Available: Deer stalking in Berkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

teyhan1

I have today decided to offer my stalking in Berkshire to somebody else as it is too far away for me .
So what is on offer

2x farms and a number of smaller pieces and a few contacts of places that I have had and no longer have ( but still have details ).
What species: I have shot Roe and Muntjac very regularly and the odd Fallow. Both farms have produced Gold medals as I make a point of not overshooting them.

SD members that can verify that my land does hold deer are Williegunn, Plonker, Caz and quite a few Danish people (but they're not on SD).

So what is the deal?

I will sign over all of my land to you. All of the land are non-paid for permissions. Most of the land I have signed dates from 1997, and 98. So I have been on it for a very long time and know it very well.
I will introduce you to the landowners and make sure that they are all happy with you to continue. What you do and where you take it is up to you. I had this land for 19 years, you loose it in 1 that's up to you.

What do you need to do?

You must have an open certificate. Some of the smaller bits are literally gardens. OK, gardens of some very large houses but they still get deer problems.

What's it going to cost?

Well I've thought hard about this one. Finding stalking in the south is hard enough and a lot of leg work went in to getting this ground even in the 90's. Given I have had the ground for this length of time and I can get you in AND you never need to pay a penny again then I think a reasonable payment of £4000 is about right.
Now for those of you that say "bloody hell" £4000 in to 19 years is £210/year. Given that most leases will cost you upwards of £700/year to be in a syndicate I think it's about right. Don't forget this is just you. No other members. When you pay the money that's it, I will walk away ( well drive really because I now live in Herefordshire, which is why it is too far to visit regularly). You will never see me again, unless you want to invite me.

I'm going up in late April. If you want to come it'll cost you normal stalking fees which if you decide to take the land on will be deducted from the total.

ADMIN note: Can you let me know if you require any trade payment for this?

"bloody hell" £4000 in to 19 years is £210/year.

Actually, that is a return to you equivalent to £210 per year, not including any returns from selling paid for stalking and carcase sales, if any.

However, for someone who pays £4,000 and retains it for one year, that is £4,000/year. Or ten years, £400 per year, plus stalking fees and carcase sales, or 19 years at £210 per annum.

However, you make a very good point. £4000/700 = 5.71 years at syndicate prices, for single stalking not shared.

Actually, that is a return to you equivalent to £210 per year, not including any returns from selling paid for stalking and carcase sales, if any.

However, for someone who pays £4,000 and retains it for one year, that is £4,000/year. Or ten years, £400 per year, plus stalking fees and carcase sales, or 19 years at £210 per annum.

However, you make a very good point. £4000/700 = 5.71 years at syndicate prices, for single stalking not shared.

My point exactly.
I have had it free and can see no reason it will not continue so.
If whoever takes it on messes it up then it's on their head.

How many acres Glyn? What type of farms are they? What kind of percentage woodland/crops/pasture?
Are the landowners agreed to sign over a new contract for a lease? What would be the duration?

OK getting a few enquiries. Answers in red.

Can you tell me roughly how big the two farms each are (i.e. acreage)
I genuinely have no idea how big they are. I will look on google and get an approx measurement. I just know they hold deer.
and whether they are arable, have shoots on them, have any wooded areas?
Both the farms belong to wealthy people and as such they don't really farm it. A farmer comes and cuts the grass on one and sometimes grows crops and sometimes grows silage. They both abutt large wooded areas.
Do the farmers have any requirements re how they want you to manage the deer or any other requirements (e.g. that you do any fox / rabbit control)?
All the areas have left me to get on with it. I have one area that would love somebody to take on the rabbit control. Both farms don't mind the foxes being shot but I haven't really bothered.
Are the farmers freeholders or tenants and roughly how old are they? - In other words are they about to hand over to sons or retire / sell up?
They own the farms. Couldn't tell you if they are about to sell up, I wouldn't ask them either. They are only interested in having the deer numbers kept under control.
Roughly what numbers of deer have you been taking off the farms per annum? Is this what you see as the right sustainable number?
Think Plonker and I have taken 9-10 animals in the last year. 4 Roe the winter, 4x Muntjac summer/spring (bucks and does), 1x nice (6pt buck on his avatar), I shot a nice buck in the spring, and there could have been more.
Re the 'gardens' roughly what numbers of deer have you been taking off all of them on average? Are they reasonable private re actually shooting the deer or do you have to exercise extreme care to avoid being seen and heard by neighbors
I tend to leave the sensitive areas for early mornings, some of it is semi urban so discretion is advised.
Finally can you give me the nearest town to the centre of gravity to these permissions so I can estimate how far away they are?
Not yet, with respect. But all within 1/2 hr of Reading.

