The costs of appeals

Brithunter

Have noticed this asked in the past as to how much an appeal in crown Court against Firearms Licensing decisions would be. Have just had to drop mine as have been informed that the cost is going to be at least £8,000 and possibly £10,000 or more.

It appears the justice system is only available to those with deep pockets or on legal aid. For appeals firearms related legal Aid is not available it seems and as we don't have deep pockets that's that.

Is this from when they lost your guns?

Oh they eventually "Found" them.. it took a while to gather them up as it seems they were not all together. As yet I have not been allowed access to inspect them for any damage which is rather suspicious in my view but yes it's to do with that. The guns have been several months now at an RFD's the very one I suggested we call to come and collect them that evening but it was not acceptable to the Police officers then for some reason.

Have noticed this asked in the past as to how much an appeal in crown Court against Firearms Licensing decisions would be. Have just had to drop mine as have been informed that the cost is going to be at least £8,000 and possibly £10,000 or more.

It appears the justice system is only available to those with deep pockets or on legal aid. For appeals firearms related legal Aid is not available it seems and as we don't have deep pockets that's that.

join sacs

If I was in you're position and felt I had been wronged with the value of gear that the powers that be have I'd be getting a lone and taking them on. I took a lone out for more than this to sort out some building work that needed done. If something needs done, get it done unless there's no point in it?

I think at 8-10K I'd take them head on, I'd struggle to pay that but hell I could not imagine loosing my shooting. As long as you are not a danger to the public then I cannot see how they could win an appeal. At the end of the day it's your sutibility to hold firearms that is the issue therefore if you are most definiletly sutible you should be on to a winner. Is it not possible to represent yourself? Maybe the Citizens Advise could point you in the right direction?

I dare say this but what about BASC? N.B. That's not an invitation for more BASC bashing.

Hypothetically, had I ever had an appeal in court ;) it would have cost me £1.5k, including solicitors, and a barrister for the day in court. But I would have won :cool:

Had I lost I guess it would have been a little over double that.

Try a chap called Adrian Dagger, he was cracking, and easily worth the money. Giving me his number was the only help I had from BASC.

P.S. If you do it, don't do it without the Barrister!!

Easy for me to say this, BUT, if you had engaged a legal type who was fairly confident of some sucsess against them, I wager they would withdraw.

Brithunter

I don't know the cost of appeals sorry , but if your right go for it , scrimp save get the money and take them on.

what was the original reason the guns were taken in the first place ?

I know this may sound defeatest, but if you were to lose you would pay their costs and your own

Actually I know Adrian and had spoke to him but again it's cost. I am a F/T carer for my parents and as such get a very low income. We cannot afford to pay out the money being quoted as we have not got it simple as that.

As for the stuff that does not require permits of licences we stilla wait a response as to why it was taken and why it has not bee returned.

The original reason for the seizure was some trumped up business about my nephew visiting during the day. The Police agreed his bail and that he could visit then after a year of bail this happens. It was nothing to do with me at all.

I am a member of SACS and if the information is correct i would expect them to take this the full road. Are you not a member of any association.

I am a Member of the NGO but had not discussed this with them. Will have to do so now as to which way to go but those I have spoken to already (not NGO) seemed stumped. No one for instance seems to have the same idea of where a condition stands in law. So far I have gotten conflicting ideas on that which complicates matters somewhat.

In the mean time I have trying to deal with the Licensing office myself as to why the stuff that requires no licence has not been returned and when will it be returned. Why I cannot inspect my rifles at the RFD's and what happened to and where is my stock of hand loading powders.

The Police actually were advising my nephew and parents to stay away for the mobile home I use for my hand loading as it was stuffed with dangerous and unstable explosives......................... I kid you not. They then had the RAF bomb squad come it to take them away and I fear thy have been destroyed in a controlled explosion. I had only just brought a new stock of H4381, H335 and Reloader 19 and at £33 per tub it was some monies worth. Took me weeks to save up and that brought my stocks up to maximum holding for powders. Replacement cost would be around £800 today. There were some great deals at the Newark show and I came home with quite a few tubs of Hodgdons powder.

I know this may sound defeatest, but if you were to lose you would pay their costs and your own

Yes I am well aware of that plus the fact that it's almost unheard of the Police being made to pay costs when they lose. So the Police knowing this run their costs up as much as possible and use it to beat down any whom might stand up to them. As the projected or likely costs are twice my annual income the chances of my securing finance to fight this is about Zero.

Brithunter

It does seem heavy handed tactics to seize everything guns ,powders ,reloading etc if you have done nothing wrong.
What is the police's concern with you having the guns powders ,reloading etc? or was is that your nephew stays/visits at the house and may get access to the guns powders ,reloading etc.

What had your nephew done/ alleged done to be on bail for a year and then get this response from the police?

I believe BH mentioned elsewhere that he had himself already pleaded guilty to a 'technical' breach of a condition on his FAC. Any more info on that as I'm sure it would have a bearing on matters - or have I got that totally wrong?

Last edited:
I believe BH mentioned elsewhere that he had himself already pleaded guilty to a 'technical' breach of a condition on his FAC. Any more info on that as I'm sure it would have a bearing on matters - or have I got that totally wrong?

Yes technically I was in breech of a security condition as I was not in the same room as the gun and it was not in the cabinet. The fact I had not finished with it is besides the point as at the point the police turned up I was not with the gun so am in breech of that condition. My parents who do not have certificates were in the house so the view is they could have had access to it. The fact that is was out of sight and could not bee seen by anyone walking into the room has no bearing on this.

So just think next time you have a gun or guns out do you really comply word for word with the conditions on your certificates?

I wager a good proportion of you break at least one without realising it as they are worded in such a way as to be practically unworkable in real life. Also bear in mind we had 20 minutes to discuss this new charge with the solicitor before the hearing.

As for my nephew and his case we cannot go into that here as it's still dragging on some two years after it started. Yes that's right two years. Yet my having guns here were not a problem until last April ........................ odd that. The Police did insist he stay here one night and they sent one officer round to secure my collection. of course he didn't know how many he was dealing with so after a couple of phone calls the keys were taken to the local gun club for safe keeping over night. That was acceptable to them then but for some reason not last April when they descended on us on mass. We believe this is all one officers doing as she was not happy that she didn't get them seized on that first occasion. Once again it was nothing I had done.

Nightmare!!!.... did your ticket get revoked and have they said you can't have your guns back?

Back