Australia - any info or experiences about shooting down under?

BT Ron KWCA

I will be travelling to Australia at the end of the month to start working for a year. Haven't got a job lined up but I may get lucky! I was wondering if anybody on here has any knowledge, experiences, or contacts about shooting over there. I've been travelling for 6 months now and it is safe to say I miss shooting and my dogs like mad! Would be nice to get an opportunity to get a few shots off whilst I'm down under.

Searching online there seems to be lots of options, but it mostly involves large trophy fees etc, but I know Australia has a huge amount of so called pest animals, surely these can't be too expensive to hunt. I've read about goats, boar, foxes, rabbits, even camel and deer causing problems to native species and the environment; so I'm hoping there my be an affordable option to hunt over there and get some good game.

I'm 23, a passionate wildfowler, have been deer stalking whenever I can since 18 years old, and have been involved with pest control since a very young age. So I have experience and knowledge, and am confident with firearms.

Any information, contacts, or just general advice about shooting and hunting in Australia would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Byron.

Make sure you have a work visa or you won't make it out of the airport, they are pretty hot on people rocking up on tourist visa's and looking for work, and their firearms laws are a bit tricky,
would pay to have a job lined up before you arrive,

Have you organised your visitors firearms permit for the states you intend to visit?

If not is a waste of time to discuss this any further (I think I've been through visitors permits on here before a few times). If yes, & you are stopping over in Sydney then I may be able to extend you some access.

Sharkey

Last edited:
Have you organised your visitors firearms permit for the states you intend to visit?

If not is a waste of time to discuss this any further (I think I've been through visitors permits on here before a few times). If yes, & you are stopping over in Sydney then I may be able to extend you some access.

Sharkey

Not sure they will issue in the month before you go, but if you get the permits in place, that's an offer you cant refuse, I would also have a word to find out if Sharkey needs anything easily available in the UK to feed his 'Full Irish breakfast habit'..as a fair swap is no robbery.:D

Last edited:
Not sure they will issue in the month before you go, but if you get the permits in place, that's an offer you cant refuse, I would also have a word to find out if Sharkey needs anything easily available in the UK to feed his 'Full Irish breakfast habit'..as a fair swap is no robbery.:D

Cheers mate! I have a grin from ear to ear as I'm reading this. I did scratch that itch & I wasn't disappointed at all, in fact potato bread exceeded my recollection.

We have some silly firearms laws in NSW which doesn't encourage visitors I'm afraid. Simple changes which would simplify the situation without any increase of risk has been put to the parliamentary advisory committee & the firearms registry on several occasions. It requires a change in legislation (act of parliament) not just regulation to bring this about. If we open the door to amending the act there would also be a rush from other stakeholders for their own equally important changes, not to ignore the possibility of the antis swinging the debate their own way. IMO the change is necessary & worth the risk, we just have to await the opportunity & manage the risks wisely.

Overseas visitors currently need a genuine reason to obtain a visitors firearms permit in NSW. This reason can be for competition, or an organised club event ( hunting can be an organised club event). A "promise of business" with a licensed safari operator is also a genuine reason (this also allows the operator to do some of the negotiation with the firearms registry on the clients behalf). A safari operator requires not just one but several licences with various government departments & also membership with an approved industry association, insurance, etc. Apologies to those who think hunting fees are expensive, but I don't know many wealthy hunting guides.

Sharkey

Sharkey

So if someone was to invite me out, and I was to use their firearm, I would still need to attain a permit?

I emailed NSW police firearms office (about six months ago) asking about visitors permits - as long as you have valid UK certificates, an address you'll be staying at, and address(es) of where you will be shooting, they only require 28 days notice to sort the permit(s) out.

Just as a side note, I can't recite the full detail but I think if you are to shooting on any land owned (or handed back since 2008) to the indigenous people of Australia additional permission must be obtained from them prior to travelling with or using the firearm, even if shooting pest species. This was certainly the case for me in Arnhem Land and the top end round Jabiru across to Mount Borradaile. Sharkey will clarify the detail & confirm if this is still the case, I am sure.

I emailed NSW police firearms office (about six months ago) asking about visitors permits - as long as you have valid UK certificates, an address you'll be staying at, and address(es) of where you will be shooting, they only require 28 days notice to sort the permit(s) out.

