HELP!!! I've got a tick on my leg. How do I get it off?

njc110381

Hey guys. It's a bit late to be asking this but I've just spotted it and I don't have a remover. What's the best plan?

njc110381 said:
Hey guys. It's a bit late to be asking this but I've just spotted it and I don't have a remover. What's the best plan?
I`m not having a go at you personally but with the latest round of warnings about Lymes disease and still some people still don`t have the tools to sort the job. :rolleyes:
I would leave it then first thing in the morning, get down to your vets and get a O`tom tick remover. Works everytime.
003.jpg

002.jpg

basil.

Get you fingers round it an pull it out, Ive never used one of these tools the mark one finger is good enough for me and the dogs,
Ive never had a problem getting them out , there's also the mark one wife for the ones you can't reach .

There's hardly a stalking outing this year ive not brought one home ,never known it so bad .

The tick I can deal with but the midge is mental just now no breeze it's like a magic trick theres nothing there then theres clouds of them .

O'Tom Tick Remover

If you want to buy one of these O'Tom Tick Remover tools, you can get them off that well known auction site.

click here

Costs £4 posted.

Regards
Jonathan

Guys,

I use a spray called Expeditiion 50 or 100 which prevents both midges and ticks. Spray it on exposed areas of skin and especially your hands, wrist and head just before stalking or going out to enjoy the outdoors (avoid contact with eyes and mouth- it stings and tastes horrible) and tuck your socks into your trousers/boots or wear gaiters to prevent ticks getting up the legs. Prevention is better than reacting to the wee biting Barstewards.

Get you fingers round it an pull it out, Ive never used one of these tools the mark one finger is good enough for me and the dogs,
Ive never had a problem getting them out , there's also the mark one wife for the ones you can't reach .

You might well be practised at getting them off, but the danger with that method is that you can't help but squeeze the tick as you do it! All you are then doing is injecting yourself with the contents of the tick!!:eek:
This is where the risk of infection comes from! Ticks only draw blood out of you at first, but after a few days, they pass waste products back into you as well. This is when the risk of infection is greatest and why it is important to remove them ASAP.
Tick pullers such as the O'Tom pull them away without squeezing the body and therefore reduce the risk of infection. ALL stalkers should have some as you will eventually need them IMHO.;)
MS:)

Sqeeze its left bollock they dont like it and tend to loose their grip, failing which dab it with nail varnish remover it suffucates them and if you leave it a few minutes then you can rub it off.:D

I try to get the bright pink variety to match me nails it stings a bit though if you get one on your helmet:p

Last edited:
Guys,

I use a spray called Expeditiion 50 or 100 which prevents both midges and ticks. Spray it on exposed areas of skin and especially your hands, wrist and head just before stalking or going out to enjoy the outdoors (avoid contact with eyes and mouth- it stings and tastes horrible) and
tuck your socks into your trousers/boots or wear gaiters to prevent ticks getting up the legs.
Prevention is better than reacting to the wee biting Barstewards.
Just a note on this, I was properly attired at the time, even had British issue gaiters over tucked in socks trousers etc, & I felt a dull needle like sensation on my shin, sure enough I had a tick attached in the thin skin right over the bone, tried all the usuals, vaseline etc, I ended up cutting it out as no one among the other stalkers had an O'Tom.

Get a pair of tweezers and grab it as close to your skin as you can and pull hard and straight, don't twist and then get a tick remover.

George

I'm a big fan of the Tick Lasso...just google it. Grabs the tick around the mouth parts so it doesn't regurgitate.

By the way, putting things like vaseline & spirits on them can also cause them to regurgitate.

Don't underestimate the importance of getting them off early and without squeezing them.

Sqeeze its left bollock they dont like it and tend to loose their grip, failing which dab it with nail varnish remover it suffucates them and if you leave it a few minutes then you can rub it off.:D

I try to get the bright pink variety to match me nails it stings a bit though if you get one on your helmet:p
Stu, The one I took off my dogs earflap was still active after ten days at the bottom of a pint glass of water,.

Stu, The one I took off my dogs earflap was still active after ten days at the bottom of a pint glass of water,.

Steve Lennard the TV vet showed me the dodge with the nail varnish remover he said it was taught to him at vet school and he did a demo for me on his cat which had a huge bean tick well dug in, left it a few minutes after applying the varnish remover the ******* withdrew its barbed mouth without recourgatating and he just brushed it off, I thought at the time if it does that on a cat it will similar apply to when i get a few on me and it does work a treat.:D

I have always pulled ticks out by hand and (probably by luck) never experienced any problem whatsoever. I recently purchased one of these twisty tick remover sticks and 3 weeks ago used it on a tick on my shoulder - i still have a scab and it's still itchy! going back to pulling them out with my hands instead

Steve Lennard the TV vet showed me the dodge with the nail varnish remover he said it was taught to him at vet school and he did a demo for me on his cat which had a huge bean tick well dug in, left it a few minutes after applying the varnish remover the ******* withdrew its barbed mouth without recourgatating and he just brushed it off, I thought at the time if it does that on a cat it will similar apply to when i get a few on me and it does work a treat.:D
Acetone would tend to loosen anybodys grip, if it were to get in the eyes, or eye!:D

If you haven't already cut your'e leg off try dragging the the tick behind you down to the nearest vets they usually sell o'toms.;)

Vaseline also works a treat. It acts in the same way as the nail varnish, it starves the tick of oxygen (It breathes throught is abdomen) and forces it to back out - the only know releasing agent to the ticks glue that holds it into your skin is also produced by the tick itself.

Back