Be Safe... your life is valuable, cant get it back..

That's why I stalk and fowl on my own. But then, if I got into trouble I wouldn't have the support party.

That reminds me of the information films on gun safety on making sure your gun was empty while climbing fences and crossing ditches from when I was a youngster late 60's early 70's used to be on as a commercial break don't know why they got stopped probably down to cost rather like the Tuffty the Squirrel road safety films and later the green cross code.

any other old'ns out there remember

Paul D

yes shocking how easy it is, I was quite relieved in the end it was a demo.

Timely extraction is always the problem isn't it? ideally part of the dsc1 should be (no idea if it is part of the dsc2 but is should be) emergency first aid in stalking conditions. both for yourself and other stalkers but also in case you do have a mishap and accidentally shoot a walker. then again the fact that even dsc1 (and safety assessments/training) isn't mandatory is well,....not ideal.

Good safety awareness video or demo as said. But I only chamber a round when just before I am ready to take the shot.

yes shocking how easy it is, I was quite relieved in the end it was a demo.

Timely extraction is always the problem isn't it? ideally part of the dsc1 should be (no idea if it is part of the dsc2 but is should be) emergency first aid in stalking conditions. both for yourself and other stalkers but also in case you do have a mishap and accidentally shoot a walker. then again the fact that even dsc1 (and safety assessments/training) isn't mandatory is well,....not ideal.

Good idea in general, I think everyone within our sporting/hunting arena should have the basic's at the very least, but unfortunately being shot by an expanding hunting round would i expect be quite a traumatic injury and tax even the most advanced 1st aiders. Given the issues with the mentality of the 'sue you' for trying to save my life brigade is it worth it? Personally i would like to think somone was prepared to try if it happened to me, irrelevant of the outcome, but then I am old school.

Very sobering! I always pay very close attention to where my muzzle's pointing. And anyone else's too. It's extremely unsettling to turn around & see down the end of a rifle barrel. A friend of mine is a nightmare for letting his rifle slip round on his shoulder & carrying it with the muzzle at 45 degrees without constantly checking it

The safety system on my Blaser makes me feel safer... do get nervous when out with someone with a normal rifle with one up the spout and safety on... even when walking behind the rifle the number of times I've had to move the muzzle away from my face!!

Also always carry a McMurdo PLB

Have to say I agree, all of us should know some basic emergency first aid and I really do belive it should be taught in schools also.
Out in the outdoors it doesnt matter if your shooting/hunting or rambling, cuts,breaks, GSW`s, cardiac episodes and all sorts can occure. This is why we sould all seek some training and try to carry some first aid provision, even if its only one or two Israeli field dressings (trauma badages) and a pair of aspirin. You can make these strech along way and utilise them for several applications and they really dont weigh much or take up much room!

ATB

Matt

... even when walking behind the rifle the number of times I've had to move the muzzle away from my face!!

I agree
if we batter muzzle awareness into anyone and everyone we meet then no-one will get shot in the first place.

That reminds me of the information films on gun safety on making sure your gun was empty while climbing fences and crossing ditches from when I was a youngster late 60's early 70's used to be on as a commercial break don't know why they got stopped probably down to cost rather like the Tuffty the Squirrel road safety films and later the green cross code.

any other old'ns out there remember

Paul D
I remember that add, the guy climbed through the wire strand and the shotgun trigger snagged on the fence and shot the man in front.

I agree
if we batter muzzle awareness into anyone and everyone we meet then no-one will get shot in the first place.

Or everyone could just buy a rifle with a de-cocking system! Far more sensible system and plenty of choice out there too!!

Or everyone could just buy a rifle with a de-cocking system! Far more sensible system and plenty of choice out there too!!

No
because that doesn't account for the idiots that leave it cocked or when it inevitably fails
or when they are given a less than miraculous de-cocking safety equipped rifle and still wander round pointing the bloody thing in the wrong places

"never, never let your gun pointed be at anyone.
That it may unloaded be, Matters not the least to me!"

No
because that doesn't account for the idiots that leave it cocked or when it inevitably fails
or when they are given a less than miraculous de-cocking safety equipped rifle and still wander round pointing the bloody thing in the wrong places

"never, never let your gun pointed be at anyone.
That it may unloaded be, Matters not the least to me!"

I my opinion there are too many that rely on the safety built into guns and become complacent, No 1 rule as above post, there is NO alternative to this.

I my opinion there are too many that rely on the safety built into guns and become complacent, No 1 rule as above post, there is NO alternative to this.

I agree, there is no substitute for best pactice but that's a little like saying NO to ABS on cars as people will become complacent and stop braking sensibly!!!! the de-cocking system on blasers, merkels, mausers, sauers makes them inherently safe when de-cocked... muzzle awareness is all good and well but if you find yourself in an uncontrolled trip or fall it stands for nought... if the gun cant go off, it cant go off!

Last edited:
That's a little like saying NO to ABS on cars as people will become complacent and stop braking sensibly!!!! the de-cocking system on blasers, merkels, mausers, sauers makes them inherently safe... muzzle awareness is all good and well but if you find yourself in an uncontrolled trip or fall it stands for nough... if the gun cant go off, it cant go off!

Not really a comparable at all, i and many others learnt to drive without abs and I don't have it on my current vehicle, but common sense and experience tells me not to be complacent, just the same with anything that has a high risk associated, I learnt to have a safe weapon without relying on the mechanical safety....muzzle awareness is not all about being safe with a loaded weapon, its best practice.

I would add that the time I have spent on the road in a car or on a bike, I have seen a great number of very complacent people behind the wheel, many thinking they are untouchable inside their vehicle, any conversation with your local traffic police or Firebrigade will confirm this is simply not true.atb

Last edited:
I remember that add, the guy climbed through the wire strand and the shotgun trigger snagged on the fence and shot the man in front.

Hi Basil
If I remember correctly there was also one where he jumped a ditch slipped and gun went off and another of him leaning a loaded gun on a gate / fence and when climbing over it slipped and went off if the country wasn't so PC it should still be running now

My first thought was Sh!t he's deed and the next thought was why the Feck was somebody behind the lead guy locked, loaded and ready to fire?
I always make sure that everybody behind me either have no mag in rifle or everything under the bolt, that way i know am safe when in front and vice versa when am behind anybody else. Lastly feeling of sheer relief that it was just dream. Muzzle awareness and a load of other Health & Safety issues come to mind but am away to the reading room (toilet) to sort myself out haha only kidding

Funny enough, when I go shooting it's usually with one buddy. No matter where we are or what we're doing when I chamber a round I always say to him "one up the spout", and make sure he's heard me, even if I have to say it again until he acknowledges it. I think it must drive him up the wall sometimes but I still do it, can't help but do it.

At least he knows then and can act if I get a bit dumb.

Back