Can I rebarrel my 22-250 to 243?

smiffy1!

I currently have a sako 75 22-250 which I have owned for quite a few years now and was wondering if it was possible to change this to 243 or is this a stupid idea? I have an old Remington 700 243 and I'm not over keen on the trigger pull so was thinking of going to one rifle I would be keen to hear people's thoughts on this subject!

of course you can mate,any decent barrel plumber could do the job,but if the 22.250 is a shootwer why bother just get the trigger sorted on the remmy or even better for a Arnold jewel which will give you the best trigger in the world

Its easy enough to get the trigger sorted on the remmy then is it as I was told that it's not got much adjustment I take it that an Arnold jewel is a trigger kit then?

Its easy enough to get the trigger sorted on the remmy then is it as I was told that it's not got much adjustment I take it that an Arnold jewel is a trigger kit then?

No Arnold Jewel is a replacement trigger unit, regarded by many as the finest trigger on the market and mucho expensive if you can find anyone that has one in stock.
IMO Jewels are overpriced for what they are and a Rifle Basix trigger is just as good, alternatively find a smith who really knows his way around remmy triggers and get him to rework it for you.

Ian.

No Arnold Jewel is a replacement trigger unit, regarded by many as the finest trigger on the market and mucho expensive if you can find anyone that has one in stock.
IMO Jewels are overpriced for what they are and a Rifle Basix trigger is just as good, alternatively find a smith who really knows his way around remmy triggers and get him to rework it for you.

Ian.

I have a rifle basix trigger on my rifle . . .and quite frankly it is the sweetest trigger my finger has ever had the pleasure of pulling . . .zero creep and crisp as a frosty morning.

Smithy,

Personally, I wouldn't bother with buying aftermarket triggers. Just get someone to tune your factory Remmy. Mike Norris in Whitchurch would be a good choice if your based in Cheshire. He's done two of mine and my brother reckons they are better then the Timneys on his rifles.

Good luck,

Tim

I'm not doubting what you say Tim just wondering why Mike fitted a replacement trigger on my friend's rifle recently if he can adjust the Remington so well?

I had a Remington some years ago and the trigger on that was simply dreadful all attempts to adjust it failed to achieve a satisfactory result and the attitude of Edgar Brothers and Remington was get a replacement trigger.

Smithy going back to your original question, yes the barrel can be changed quite easily by a gunsmith but have seen the price that you will have to pay? As much as I personally dislike Remingtons I would say that the cheapest option by far for you is to get the Remington sorted and keep the Sako as it is.

Or else sell the .243 Remington and buy a decent rifle in a decent calibre.:stir::rofl:

What would you suggest is a decent caliber then 8x57 :doh: Bearing in mind the remmy is worth about £30 as its about 25 years old also it had a 6x42 on it and I don't feel as comfortable with this scope as I do with my s&b 8x56 on my 22-250 I was thinking of the basic Leupold 3-9x50any thoughts on that?!:D

Seems that you've already set your mind on changing the Remington. 25 years old is nothing as long as it still works and is accurate, but most of us are only looking for an exscuse to get a new rifle aren't we? :stir:

Only joking about the calibre bearing in mind another thread that's running about .243 and deer legal.:D

There's nothing wrong with a fixed 6x42 either provided it is of decent quality.

Iwould recommend sticking with a Schmidt or zeiss etc fixed power scope I wouldn't have a leupod given the ones I've seen are very poor

Iwould recommend sticking with a Schmidt or zeiss etc fixed power scope I wouldn't have a leupod given the ones I've seen are very poor

I've got fixed and variables but to be perfectly honest I prefer the fixed scopes but that's just my personal choice. The fixed scopes are S&B 6x42, S&B 8x56 and a Meopta 7x50 all are far superior to a Leupold that I have but even that isn't a bad scope.

I did it the other way round. I had a Remington 700BDL in.243 and had it changed to a .22-250. Prior to that I fitted a Jewell trigger as the one on it was terrible.

Nelson.

Only 25 years old ...................................... a veritable "spring chicken" then ;) and probably just about old enough to be of better quality :smug:.

I currently have a sako 75 22-250 which I have owned for quite a few years now and was wondering if it was possible to change this to 243 or is this a stupid idea?

The .22-250 and the .243 both used the Sako 75 III action, so cartridge length won't be an issue.

-JMS

Seems that you've already set your mind on changing the Remington. 25 years old is nothing as long as it still works and is accurate, but most of us are only looking for an exscuse to get a new rifle aren't we? :stir:

Only joking about the calibre bearing in mind another thread that's running about .243 and deer legal.:D

There's nothing wrong with a fixed 6x42 either provided it is of decent quality.

Not set my heart on replacing it as funds are a bit tight :cry: But think I I'll sort the trigger and replace the scope

Back