requirements for pro stalkers

User00003

I'm not planning on this initially, maybe never, but these things always cross one's mind...if, and 'if' I one day decided I wanted to take clients out on my ground, not necessarily as a full time pro-stalker, but could be an additional service to running a country pursuits business, etc.

well what are the requirements, that is, insurance (who does it, cost, etc.?), H&S regulations?, etc. etc.?

if any pro's/guides on the SD can come up with a good list, it may also help new people get into the profession as they have a bit of a 'guide' to go by and an idea of complexities, costs, etc..

thanks,

PKL

I cannot imagine the pro"s being very helpful to add more competition into the game, but good luck in your quest.
Martin

I cannot imagine the pro"s being very helpful to add more competition into the game, but good luck in your quest.
Martin

Thats the trouble in the stalking fraternity (close knit bunch) with Rgds. competition, that said I don't see an issue

with say : a Pro in the North given advice to someone in the South and vice versa. (that would rule out the close competition aspect)

Best of Luck. PKL

I'm not planning on this initially, maybe never, but these things always cross one's mind...if, and 'if' I one day decided I wanted to take clients out on my ground, not necessarily as a full time pro-stalker, but could be an additional service to running a country pursuits business, etc.

well what are the requirements, that is, insurance (who does it, cost, etc.?), H&S regulations?, etc. etc.?

if any pro's/guides on the SD can come up with a good list, it may also help new people get into the profession as they have a bit of a 'guide' to go by and an idea of complexities, costs, etc..

thanks,

PKL

Basically, you need the same as any other service provider,

H&s policy, risk assEssment , adequate training and insurance. In the past I used NFU, although from what I hear on here they are getting pricey.

One thing to consider is insurance for cancellation, weather etc. something like abta?

I've been out the game for a few years, so not fully up to scratch. Cancelation insurance or at least make sure the clients have it . You don't want to pay back deposits!

Basically, put yourself in the clients shoes and try and plan for all eventualities, also be careful in raise people's expectations ie don't have pictures of gold medals in your literature if you have never seen one and stay clear of hidden extras. I often looked expensive, but only ever had one agreed price. That's it one price for the week all in. 5 bucks quite an expensive week but if we shot 10 it was a bargain. Price always included trophy prep. Never charged for carcass damage as the initial cost covered it. Doesn't make you the cheapest on paper but will always deliver happy clients.
when we agreed on a price the client paid up front and then shouldn't pay out another penny, I even factored in a dram or 2.

You need ability, serious commitment. Its a way of life not a job. If someone sees you making a living off ground you pay nothing or little for you may find yourself being ask for rent

Al

You need all the things mentioned by previous posters, and while ability has been mentioned no one has mentioned attitude, you need to have a sense of humour, tales abound of the dour Highland stalker and no doubt they exist but
there are very few clients who will want to spend the day with someone you only get a grunt out of at best.

You need to be able to judge character, as to how much social interaction the client wants, not every client will be the same, but its a holiday for them or a day out at least, and its actually very few that want to limit their conversation to the matter in hand.

You need to be a bit of a story teller able to spin a yarn, if its against yourself so much the better shows your not infallible and helps put a nervous client at ease .

You should have a good knowledge of local history, myths and legends, nothing makes you look less competent than when a stranger asks you question about your area, and you can't answer it.

The same goes for flora and fauna, this was brought home to me many years ago on a stalking course when asked to identify various plants we came across during the day, those that could not name them were sent to look them up later it was pointed out how stupid we would look if asked what a certain plant was by a client, not a problem if you did not know one particular plant, but if repeatedly answering you did not know it showed a lack of knowledge of your ground, if that was the case what other knowledge did you lack.

So psychologist, Storyteller Naturalist, Historian and Showman.

And of course a knowledge of the deer and how to stalk them.

And finally not essential but an advantage , the ability to drink copious amounts of strange foreign sounding beverages:rofl:

You need all the things mentioned by previous posters, and while ability has been mentioned no one has mentioned attitude, you need to have a sense of humour, tales abound of the dour Highland stalker and no doubt they exist but
there are very few clients who will want to spend the day with someone you only get a grunt out of at best.

You need to be able to judge character, as to how much social interaction the client wants, not every client will be the same, but its a holiday for them or a day out at least, and its actually very few that want to limit their conversation to the matter in hand.

You need to be a bit of a story teller able to spin a yarn, if its against yourself so much the better shows your not infallible and helps put a nervous client at ease .

You should have a good knowledge of local history, myths and legends, nothing makes you look less competent than when a stranger asks you question about your area, and you can't answer it.

The same goes for flora and fauna, this was brought home to me many years ago on a stalking course when asked to identify various plants we came across during the day, those that could not name them were sent to look them up later it was pointed out how stupid we would look if asked what a certain plant was by a client, not a problem if you did not know one particular plant, but if repeatedly answering you did not know it showed a lack of knowledge of your ground, if that was the case what other knowledge did you lack.

So psychologist, Storyteller Naturalist, Historian and Showman.

And of course a knowledge of the deer and how to stalk them.

And finally not essential but an advantage , the ability to drink copious amounts of strange foreign sounding beverages:rofl:

All good advice.

Gammel Dansk, the drink of dead Vikings!
You have to keep calm and stick to your principles, if you have had toddlers, you will be we'll equipped to deal with most wealthy businessmen!

And know your ground, although I once did a full season on an Estate, where the first I saw it was the morning I arrived to meet guests! Worked fine, Told them the score, blagged it a bit and we got our stags for the season.

Based on my observation of African PHs:

Don't flirt with the client's teenage daughter.
Don't drop heavy handed hints about tips.
Under no circumstances get drawn into conversation on religion or politics.
don't be tempted to do something illegal or unethical when someone starts waving wads of cash at you.
Do cultivate an engaging and unusual eccentricity.

Back