieve if he knows it is worthwhile but other than that forget it.

Last edited:
I had a good chat with Roy, but all his pups are spoken for.

So just to give you an update on this thread.
I made the plunge and got one.:D

This is Beau (pronounced Bow)

Beaupup073.jpg

Beaupup099.jpg

Beaupup109.jpg

Her first Point :D
Beaupup011.jpg

She is nice, bold and highly spirited, so i have no worries about her hunting.
But i might have my work cut out in her training :D as she is all ears and attitude.

Thanks to all who gave advice.

Dave.

Bonny little dog, is there much variation in the coats? Will she get very wirey? What were the other pups in the litter like? (coat wise). I've never met one of these dogs in the flesh. They look cool!

I like the quite long dock too.

She has exellant breeding lot of zoldmali blood in her.Spoke to darren but i dont want a pup till the end of the month. so have got one coming off his mate . i belive 1 dog pup left that was up to yesterday both litters out of true workers

Well yesterday i have picked my hwv pup up I put him in the dog box he then sang all the way home to wales he says he wants to join a welsh male voice choir lol. Kite is what he is called is a very bold pup and he has been well socilised he is part Zoldimali lines and is docked [ with certificate ] same sire as Dave C. The great dam ,Grand sire and Dam have been featured in Stalking Rifle.I was really impressed with the time effort and care that Duncan and his wife had put into this litter .
will add pics later on

Back