Cured venison ham

scubadog

Any one ever cured a venison haunch?
Watched a you tube video on making a Yorkshire ham...any one done it on venison?

I would be tempted to follow guidance for duck ham.

Shooting Times had something in the past four weeks.

Stan

Good thread there.
This is the video that I watched on you tube.
Seems to be a slightly different method.

Scubadog, are you wanting to make an air dries parma type ham or a ham to be cooked afterwards? They require different techniques and ingredients as you pointed out in your post above. I have air dried venison but never tried to make a cookable 'ham' I'd be interested to see how you got on with that. I could probably help with cobbling a recipe together if you like.

Get the old English cure from sausage making.org and cure the shoulders with the bone in. Then boil with stock veggies for a couple of hours. Best to leave them to cool in the stock for a couple of days before eating.

It it is excellent. I did it with fallow shoulders ages ago. I think I cured it for about 4-5 days.

K

Any one ever cured a venison haunch?
Watched a you tube video on making a Yorkshire ham...any one done it on venison?

Hi, I've got some on the go right now. Mix an 80% brine solution (2.5 l of water to 1.2kg of normal salt) and pierce the meat well. I then cure it in the brine for 30 mins per 25mm of thicknes. Take it out of the brine and hang it in the chiller to dry out for 3 hrs or overnight. I then pop it into the hot smoker at 50 deg c for 40 mins and then add sawdust and increase the temp to 70deg c and smoke it for several hours until its internal temp reaches 65 deg c. I then take it out and rinse it in cold water to cool it down and pop it back in the chiller for 12 hrs to let the tase mellow. After that its done. Its lovely, its like a venison ham and is very good to eat. Try making a VLT sandwich with gerhkin in some home made mayonaise.

Kind regards, Olaf

Back