Further to another question. My response

I would only ask the landowners once you had had a chance to come and have a look around. You would be present and it would give me the chance to introduce you and to explain to them my handover to you.
If they say "no" then you walk away without having paid.

Please remember that I have known these people for nearly 20 years. It will be a sad day when I walk away, but in respect for them I just don't have enough time anymore.

What an outstanding offer to the membership. No need for trade membership.

I sincerely hope that who ever is lucky enough to take this offer on board will cherish this opportunity. Where else would you find such an offer being advertised....................only on the SD site.

Thank you

What an outstanding offer to the membership. No need for trade membership.

I sincerely hope that who ever is lucky enough to take this offer on board will cherish this opportunity. Where else would you find such an offer being advertised....................only on the SD site.

Thank you

Thanks Malc,
I am a nice guy really and i make a point of not selling what I don't have.
If I didn't have animals there, I wouldn't take people on an armed ramble. I would be too embarassed and it would bore me knowing nothing was going to come out.

why not keep the permission and say for a fee let the stalking per season with usual rules and regs .great area around reading for deer used to stalk englefield est as a guest lovely
something along those lines would interest me and at a guess a few others
regards Norma

Last edited:
A little taken aback Glyn. Have edited my post to clarify. Actually I was genuinely interested and wanted to know if the landowner had agreed to sign a contract if a meeting went well. Depending on this and the size of the ground in Berkshire I was going to ask if you were open to negotiation. .... heavy negotiation perhaps!

Not going to get in to this now.
Please stay off my thread
and the fridge works lovely

Indeed it is - I also stalked on Englefield for many years and there's no shortage of deer around those parts.
with R.J one of the most experienced nicest stalker I've had the pleasure of stalking with ?
Norma

why not keep the permission and say for a fee let the stalking per season with usual rules and regs .great area around reading for deer used to stalk englefield est as a guest lovely
something along those lines would interest me and at a guess a few others
regards Norma

Yes Norma, you are right re:Englefield. I have been trying to get an appt with Mr Benyon for years. He dines regularly with one of my leases.
I had considered yearly rents but I want a clean cut.

Just noticed your edit. Lets not get personal. I think where I stalk and who I stalk for are irrelevant and I certainly would not break confidence on my knowledge of you. I think the questions raised are valid ones. I think you need to be honest about what you are selling when you are talking that kind of money especially to the uninitiated. Once the buyer fully aware then I think its up to them! ... I guess you won't accept an offer with conditions then!?

Can't you read, I asked you to stay off my thread.

Yes Norma, you are right re:Englefield. I have been trying to get an appt with Mr Benyon for years. He dines regularly with one of my leases.
I had considered yearly rents but I want a clean cut.
I know the agent pretty well he shoots with us but wouldn't stalk it now out of respect for my pal who was £££t on by the current incumbent doing the stalking on the est
if things change with you get in touch kind regards
Norma

Right I have deleted the unhelpful, and heckling posts. More of my valuable time spent clearing up unwanted and uncalled for posts.

Now We as in Admin have given enough warnings about this type of posting. If someone makes such an offer it is all for the good of the membership. If you do not agree keep your BIG MOUTH SHUT!!

Sorry to put it so bluntly but quite honestly I for one am tired of people putting off what could turn out to be a very good offer for other people. WHY do people have to be SO NEGATIVE.

DONT complain if you find yourself BANNED. You have been warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back