My Dr wouldn't cosign my SGC application

Wheesht!

Putting in my SGC application at the moment and thought my family Doctor of 20+ years would be the best cosignatory.

Booked an appointment, turned up with my forms and photos and got told "sorry I don't sign those". I bumped into a keeper later that evening, the same Doctor signed his renewal for him last year. What's going on....?

Not knowing any MP's, JP's or Ministers it left me a bit stumped. A local lawyer agreed to sign, but i've only known him 2.5 years - fortunately I met him when he was a gun and I was a beater at a local shoot.

Fingers crossed it comes back OK.

Putting in my SGC application at the moment and thought my family Doctor of 20+ years would be the best cosignatory.

Booked an appointment, turned up with my forms and photos and got told "sorry I don't sign those". I bumped into a keeper later that evening, the same Doctor signed his renewal for him last year. What's going on....?

Not knowing any MP's, JP's or Ministers it left me a bit stumped. A local lawyer agreed to sign, but i've only known him 2.5 years - fortunately I met him when he was a gun and I was a beater at a local shoot.

Fingers crossed it comes back OK.

Company Directors can do it in Suffolk, the reason for the "professional" counter signatory was so they could check on the person as they would have their name in the public domain. If you haven't got a criminal record then effectively you are off the radar to the police, only the taxman knows everyone!

Maybe he doesn't feel he knows you well enough?

You don't need your cosignatories to be from that list anymore. Look on the BASC website as its all explained on there.

The person has to be of good character so long as its not the local drug dealer signing your application you should be fine !

Doctors are advised not to sign because of any possible future liability they are after all in business (self employed). Anyone of good standing can be used (certain exceptions e.g. serving police officers) as a referee it's not as restrictive as it once was.

That's Doctors off the list then, although they don't like being called "drug dealers"...

Cheers
i.
Yes very apt, I am sure that what takes up much of the time training Drs is learning that lofty, arrogant and condescending attitude towards their patients. atb Tim

When I was in my teens I got my school headmaster to sign mine!
More recently asked a JP and a Reverend. However, that rev has moved away, so next time I'm going to ask the vet. They are on the suggested list too.

Someone with a current FAC can sign them its no big deal unlike it was 20-30 years ago when licensing used to stick to the rules and had to be a named person they give FAC's-SGC out like sweets now, about time they removed the countersignature it means nothing and does it really serve any purpose?

Someone with a current FAC can sign them its no big deal unlike it was 20-30 years ago when licensing used to stick to the rules and had to be a named person they give FAC's-SGC out like sweets now, about time they removed the countersignature it means nothing and does it really serve any purpose?

I think it is important for a FAC. If I thought someone unsuitable I would write so on the form.

I have refused to sign FACs if I didn't know the person well enough.

SGC so long as I have known them the time required I will sign.

I think it is important for a FAC. If I thought someone unsuitable I would write so on the form.

I have refused to sign FACs if I didn't know the person well enough.

SGC so long as I have known them the time required I will sign.

Ok a Question for you then have you been contacted by FSEL dept about persons that you have signed their FAC application Now I know you are going to say yes? I have only once been contacted and I sign quite alot and that was because a friend was going through a hard time with a divorce and was honest with his application and his GP and myself were consulted over the matter and FSEL decided that all was OK, My usuall countersignature is always amazed that they never contact him with my renewal also.
Shotguns are one of the most dangerous/effective weapons upto 20-30 ft.
I stand by what I wrote the countersignature serves no real purpose and that came out after the derek bird shootings in cumbria Mr keith Vaz made comments to that affect in parliament when licensing was under review post the killings.

I have never been contacted but I am 'known' to the two local FEOs who these applicants fall under. I fill the boxes with information.

Last chap who I signed FAC for just before Christmas I insisted he came out with me a couple of times so I could answer the referee forms accurately and honestly.

I would report ANY other shooter if I had genuine concerns to my FEO.

I understand where you are comming from and am in agreement with you, just seems rather a waste of time if they don't follow up countersignatures even with a quick phone call to make sure all is above board. My countersignatures are also know by the FSEL-police but they always comment that they still have not been contacted by the FSEL I just say not to worry.

Back