May soon be looking for a pickup so whats the best ?

mickyfinn

May soon be looking at selling my landrover disco 3 as its just costing to much..as i get one thing fixed then something else goes wrong today its cost me 1250+ few months back 600+..so if i do get rid i will be looking at getting a pickup with less gadgets so those in the know what are the best suited for off road capability as well as comfort to drive long distance.

Mick

May soon be looking at selling my landrover disco 3 as its just costing to much..as i get one thing fixed then something else goes wrong today its cost me 1250+ few months back 600+..so if i do get rid i will be looking at getting a pickup with less gadgets so those in the know what are the best suited for off road capability as well as comfort to drive long distance.

Mick

Whats your budget mate? Most will come along and say a hilux no doubt, but my L200 has not put a foot wrong best 4x4 I've ever owned and that's been a few including a defender so they get my vote got the warrior version with canopy, the Isuzu rodeo looks good value saw one at our shoot on Saturday could be worth a look also...

Hilux all day long, not full of fussy gadgets to go wrong, I got a 54 plate, low mileage, great stalking vehicle. You won't go wrong.

Price range depends what i sell my disco for but around the 10,000 i think...but may go cheaper.

ford ranger, parts resonable insurance cheep and good on fuel, if not hillux is next choice

Hi Mick,I currently own a 2008 Hilux but ive also owned a L200 and to be quite honest i don"t think there is too much difference between the two of them.Ok the Hilux is more sort after and has a better resale value but for me they both do the job that they were designed for,They are both very reliable also.Chances are you will probably pick up a second hand L200 cheaper than a Hilux with same mileage,Condition etc.
Good Luck in your seach.
Atb John.

Ford ranger thunder I had an 57 plate and ran that for a couple of years and it was very good off road and good on and it could tow 3ton. cheap on any parts not that it had any thing other than brake pads. Just sold that and bought the new ranger limited 3.2 5 cylinder and that is very good as well. Hope to put a reveiw on here when it has a few more miles on it. But it is all down to what you want to spend as well.

Last edited:
Depending on your budget and what you want it for, I'm in a similar situation.

I want a truck that has the comforts of a car for the family on long journeys, a load bay in the back which is seperate for dogs and dead things, reasonable on fuel and with off roading capability if needed.

I took a look at what was available and have decided on a Navara. It's less 'agricultural' than many although they're all improving in that area and it fits my criteria.

Depending on your budget and what you want it for, I'm in a similar situation.

I want a truck that has the comforts of a car for the family on long journeys, a load bay in the back which is seperate for dogs and dead things, reasonable on fuel and with off roading capability if needed.

I took a look at what was available and have decided on a Navara. It's less 'agricultural' than many although they're all improving in that area and it fits my criteria.
Thats why I changed to the new ranger like you I wanted the comfort of car but with the 4x4 and pickup and towing,having said that I drove to Italy towing a trailer with 2 tons on it with my 57 plate Ranger Thunder with the wife and two kids and it was great.

what about the new " wall " they been getting some good write ups although not the fastest pickup
adrian

Another vote for the hilux I've tried Mitsubishi l200 and we have had Nissan nevaras for a few years we now have just taken delivery of the Isuzu d max as that came with a 5 year 120,000 mile warranty
but myself still prefer the 3 litre hilux invincible we have had this one from new since 2011 and never had a sniff of a problem
Had an 08 plate hilux before that same goes no problems sold it with 120,000 on the clock
just came back from Scotland to Leicester with truck full of kit and deer and still averaged 34mpg
Regards andy

Had landrover defenders since 17, but just about to by a hilux so many tell me how good they are mate.

Back