Bits n bobs to take to DSC1?

.Skinner.

Hi all :)

It's only a week till I go to Essex to do the DSC 1 course, cannot wait!!
I read somewhere in the manual or somewhere that applicants should take bino's, shooting sticks etc., stuff that they would usually take on a stalk. I don't really have any of these items at the moment! I know they will lend me a rifle on the range but do you think they will lend me things like sticks?? Also, bino's as I hear they are essential for the safety test??

Any help as always much appreciated, cheers!!

If you have not got it you cant take it BUT, Binos are needed for the simulated stalk . Don't have to be brill as you will be in daylight but you will need some.
As for shooting sticks for the shooting part you should be able to use some either from your course provider or fellow students, you will bond Very quickly as you all have the same fears and goals.
Any stick will do for the simulated stalk will do as its about you safely crossing logs and ditches and using a stick as a third limb.

Last edited:
Agreed that they should be able to provide you with all you need. You really shouldn't need bino's for the safety test. They come in handy on the range, but that's about it. Plenty of warm and waterproof gear - and good boots are all you should need, other than a tub of sweets a pen - and all the info you've learned!!

Best of luck - let us know how you go.

E t R

I didnt take binos, they had sticks there and I don't remember a "simulated stalk"!
I did a visual/verbal test about the risks associated with shooting at particular targets they had set out around the area.

if you are borrowing their rifle you have removed the majority of important things from your list.

a flask and some food, lot of waiting around if you get called last!

i was in the same postion, they said tomorrow fetch your stuff as if you are going stalking.i put my hand up and said i,d never been stalking and was hear to learn basic's,. next day someone fetched me bino's to borrow and another one fetch me his 2nd rifle to use and let me zero it in to me.everyone was very helpful and at the end of the course i came away with a pair of secondhand lecia bino.s for £300.00. the club had sticks and also rifle if needed.stav

Back