NRA Shooting Club Bisley

terrier

I imagine there may be a few SD members who are also members of the NRA at Bisley.

While I spend as much time as I can on the BSRC facilities, I find the NRA club days are a useful and informal way of acquiring longer range practice.
A recent NRA e-mail seems to suggest that because of increased popularity and attendance, their frequency will be reduced from three times a month to once.
This would be a significant inconvenience to me, and restrict the relevance of NRA membership. I just wondered what others' thoughts might be, and maybe what alternatives there are.

So they have an increase in the number of persons using the facility and their answer to this is to not increase the number of days but reduce them. :cuckoo:

Or do you mean that the number of occasions that an individual member will be able to use the facility will be reduced or restricted to once a month????

Post a range share on here, FB (uk) or UKV. Lots of use the ranges at various times and are more than happy to share the lane (and reduce costs then)

Either join a club or How many friends do you have? i think you need 10 to form an official home office club. book lanes/ranges as a club as and when you need? target shooting is an excellent reason to buy more.

One of the reasons is there is a bit of a struggle with organisation RCO'S/Instructors from what i understand. have you considered doing any of these courses? i loved my RCO found it useful and i'm planning on doing instructors in the summer.

Scooby

Scooby I think you may have misunderstood the problem of the original poster. He's already in a club he mentioned the BSRC, and a requirement of that is that he must be a member of the NRA.
As an individual member he can book lanes himself without all the hassle of starting and setting up another club. As you say H.O. approved clubs must have a minimum of 10 members. Clubs affiliated to the NRA can book ranges through the club secretary but I don't think that there is a requirement for them to be H.O. approved only affiliated.
I have gone through all the hassle of starting a H.O. approved club from scratch in the past so know how much work is involved.

So they have an increase in the number of persons using the facility and their answer to this is to not increase the number of days but reduce them. :cuckoo:

Or do you mean that the number of occasions that an individual member will be able to use the facility will be reduced or restricted to once a month????
good question! I have looked on the NRA website and as usual it is as clear as mud, the club calender appears to stop in 2013!

I imagine there may be a few SD members who are also members of the NRA at Bisley.

While I spend as much time as I can on the BSRC facilities, I find the NRA club days are a useful and informal way of acquiring longer range practice.
A recent NRA e-mail seems to suggest that because of increased popularity and attendance, their frequency will be reduced from three times a month to once.
This would be a significant inconvenience to me, and restrict the relevance of NRA membership. I just wondered what others' thoughts might be, and maybe what alternatives there are.

I don't appear to have received this NRA E-Mail. Is it restricted to BSRC members?

Which facility is being curtailed? Is it an exclusive right available to the BSRC who have private club facilities on Brookwood or those available to NRA-affiliated Clubs throughout the UK, as there is a practical difference. Perhaps you could post a link so that everyone can see the details.

If you live in Surrey a reduction in NRA 'club days' might be a disappointment, but more remote affiliated clubs won't be affected much. Unless individual members of NRA-Affiliated clubs are NRA Members they can only book through their Club Secretary. Are these clubs really the source of 'the increased popularity and attendance' you quote? I see no sign of this from our club which is relatively near, but the wrong side of the M25 like most of the country.

Given the hassle of pre-booking via their club, and the distance they have to travel to Bisley then once a month for all NRA-affiliate clubs seems to me to be fair to all & a reasonable compromise. However, happy to wait and see what this EMA actually says.

Last edited:
Back