your average larder weights of fallow

Distinguished Member
Just out of intrest, roughly what are your larder weights for fallow deer in lbs.

does = ?? lbs

prickets = ??lbs

plamated adult bucks = ??lbs

ATB

Dave

So variable but as a rough guide, North Wales fallow:

Does 38kg/ 84lbs
Prickets 45kg / 100lbs
Palmated 60kg to 80kg- 132lbs to 176lbs

We have a big variation betrween two areas in Herefordshire one patch in West Herefordshire we have a good pricket would be 75lb and a doe 55-68

On another area we have in North Hereford a good pricket would be 95-98lb and a big doe 80lb

Wayne

Really !!!!!!!! bloody hell i must have weighed ALL my 250+ Wild Fallow each year for the last 16 yrs WRONG :eek:

Where I shoot they have really good feeding and always a good covering of fat, but that does tie in with Wayne Davies' better fallow weighting.

What do yours weigh then stalkerboydy? Less or more than the other posts?

Going by the weights being quoted as average weights the new forest must have the smallest deer in the country, some of your muntjac must weigh more than the fallow down here.

hi my weights are variable but average as follows

does 70-90
prickets 75-110
bucks 150-220 and some been heavier but all weights really do depend on whats grown in the area at the time maize last year and everything was on the fat side

The last 3 prickets between 80-95 all in the last 10 days,
does were between 70 -110 last year
bucks 90-190,

The last 3 prickets between 80-95 all in the last 10 days,
does were between 70 -110 last year
bucks 90-190,

Exactly the same as mine.

Taff, it must seem your fallow are small. We don't have muntjac, but if we did then maybe they would be as large as your fallow!!! What we do have we grow well!

on average
prickets 70-90
does 60 -75
bucks 100-160
also dependant on time of year as to which end of the scale they tip for the males
as female never varied that much

View attachment 9299
pencil.png
Shot these two in mid Suffolk last month.
The big fella was still in velvet, aged at 4-5 years and weighed 170lbs gralloched, head and legs off!
The prickett was about 86lbs if i remember right.
There's plenty of food around here and they are obviously doing quite well!
MS:)
PS, I suspect some people may not understand what 'larder weight' actually means!!!!!:-|
Just because it is hanging in the larder with its head and legs on, doesn't mean they count towards the larder weight!!:rolleyes::doh:

Last edited:
View attachment 9299
pencil.png
Shot these two in mid Suffolk last month.
The big fella was still in velvet, aged at 4-5 years and weighed 170lbs gralloched, head and legs off!
The prickett was about 86lbs if i remember right.
There's plenty of food around here and they are obviously doing quite well!
MS:)
PS, I suspect some people may not understand what 'larder weight' actually means!!!!!:-|
Just because it is hanging in the larder with its head and legs on, doesn't mean they count towards the larder weight!!:rolleyes::doh:

No need to get offended that there are bigger fallow out there MS! I can't honestly imagine anyone weighing with head or legs on! All the weights quoted above are variable but not extraordinary. Although looking back at the other quoted weights MS yours are amongst the highest!! Are you sure you haven't left a few legs on?!!!!!!!

Would still be really interested to see stalkerboydy's weights?

Last edited:
I've just had a look back through my records for males shot on the one farm with the lighter body weights as follows in lbs :-

Aug/Sep 08

Aug/Sep 09

Aug/Sep 10

Wayne

No need to get offended that there are bigger fallow out there MS! I can't honestly imagine anyone weighing with head or legs on! All the weights quoted above are variable but not extraordinary. Although looking back at the other quoted weights MS yours are amongst the highest!! Are you sure you haven't left a few legs on?!!!!!!!

Would still be really interested to see stalkerboydy's weights?

av a look then mate if you cant see my post then what chance you got of reading your scale's right :rofl: :rofl:

av a look then mate if you cant see my post then what chance you got of reading your scale's right :rofl: :rofl:

Just had a look up the thread and no weights posted by you..............:-|

Interestingly though, game dealer picked a pricket up from me last week and had 10 prickets in the van that had just been picked up somewhere in Cheshire. They were absolutely tiny, could pick them up with one hand. My pricket weighed in at 97lbs according to the game dealer! But hey as long as the game dealer and I are making the same mistake in weighing them I can't grumble!!!

Back