New Zealander relocated to the UK!

Pop Shot

Hey guys,

I've recently relocated to the UK from New Zealand. I'm a secondary school teacher and am doing a working OE for a year or two. I'm a mad keen hunter and have had a bit of success in back home hunting the various species including many different game birds species. I will miss the hunting but I figured I will get the travelling bug outer my system whilst I'm young and have no commitments.

I'm not sure what the hunting scene is like here in the UK or what restrictions are in place - but I would love to get out and experience different ways of hunting and hopefully take a few different species whilst I'm here. It's been a dream for the last few years to take a Roe Buck and potentially a Muntjac.

I will post a few threads of the different species I have shot shortly.

Pop Shot.

Welcome to SD! Theres plenty of shooting/fishing in the UK but probably not quite the same as NZ.. Hope you enjoy working near London.. think i would rather be in NZ! Welcome to the UK too.. :tiphat:

Welcome to SD! Theres plenty of shooting/fishing in the UK but probably not quite the same as NZ.. Hope you enjoy working near London.. think i would rather be in NZ! Welcome to the UK too.. :tiphat:

Yeah - if you want hassle free hunting and fishing then New Zealand is the place to be. It's as easier as picking up a rifle - looking at a map and then heading for the hills. The options are endless - so much public (crown) land to hunt. Hopefully, I can atleast tag along with someone at some stage!

Only over here for about 12-15 months. Save a few $$$ and travel Europe, then save some more $$$$ and travel again etc!

Welcome to the site Pop Shot, as you may guess from my forum name I have hunted a bit in NZ there is quite a few on here who are either Kiwi’s or Brit’s that have spent a bit of time in NZ hunting.

Just remember London is not representative of the whole of the UK, get out to the Lakes, Scotland, Peak district, Cornwall, Devon, Wales, Norfolk, Ireland ect all have hunting and stalking, each area has its own peculiarities to the hunting and landscape.

ATB

Tahr

welcome pop shot.

I had a great time hunting down in Nz!. Spent a couple of months Down near timaru, and up in the alps for thar, chamois.

Enjoy.

Jesus you're going to be disappointed! ;)

Lots here mate but licensing is a lot tougher. I started shooting in NZ 12 years ago and still miss it!

Welcome to the site Pop Shot, as you may guess from my forum name I have hunted a bit in NZ there is quite a few on here who are either Kiwi’s or Brit’s that have spent a bit of time in NZ hunting.

Just remember London is not representative of the whole of the UK, get out to the Lakes, Scotland, Peak district, Cornwall, Devon, Wales, Norfolk, Ireland ect all have hunting and stalking, each area has its own peculiarities to the hunting and landscape.

ATB

Tahr

Yeah - London is only our base as it seems to be the most logical place to travel from. We plan to get up into the Lake District and into Irealand/Wales at some point in time. Only interested in learning new ways of hunting and taking a few different species that aren't back home.

Speaking of New Zealand - I've never actually ventured down into the South Island as yet. That's the plan once I return home!

Yeah - London is only our base as it seems to be the most logical place to travel from. We plan to get up into the Lake District and into Irealand/Wales at some point in time. Only interested in learning new ways of hunting and taking a few different species that aren't back home.

Speaking of New Zealand - I've never actually ventured down into the South Island as yet. That's the plan once I return home!

Would you believe I've seen the south island and oz, but never Ireland or scotland?!!! What's wrong with us?!! ;)

Back