Low Magnification Scope Setting

Uncle Norm

As a result of a quest for reduced weight and having had advice from Hornet 6 and Tamus, I bought a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 and fitted it to my .243.

For years I have had scopes of 6X mag minimum so wondered what the 3X would be like ? Answer...very good at shortish ranges.

In my last two outings I have shot a Red, two Roe, three Muntjac and a fox, all with the scope set on 3x and at 40 to 80 yds distance, all in woodland.

I have found that, at first light the scope on 3x is as bright as my Swaro 7x42 Porro prism binoculars and the low magnification is just fine for woodland.

It made me think of yesteryear when about the only scope one could get (or more relevantly afford) was the Nikko Sterling Gold Crown 4x40 wide angle.

However did we manage ?

As a result of a quest for reduced weight and having had advice from Hornet 6 and Tamus, I bought a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 and fitted it to my .243.

For years I have had scopes of 6X mag minimum so wondered what the 3X would be like ? Answer...very good at shortish ranges.

In my last two outings I have shot a Red, two Roe, three Muntjac and a fox, all with the scope set on 3x and at 40 to 80 yds distance, all in woodland.

I have found that, at first light the scope on 3x is as bright as my Swaro 7x42 Porro prism binoculars and the low magnification is just fine for woodland.

It made me think of yesteryear when about the only scope one could get (or more relevantly afford) was the Nikko Sterling Gold Crown 4x40 wide angle.

However did we manage ?

When I started hunting , all I could afford was a sporterised No. 4 Enfield with the issue sights , it worked great ( younger eyes lol ) A Sterling 4X40 !!!!!!! Luxury !!!

You were lucky (Ooo, you can just here the pythons), all I had was a spear aligned to a Mark 1 Eyeball sighting system supported by my patented Homo Erectus mono arm launching rig. Totally devastating at a 1000m

FN

You were lucky (Ooo, you can just here the pythons), all I had was a spear aligned to a Mark 1 Eyeball sighting system supported by my patented Homo Erectus mono arm launching rig. Totally devastating at a 1000m

FN

Spear !!!!!! we dreamed of having a spear !!!! luxury

However did we manage ?

All joking aside, I'm a big fan of variable scopes with a low power setting. For some reason , I find that I've been taking more game at close range as I get older ( maybe that's the reason ) and a 2 X or 3X setting is just right . And yes, you're right we are spoiled for choice.

AB

This season I hunted open ground with a 7-08 and a 3-9 Zeiss on top set to 3X. Worked well. Last season I used my 6.5x55 with my 3-9 set at 3X with the same results. This past summer, MarinePMI and I got into a rock busting fest at 700 yards with our 6.5's and I never moved mine off of 3X.~Muir

This season I hunted open ground with a 7-08 and a 3-9 Zeiss on top set to 3X. Worked well. Last season I used my 6.5x55 with my 3-9 set at 3X with the same results. This past summer, MarinePMI and I got into a rock busting fest at 700 yards with our 6.5's and I never moved mine off of 3X.~Muir
God I wish our ammo was that cheap !

Back