Stuck cases

kevin01041961

Oh I a have a right problem ? 7mm rem mag I have new Lee die's and I bought once fired cases , now the problem hence the stuck cases, I have been reloading 20 years plus on 308 , 243, 22-250 .270 etc, I have decapped 30 cases no problem then bang stuck case well lubed etc but stuck releaced the case next case the same and so forth on every case, I then cleaned the cases and tried again they still stick why???
Yjey are all the same make of case all lubed correctly , so why on earth are they now sticking

Help guys Ive Knackered a new die as another case is stuck in it , any ideas????

Oh I a have a right problem ? 7mm rem mag I have new Lee die's and I bought once fired cases , now the problem hence the stuck cases, I have been reloading 20 years plus on 308 , 243, 22-250 .270 etc, I have decapped 30 cases no problem then bang stuck case well lubed etc but stuck releaced the case next case the same and so forth on every case, I then cleaned the cases and tried again they still stick why???
Yjey are all the same make of case all lubed correctly , so why on earth are they now sticking

Help guys Ive Knackered a new die as another case is stuck in it , any ideas????

MY old 308 Norma dies have a recess for the belt. Do the Lee dies have that?? If so, check to see if your once fired cases have a belt that has been squashed over size. A quick check is to insert the case backwards in the die and see how tight the belt fit is. or, if you haven't already, pay particular attention to lubing the belt.~Muir

Ahhh makes sense but the die de-capped 30 cases before if stuck, they are brand new dies , does this mean I can only neck size?
thanks for that any other ideas?

Ahhh makes sense but the die de-capped 30 cases before if stuck, they are brand new dies , does this mean I can only neck size?
thanks for that any other ideas?

You decapped the cases by not screwing the die in all the way? Or setting the decapper long? If so, and this is an odd one, the decapping rod didn't get shoved all the away up did it? ~Muir

Hi that is a possibility , I did 32 cases no problem but then they all stick, so when you do a normal case you screw the die in until it hits the case holder then an extra 1/4 turn then lock off, with belted cases do leave it standing off and the primer probe standing proud ? that makes sense

My thanks

Hi that is a possibility , I did 32 cases no problem but then they all stick, so when you do a normal case you screw the die in until it hits the case holder then an extra 1/4 turn then lock off, with belted cases do leave it standing off and the primer probe standing proud ? that makes sense

My thanks

No. You set up the dies the same way. I was suggesting that if you were just wanting to decap you might have set the die "high" in the press and extended the decapping rod downward so that the case doesn't size as the primer is popped out. I once had a decapping rod jammed up ward near the neck area and it stuck cases. Thought this might have happened to you.~Muir

Hi Kevin, you do have a bit of a strange problem. Muir has covered most points, maybe check the belt diameter with a good micrometer to see if they're oversized. Maybe check the de-capping / size-die expander assembly and make sure nothing has come loose. If you can get hold of some other brand of brass and see if they seize up, then it might be a bad resizing die. It's not common , but it does happen. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

AB

no thats fine, the first 30 went through no problems i set the die on the shell holder then a 1/4 turn, but the die although new is knackered ive had to get 5 cases that were stuck. so let me get this straight you set the dies as the same as non belted cases? i might buy a neck sizer and do away will full length case sizing

no thats fine, the first 30 went through no problems i set the die on the shell holder then a 1/4 turn, but the die although new is knackered ive had to get 5 cases that were stuck. so let me get this straight you set the dies as the same as non belted cases? i might buy a neck sizer and do away will full length case sizing

Yes. You set the dies the same. with a belted mag you won't get away with neck sizing only for too long. You'l eventually need to FL resize. Have you tried not adding that (sometimes disputed) 1/4 turn? Just screw the die down til it firmly contacts the shell holder. Size the brass and see how your rifle likes it. ~Muir

Hi , i'll try anything !!! trouble is i have knackered the die i think i've extracted 6 cases now and the pin is bent with frustration :banghead: Midway do spares so i'll order one but im going to get another die if i can, never thought about the belted part of the case, could i resize to just above the belted section? and have the pin out far enough to decap? how can i clean inside the die? i have tried wet and dry which is very fine. i'm going to buy some ammunition and some more brand new cases take the measurements, i have never ever had this happen before , but then again ive never loaded belted cases , thanks though for the help :old:

Last edited:
oh i have no rifle yet !!!! thats another story , its just i love as any man does being in his shed , my wife cannot understand why i spend so much time in there, thank you so much for your help ........................... i really truely thank you

oh i have no rifle yet !!!! thats another story , its just i love as any man does being in his shed , my wife cannot understand why i spend so much time in there, thank you so much for your help ........................... i really truely thank you

Kev, do yourself a favour and buy then load new brass, i always have a saying, new gun, new brass!
Very often once fired brass will not chamber in a new rifle even when full length re-sized, the reason being the rifle that the once fired were shot in may have a slightly looser chamber then your rifle (when you get it)

Ian.

Hi, mate sorted it, it wasnt what i was doing its the cases!!! i bought from a FAC dealer and he has just explained that the cases maybe 30-40 years old and they need heat treating as they are very very hard, so a breath of air as i thought it was me but looks like its me but doing things on the cheap , thanks for your help

Hi, mate sorted it, it wasnt what i was doing its the cases!!! i bought from a FAC dealer and he has just explained that the cases maybe 30-40 years old and they need heat treating as they are very very hard, so a breath of air as i thought it was me but looks like its me but doing things on the cheap , thanks for your help

An unusual solution to an unusual problem. Glad to hear you got it figured out.~Muir

after all the questions and answers given, i bought new dies and guess what not a sigle stuck case as yet that is cross fingers

Back