what happens when you pop your clogs

WTF

No not going to the great hunting lodge in the sky but more practically what arrangements should we put in place regarding the cabinet and keys etc, I am the only key holder.

Incidenatlly I am not planning on shipping out soon.

Good question ,,,,wont apply to me i will be in a bin bag by then,:old:ps i might leave my **** to the feo that will screw him up doing the paperwork!!!!:cool:

Make sure that your next of kin know your wishes with regards to your most valued possessions and who your friendly RFD is (and how to contact them). Call the RFD before the police get involved. He can then break my cabinet keys out of my rigor mortised hands. That is of course if they ever find my body.

Make sure the Mrs knows roughley how much items are worth or your friendly RFD who you've spent many thousands of pounds with might offer £500 for the lot as a favour

Your family apply for a temporary permit to allow them to process the sale or transfer of your guns. That's what usually happens.

Make sure the Mrs knows roughley how much items are worth or your friendly RFD who you've spent many thousands of pounds with might offer £500 for the lot as a favour

Hell NO! She is never to know that. Not before or after I am dead. I do want to Rest In Peace.
I would rather my RFD give her the money that I told her they cost and give some money to my local clubs, or just donate my rifles to the club.

Boyz, I'm working on this as we speak, I saw a need for a personal service as an alternative to section 7, I'm launching soon as a RFD with the service of storage but with the added package of a letter of wishes where you lodge with my company
you contact us with your details and wishes, we agree to act, our pack is issued to you, this has instructions of action for the executor to contact us, we collect you rifles/equipment and carry out your wishes for an agreed price, price is dependant on... distance to travel from our three UK based storage sites/amount of rifles/shotguns and equipment/actions requested

I'm currently running pilot schemes via personal friends but because of this thread I could now extend to members on here (I have pre warned admin that I'm going trade) but I won't be rushed into this as strangely there is a lot to think about, web site to build and forms to compile, hang in there boyz keep taking the pills as I'm not quite there yet but very very close

I have a letter with my will explaining where the cabinet keys can be found. Shotguns are in joint names with my Son so these are sorted A family member is an RFD so disposal my rifle should be sorted.

The usual thing is that your next of kin, or someone on their behalf will contact the police. They will issue a temporary permit to possess the firearms (but not to use them) pending final disposal, whether that be the person nominated in the will to get them (which might involve them applying for a certificate or variation) or selling them. Shotguns are easier to deal with of course, if you know where they are going, it's just a case of transferring ownership if the recipient possesses a shotgun cert.

How to get into the cabinet though is another matter. Some leave keys with their solicitor, some have some other arrangement to let their nearest and dearest know where they are if they pop off. To be honest, nobody knows where my keys are and I don't intend telling anyone as it will potentially compromise security. When I shuffle off, a good search might find them. Or I can look down from above and chuckle as they struggle to get into the cabinet.

Perhaps, like warriors of old, we should be buried with our firearms. Although what the warriors had were weapons.....oh, that's a whole other thread! :D

Avoid choosing a complicated hiding place,otherwise your executors will never find them and you will probably forget where you put them. Equallydon’t leave your keys on top of the cabinet as this would just make them a present to burglars.

The easy way around that is to make provision in your will for an executor to contact a locksmith to gain access to your pride and joy inside the cabinet. In my case, the keys are in the cabinet and it is an alpha numeric keypad entry, so a locksmith is the only option in my situation.

Use common sense , just have a sealed envelope with instructions of where the keys are, and who to phone, this is what a mate of mine did, guns were at the RFD before the police new he was dead, and as long as they know where the guns are, then they don,t worry.

My will is simple, everything goes to my son.
He can sort the guns out, or not, because one thing is sure, I won't be worrying about them. Lol

Neil. :)

If you know your RFD well they may give you authority to transport the Guns to them for storage (once you get in the cabinet etc) as a Servant of them under the RFD there is no paperwork this is what i did for my father in laws guns told the RFD (family Friend) the day I was to transport the guns to him and If stopped by the police inform them I was transporting the Guns under his RFD and to contact him to check etc

If you know your RFD well they may give you authority to transport the Guns to them for storage (once you get in the cabinet etc) as a Servant of them under the RFD there is no paperwork this is what i did for my father in laws guns told the RFD (family Friend) the day I was to transport the guns to him and If stopped by the police inform them I was transporting the Guns under his RFD and to contact him to check etc

That's not possible. Temporary 'servants' as described aren't permitted. RFD's or their staff (properly authorised & registered) must collect in person.

Before you snuff it, just be aware that there is no shortage of RFD’s ready to exploit your demise. It’s a livelihood & there are plenty of these coffin-chasers & vultures out there. Some of them try to ingratiate themselves with their licensing FLD in the hope of a timely tip-off. Their aim is to forestall the natural tendency of your wife & family at a terrible time to think objectively, and take the easy solution on offer.

When it happens, your next of kin notifies and is issued with an Section 7 permit valid for 28 days or so. The term is extendable. FLM’s aren’t ogres. This is thinking time, during which your funeral, will, and last wishes can be discussed. It’s your duty while alive to assess what’s likely to be the best return for your estate & family.

[FONT=&quot]Personally, having attended and watched the bidding frenzy at many auctions I’ve left instructions with my executors to consign everything to my currently nominated auctioneer. If I get some warning there’ll be time to work out which one is achieving the best hammer price & taking the least commission. It definitely won’t be Holts, whose tactics I’ve already seen in action :([/FONT]

Funny Thought came to my mind ? I only wish I could see the wife's face when she looks at the sales receipts as to what the real cost of my toys was :rofl: "look love I got this for £100 all in ? A S&B scope, rifle, bipod, sling, gun case, ton's of reloading gear to last years oh yes and I got a free stalk !!!:fib: :love: :rofl:

a mate of mine has a key, he has no access to the house normally, (im told thats ok)
there is a list of the prices paid and a rough valuation in the cabinet.

Funny Thought came to my mind ? I only wish I could see the wife's face when she looks at the sales receipts as to what the real cost of my toys was :rofl: "look love I got this for £100 all in ? A S&B scope, rifle, bipod, sling, gun case, ton's of reloading gear to last years oh yes and I got a free stalk !!!:fib: :love: :rofl:

Paul I have copied your post and will print it off for Mary the next time I call by....lol

Tim.243

No worries here, their total value won't amount to much, never had the problem of hiding their value from the wife they will all go to my grandson he can do with them as he wishes their monetary value is negligible , but he may wish to keep some for sentimental reasons.

Keys not a problem ,he knows where the angle grinders kept:rofl:

Back