What calibre is best

BIGRED

OK guys im using a .22 mag for fox shooting/lamping but im now hoping to go to deer stalking what calibre should i go for ive been told .243 and also 22 250 yous are the guys using them so i will go with what yous say .
I am also doing my DSC1 soon but have been told there is a pre course what can you tell me about this
Thanks Peter:)

If you are stalking in NI, you are after Fallow and Sika. Stating the obvious, 22/250 is not even deer legal. So you have in practical terms, 243 and larger for deer. I would personally not entertain a 243 as an NI stalker - it is just not enough gun for Sika.

Minimum I would recommend is a 6.5x55. Anything from the 6.5 and up will be more than good enough. However, if you are a beginner stalker, I would suggest a 308 as a do it all. Plenty of factory ammo options to keep it feed. Muzzle blast and recoil are manageable. Get a mod fitted as a "must have" from day one.

Get your 22/250 and use it on the foxes.

pre course i suspect would not be money well spent. the level one course often has people on it that have very limited shooting knowlege you will be ok. calibre depends on main species if its mainly sika and red i would go larger than .243, the .243 will do the job but bigger will do the job better. i have 243 and 308 and i have used both for munties and roe both do job ok. do a search on calibres there is no shortage of opinion, but dont expect a definative answer as there isnt one

7mm 08 covers all the UK bases very nicely and fills the gap between .243 and .308 (it is the same case family) in that it is a comfortable round to shoot - especially with a mod fitted; is pretty flat shooting (so a sensible zero will give a good working PBR) and has good terminal effects. I'm guessing you'll get a lot of differing suggestions but I would suggest that if you get the option shoot as many deer legal cals as you can find. Some just seem to feel better than others (personal view with no added science)

7mm 08 covers all the UK bases very nicely and fills the gap between .243 and .308 (it is the same case family) in that it is a comfortable round to shoot - especially with a mod fitted; is pretty flat shooting (so a sensible zero will give a good working PBR) and has good terminal effects. I'm guessing you'll get a lot of differing suggestions but I would suggest that if you get the option shoot as many deer legal cals as you can find. Some just seem to feel better than others (personal view with no added science)

Fabnosh, I would agree entirely with you but for one problem. A 7/08 is going to be very hard to feed in NI unless a guy handloads. I am sure ammo could be ordered, but I have yet to see it on the shelf.

Fabnosh, I would agree entirely with you but for one problem. A 7/08 is going to be very hard to feed in NI unless a guy handloads. I am sure ammo could be ordered, but I have yet to see it on the shelf.

That's actually a very good point. I guess the tail may have to wag the dog. Maybe .308 is the answer in that case.

Leave the 243, is ok but .get something thats more of the job, instead of pretending. Go 223 remmy & 6.5 to 270.keep the 22 plinker for bunny, etc. If you must go larger, as some do , try a nice No4 enfield , something with character. Just my 50p worth.:lol:

.243 is a bit light don't get me wrong it's a good calibre but you have put the round in the right place and expect runner's if you don't put them int he right place. 6.5 upwards is a good place to start looking although have a look at a .30cal so .308/30-06 etc will cover everything from Muntjac to Sika with no problem at all. will do anything in the UK, very versitile cartridge and everybody stock ammo.

Jase

I'm also in the 'don't bother with .243' camp. I'd probably go for a .308 as it will do it all and the short action is probably easier to use if it's your first centrefire.

I agree with all the above. I shoot a 6.5x55 but if I had my time again I would start with a .308, especially as I don't reload.

When I did my D.S.C 1 the course instructor said that if we were content to stick to Roe then a 243 would be all the rifle we needed. If we wanted to shoot from 200m at reds on a hill to buy a 270 and if we had aspirations of pigs or plains game in Africa to go 7mm. I think it still is good advice. On his advice I bought a 270 and never had a problem, only reason I got rid of it was to fund a painfull 'wantneed another rifle aquisition' syndrome. It's funny how once you get into stalking that invites tend to appear and you end up doing things and seeing places you never thought you would. Buy 'enough gun' to cover most bases (leave some bases uncovered for 'wantneeds') and budget for enough ammo to get familiar with it on a range day. The 20 rounds the dealer throws in won't be enough if you are just venturing into centrefire rifles. Don't be afraid to try whatever you buy in all positions you might shoot it, prone, kneeling and standing. Not all rifles that look a million dollars fit everyone well. Very few rifles give stock-to-eye alignment suitable for big 'scopes so maybe add a comb riser to the budget. Never be afraid to ask advice and remember that most salesmen are just that, get impartial advice from somewhere else or take along someone who you trust. A moderator will make learning to shoot centrefire more pleasant and you can always leave it at home if it spoils your rifle handling in the field.
Then you are addicted and a whole world of pain will kick the snot out of your income.

As Claret Dabbler has said, be careful that you can get the ammunition for your desired calibre. I am going to join the many in saying a .308 would be hard to beat, but if you can get the ammo there are some real bargains to be had in .270 in the gunshops.

I am a big fan of the 7mm round, but ammo is harder to find in 7x64 and 7mm-08 than 7mm rem-mag. At least it is round here! All three would do the job but reloading would be a necessity for the first two (probably?).

Have fun making your decision, but remember to buy the best glass you can to sit on top of your rifle! Everybody says it, but it really is true. Having used a few 'scopes now, I wish I had bought a 8x56 instead of a 7x50 and an illuminated reticle would have been a wise choice (for deer & foxing too) for me :doh: Ho hum, the 7x50 is going to sit on the rimfire when I can afford to trade up.

ft

I have a 6.5 and a 25.06, first season using the 25.06 its a cracking round, you can use 75 grain vmax for fox or 100 grain for deer, its a very flat round and ive been very impressed by it would highly recomend the calibre.

wicklow202

I would take a few days accompanied stalking and use the estate rifle before splashing out on a rifle - ask them to be able use the rifle a bit on their range. Failing that see if you can get on a range to try some out. In terms of calibre good advice already given, but do take into account ammo availability - 243, 270, 308 you will find every where - others much more hit and miss. Find though a rifle that fits well and is comfortable to you before spending your hard earned pennies.

Back