Architects of our own destruction?

finnbear270

Just this last week I had the Jimny on m.o.t., I intended to follow on with some shooting later that morning, as the testing station of my choice this time was very near the ground for my shoot, I loaded the gear I needed & put a couple of coats over it, retaining bolts & ammunition on my person, Mrs Finnbear exclaimed "You mustn't!", "It might be seen!":eek::eek:, I explained to her that I was going to be in within sight of the vehicle at all times, & was committing no offence in law, & I would continue to go about my lawful activities.:old: Why do so many of us who shoot seem to need to skulk about?:(

I totally agree. I still do not understand why people are afraid to show their faces, especially as ( and this is a guess ) what your doing is legal.
People who's faces are fuzzed out, people with scarfs and people who just never post a photo at all.

I expect that a lot of shooters are intimidated by the thought of a barrage of verbal abuse from some self righteous anti or attracting the attention of a police officer who has been trained in how to deal with armed criminals but not the lawful use of firearms, or indeed a combination of both! atb Tim

+1
yup me to if you don't like what i do its your choice to bugger off away :old:

QUOTE=Taff;567918]I don't , and preach to anyone who will listen about hunting and shooting.[/QUOTE]

This is a good time of year to bring shooting into conversations. I am lambing at the moment and whenever it comes up in discussion I always mention the need to control foxes. Pretty well everybody I talk to, can see the need.

I posted a picture of a gang of mates self included after a successful day driven foxing on facebook. A few mates were tagged etc, after a few likes and comments a bloke waded in with a barrage of abuse. Anyway I replied politely and he continued the verbal, after lots of support for my reply and some nice sensible replies telling him he was wrong he removed his comments.
About three weeks later I was picking up some stuff from a friend who lived next door to the same lad and was introduced to him :norty:. He shriveled up when he realized who i was and appologised, I said no problem and explained how it really works. He is actually now considering coming along to beat for me next season.
I would never hide the fact that i enjoy what is a hobby and now my job, as you say as soon as we do that we are knackered!

I posted a picture of a gang of mates self included after a successful day driven foxing on facebook. A few mates were tagged etc, after a few likes and comments a bloke waded in with a barrage of abuse. Anyway I replied politely and he continued the verbal, after lots of support for my reply and some nice sensible replies telling him he was wrong he removed his comments.
About three weeks later I was picking up some stuff from a friend who lived next door to the same lad and was introduced to him :norty:. He shriveled up when he realized who i was and appologised, I said no problem and explained how it really works. He is actually now considering coming along to beat for me next season.
I would never hide the fact that i enjoy what is a hobby and now my job, as you say as soon as we do that we are knackered!

yes he more then likely had poo in his pants as your about 6ft 6in :D

I totally agree. I still do not understand why people are afraid to show their faces, especially as ( and this is a guess ) what your doing is legal.
People who's faces are fuzzed out, people with scarfs and people who just never post a photo at all.

A lot of it just comes down to basic personal security mate. Two houses in my local area were recently targetted and the thieves stole rifles and shotguns which they clearly knew where there.
Being discrete about gun ownership will help to avoid this.
Just to give another example about photos, a chap on here recently posted a photo which was hosted on his photobucket account. His account settings allowed anyone to view his entire album (which I did!). Within about 5 minutes I was able to establish his full name, what guns,fishing stuff, vehicle (+VRN) and gun dogs he owned and even when and where he went on holiday! A little bit more research on the electoral role then provided his wifes name and their exact address! It's that easy for thieves or antis to find out this imformation - if you allow them!
If you think that this doesn't happen then you are very wrong.
I also used to put a sign in my vehicle explaining who I was and what I was up to. That cost me a new windscreen and rear window from some anti!
Gun ownership isn't a crime, but being lax about gun security is!;)
MS

Focusing on the positive let's consider but 3 in being a UK shooter:

1. It ensures for the most part a model Citizen even in those FAC holders who might otherwise be a little on the 'adventurers' side of life.

2. We could and should do far more to link our passion with positive conservation in terms of the flora and fauna we love.

c. There is a significant economic value to our expenditure.

