gunfire sensors

finnbear270

On news this morning, Birmingham police deploy gunfire sound sensors, covering a few square miles of known trouble spots,......... Might this run into problems during Chinese new year / November 5th ????................ expansion of this, if found useful, may find urban fox control issues?

Finn, according to a friend who is a solicitor in Brum, the amount of gun related incidents and shootings is much higher than the released figures. I think anything that lets the police concentrate on the gang related shootings must be a good thing, although I am sure someone with a good reason for popping foxes will have a visit from the armed response units.

They are using these sensors in Iraq and Afghanistan to good effect, so hopefully the Johnson crew and the Burger Bar boys will reap the benefit of a visit from the ARU.

ft

Frank , see if thay work with moderated firearms, That would be a real benifit in anti poaching work!

Barry

barry,

i will call them later today and ask about the effectiveness of the equipment etc

will post what they say.

frank

as you can see i am not working due to the white stuff so nothing better to do. ha ha

My understanding from an interview this morning is they wont pick up a moderated gunshot, but they can tell the difference between gunshot and firework.

My understanding from an interview this morning is they wont pick up a moderated gunshot, but they can tell the difference between gunshot and firework.
I read recently that a good moderator can reduce a .308win report to that of an unmoderated.22lr, so would that mean it can not pick up a subsonic .22lr round??

My understanding is that one of the benefits of this system is that it can identify and plot where people "practice" with their illegally held firearms. This is useful to the police when trying to catch such people as it is often on "home turf", as opposed to when the firearms are used against other people, which is often a long way from where they are kept.

My understanding is that one of the benefits of this system is that it can identify and plot where people "practice" with their illegally held firearms. This is useful to the police when trying to catch such people as it is often on "home turf", as opposed to when the firearms are used against other people, which is often a long way from where they are kept.

Hmm this is obviously fantasy as I recall all handguns being banned to obviously there are none to be shooting with :evil:.

:eek:Thankfully I don't live anywhere near there as I would be scared to break wind in the bath incase a firearm team kicked down my door.:lol:

What a world we live in ehh!! From watching the mid day BBC news it appears that this system has come across from the USA.
Whilst it might be a good idea to reduce these arseholes running around with guns, in the States carrying a moderated weapon is a no no. Although I doubt that would stop most criminals. However over here mods I would assume are fairly easy to aquire for the criminal fraternity. One wonders if this system picks up moderated shots ?

I had to laugh at the BBC lunch time news report. A police officer was standing with an automatic weapon shooting at a target about 15yds in front of him in what looked like a back street. The targate was on a trailer. One assumes they are testing out the reaction to the shot, but if he had got any closer to the target the barrel would have been touching it!!

I believe that Old Tikka is involved with these sensors, and I am sure he will give you better info than what the press will.
My understanding is that the sensors point inwards and then cross reference to pin point the shot..

regards
griff

Watch the BBC news tonight and hopefully they will show the same clip!!

Do you mean this clip: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-11950517

Presumably the clip was cut just before they fixed bayonets and charged??

What I am wondering is this; is the kit sophisticated enough to distinguish a 'real' gunshot from one that some spotty little erk records and plays back through the car stereo, iphone, etc?

willie_gunn

Last edited:
C.B.S. works on triangulation of 3-4 mikes and length of time taken for gunshot report to hit each mike, it can pin point to a foot or so, as said, used extensively in Iraq and Afganistan.

Yes Willie thats the article, except they only showed the police officer standing up, or at least thats all I saw. Well if it works and catches some of these low lifes who chase people around the city centres with guns then its all for the good.

Yes Willie thats the article, except they only showed the police officer standing up, or at least thats all I saw. Well if it works and catches some of these low lifes who chase people around the city centres with guns then its all for the good.

They should have gone for the upgrade that sends the GPS location to a Predator 1k up with Hellfires

Back