Are you sure this is all you require, no recognised shooting competition, genuine "club activity" or a promise of business with a licensed safari operator?
I guess I've been wasting my time all these years by making the trips to the Registry on behalf of the Safari Industry, or attending parliamentary committes where one of my main objects is to simplify visitors permits.

Sharkey

So if someone was to invite me out, and I was to use their firearm, I would still need to attain a permit?

Yes.

Even NSW residents can not shoot (or touch a firearm) on private property without a firearms licence. We have been successful in establishing an arrangement on recognised shooting ranges whereby someone can "try" shooting by borrowing a firearm & use it under the direct supervision of a licensed instructor. The person trying shooting must fill out a "P650" form which includes statutory declarations, the instructor then passes these on to the registry to be vetted. There is no official limit to the number of P650's a person can use, however it is vetted & if it appears that they are being used to bypass the licensing system the Registry can stop a person using them. We have been trying to establish a P650 type arrangement for approved private properties for several years now (so law abiding NSW residents can try hunting). This would only be under the direct supervision of a Licensed & approved hunting guide who also holds an instructors permit. No luck so far.

Sharkey

Sorry, my mistake; it was Queensland police - this is the email I received.....

Good Morning,

You will need to apply for a Visitor’s Licence to possess and use firearms in Queensland. The application is to be made at least 28 days prior to the date of the proposed visit, this ensures that there is enough time to complete all our checks and for the paperwork to be received by the visitor.

You must be entitled by law to possess and use a weapon or type of weapon in the state or country where you normally reside to apply for a Visitor’s Licence. If you do not have a licence, you must complete Part 6 of the Visitor’s Licence application.

The following information must be provided with the application:

Copy of a current licence, permit or authority issued under the law of that country or territory. Please note:
The licence, permit or authority must remain current for the duration of the visit to QLD
If no licence, permit or authority is issued in your country, a letter from your local police authorities outlining whether you are a fit and proper person to possess firearms is to be attached*
Details of itinerary and locations to be visited whilst in QLD (including contact numbers and addresses)
Details of security and storage arrangement for firearms and ammunition whilst in QLD
A genuine reason for visiting QLD
Competition target shooting – supply a letter from the competition holder confirming participation and the events participating in
Recreational shooting – supply a letter from the property owner/occupier giving you permission to shoot on their land, including details of property size and address

The fees payable for a Visitor’s Licence are an application fee ($88.25) and a licence fee ($42.25) for a total of $130.50. If you are an overseas resident visiting to participate in an internationally recognised shooting competition, you are exempt from paying the application fee.

Fees can be paid by the following two methods only:

Enclose a cheque or money order in Australian Dollars made out to the Queensland Police Service; or
Have a person in QLD pay the amount at their local police station and forward a copy of the receipt to Weapons Licensing.

Please follow the below link to the Visitor’s Licence page on our website:

Sorry for getting the state wrong; I hope that is helpful.

Not a problem mate. The laws are so confusing & they differ from state to state so its not hard to misinterpret something.

Cheers
Sharkey

Sharkey is right, the laws are quite different and confusing. The best place for public land hunting is Victoria. Regardless of what anybody tells you, if you take stalk and successfully take a sambar stag in a state forest that will be worth 10000 camels, pigs, donkey and goats. I've hunted (if you can call it that) and there is no comparison.

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/licensing/apply-for-a-game-licence

Sharkey is right, the laws are quite different and confusing. The best place for public land hunting is Victoria. Regardless of what anybody tells you, if you take stalk and successfully take a sambar stag in a state forest that will be worth 10000 camels, pigs, donkey and goats. I've hunted (if you can call it that) and there is no comparison.

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/licensing/apply-for-a-game-licence

Cheers Mate!

I don't disagree with your evaluation of sambar hunting on public land in Victoria either.

Sambar are unquestionably the premier game species of all deer in the world (Im sorry, but IMO they are way more cryptic than any odocoileus or sika) & in Victoria access is affordable (about $40 per year. "All year", a 12 month season & you own the deer you shoot) & equitable, be you a millionaire or a struggling student the hills (public land) & the deer show no bias or favouritism.

Sharkey

Christ, either things have changed since I was there or we were just winging it. Bloke I worked for didn't need a license as such as e was a farmer and that allowed you to have firearms. They were just starting to bring in a requirement to have a cabinet at the time!

my suggestion was going to be head to the pub in town and ask about. There will be someone that will take you out, as a generalisation thy are pretty friendly. Also speak to too shooters and offer service as an offsides. Hard work but a real eye opener!

Back