Cheers

K
Ps: While I think Brit Hunter's observation is probably unhelpful in this debate I fully understand and accept the relevance of the analogy he makes however unpalatable for it is one of the Freedom to be offended and give voice to same without fear. The very thing it is said that ensures shooters skulk in the shadows of society??

I would however remind all that this "get out of (bigotry) jail card" does not apply to Blaserphobics!

I have talked about this before. Sorry to repeat myself.

I have come out! I'm a shooter and I am proud of it. I love my sport.

For years I didn't talk about shooting and my wife and kids were sworn to secrecy. We had the family circle of trust with those in the circle that know we shoot. I cringed when someone at a dinner party introduced me as a shooter. It was a matter of Opsec.

That changed last year. I will now happily talk to people about shooting enthusiastically and even invite them to my club open days to have a try.

I don't wave a flag to make myself a target but my friends now know. If we don't popularise the sport it will die.

Brithunter's inappropriate comment (and replies quoting it) removed. I'm sure I don't need to explain why. :rolleyes:

I see your point but doesn't it apply to any contentious subject?

Unless you are looking for an argument or to come across as seeking attention why would anyone go about highlighting their: [insert any of following - love of wearing fur, extreme vegan tendencies, sexual preferences, swinging/dogging, membership/following of KKK/UKIP/BNP/Nazi party, love of drinking yourself into unconsciousness every weekend, caravanning]

I don't go round wearing cammo (AFAIK I do not OWN any cammo!),

I do not have the car plastered with stickers, I am discreet when I leave the house, I do not go out of my way to interact with others when out but will happily engage in conversation if I come across anyone when doing so.
I do not advertise but will educate when someone shows an interest or when required.
You would have to be Ray Charles to not realise if in my house!!

Now that statement could cover dogging, caravanning, etc etc

​There is a difference between coming across as a fanatical gun toting nutter and someone who is just minding his own business.
​I choose the latter

I tell anyone that listens. Also have my partners younger sister who's 10 wanting to come and a kill bambi. It's my hobby I have put a lot of effort into gaining the things I have to do my hobby so if I can't enjoy it and talk about it down the pub with my full camo outfit on then all just give up. Most people change after a venison steak anyway :)

IT'S A HOBBY NOT A CRIME!

Just this last week I had the Jimny on m.o.t., I intended to follow on with some shooting later that morning, as the testing station of my choice this time was very near the ground for my shoot, I loaded the gear I needed & put a couple of coats over it, retaining bolts & ammunition on my person, Mrs Finnbear exclaimed "You mustn't!", "It might be seen!":eek::eek:, I explained to her that I was going to be in within sight of the vehicle at all times, & was committing no offence in law, & I would continue to go about my lawful activities.:old: Why do so many of us who shoot seem to need to skulk about?:(
Not using your real name is an odd one as well chaps. Just as daft. Why spout "not hide what I do" and then use an odd nickname to hide?

Last edited:
Not using your real name is an odd one as well chaps. Just as daft. Why spout "not hide what I do" and then use an odd nickname to hide?
I have to use mine as its what everyone knows me as, if I wanted to hide I could use my real name and no one would know who I was.

Its common sense not to advertise the presence of firearms to deter theft, but I think we are all more afraid of confrontation with the anti's than of burglars. It seems that those who shout loudest get the most coverage in the media and in this day and age of rolling news and internet based media the anti's have the upper hand despite their smaller numbers.

Just look at Thatcher's funeral, the protests got loads of coverage, and yet on the day they were vastly outnumbered by the well wishers.

If a poll were conducted of peoples approval of deer stalking I suspect the majority would be against, not because they are fervent anti's but because they are not aware of all the facts. If there was more coverage of shooting in general in the media and more attention paid to the genuine need for fox and deer control I suspect the majority could be persuaded to change their minds.

We are our own worst enemy though, as soon as any stalking appears on TV threads appear on here slagging off the coverage. Any balanced coverage is good coverage, even if they are a little fuzzy around the edges and occasionally get things wrong. Give country file a break and let them show more not less we should be writing to the program asking for more coverage not complaining about what minor detail they got wrong the last time.

Back