Where do muntjac get their name from??

merlin

I was reading a shooting mag last night....

"What are you reading about?" asked my other, and undoubtedly better, half.

"Muntjac" sez I.

"Oh. Where did the name 'Muntjac' come from then?" she asks.

"Errrr, dunno":oops:

"Sounds French to me....."

So - where does the name Muntjac originate? What does it mean (if anything)?:confused:

Over to you fellas.......

John reeves brought them back from china at the same time as sir george staunton brought back plants from there, strange though there are no muntjac on the staunton estate, mainly as it was one of the largest social housing estates in europe. :)

I've just done a bored google trawl and although the genus Muntiacus was defined by Rafinesque it looks like this was based on the specific name "Muntjak" which had been described by Zimmermann some 35 years earlier!

Still doesn't explain why Muntjac though... my guess is that it was based on the local word for barking deer somewhere maybe?

Alex

If I remember my 'Deer of the World' correctly (and probably don't:rolleyes:) the name comes from the local name in Indonesia where it was first come across by people who give latin names to animals.

.............. sounds plausible anyway

Further to my post last night, in 'Muntjac - Managing an Alien Species' by Charles Smith-Jones:

'Muntjak' is the native name for these deer in the Sunda language of Western Java

There you are Merlin, you don't have to tell the missus she was right now! :lol:

Alex

Further to my post last night, in 'Muntjac - Managing an Alien Species' by Charles Smith-Jones:

'Muntjak' is the native name for these deer in the Sunda language of Western Java

There you are Merlin, you don't have to tell the missus she was right now! :lol:

Alex

I owe you a pint Alex!!!!!:D

Oh b0ll0cks, I really faux pax'd that time, where Russells came from I don't know, at least I got the first letter right :doh: :oops: :coat:

Back