Which Harris Bipod?

Fishermandan

Need a nice light bipod to use on my. 243 and 22lr. Happy to use sticks for higher shots, just wondering whether the 6-9" would be ok in the field. It appeals since its lighter and smaller than the next one up, 9-13", but the spec suggests the smaller one is designed for plinking targets from a bench rather than out in the field. Anyone tried the little one in 'real life' as it were? What's the verdict?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I made the mistake of getting the largest size, it's either too low or too high for sitting shots. There are other makes that have a lot more fine adjustment.

The low one is just too short for prone in a field especially shooting across a dip - can't get the stock set into the shoulder. There are screw adjusters in the longer bipods to allow them to be adjusted down from max height.

The 9-13" is the most versatile, 6-9" is better suited for benchrest

I have both the above, however I favour the Harris 12-25 inch swivel one. Works prone at a pinch and can be used for sitting. To an extent it depends on your height and your girth. Borrow a couple to try before you buy if you can.

Regards

JCS

Medium height 9-13 is the best all rounder. Short bipods invariably seem to need the legs extended unless benched or off vehicles. Long one is only really good for sitting shots IMO but are less stable than quad sticks

Tried them all! The tall ones are just too unstable and you are better off standing off quad sticks. The low ones are just too low unless bench rest shooting.
The best all-round is the 9-13" swivel base. The only decision then is whether to go for notched legs or smooth! That I'm afraid is personal preference, although mine are all smooth.
MS

Need a nice light bipod to use on my. 243 and 22lr. Happy to use sticks for higher shots, just wondering whether the 6-9" would be ok in the field. It appeals since its lighter and smaller than the next one up, 9-13", but the spec suggests the smaller one is designed for plinking targets from a bench rather than out in the field. Anyone tried the little one in 'real life' as it were? What's the verdict?

Thanks in advance!

Started off the bi-pod route, it took a few months and know it sits in the cupboard...I migrated to quad sticks, rifles are unbalanced enough with the can most people have on the front...let alone the extra weight of a bi-pod.
Tim.243

tried both on my Sako 85 and like has been said above the 6-9 was too short. I got the 9-13 and have set it up just right for me at 11 so 9 way too short. Great bipods though and very light.

Ha! there's nothing like a consensus... I realise it's a bit like asking, 'what is the ideal size for a shotgun (or woman)' - you have to find one that fits you, and is appropriate for the conditions in which you feel confident shooting....

For those who remember Finbar Saunders; I'll give the '6-9" one I have to hand' a try 'in the rfield', and if that fails to 'bag me a few bunnies' I'll consider 'splashing the extra cash' to 'go for the full 13" extension'...

Enough now matron! etc. etc....

Seriously though - thanks for all the replies; it's really good to get a range of opinion to inform my eventual choice, you guys have been great as always!

Have tried out the 6-9" one now and it suits me perfectly. Anything higher I can shoot off my knee, or higher still off sticks.

Thanks for all advice guys.

Depends on what it will be used for really,found the 9-13 just to short for the hill where 99.9 % of shots will be prone , gone to 12-25 which just gives that extra bit of length to get above the heather.

If only shooting on low ground I would probably opt for 9-13 and a set of sticks, though I have never found the long one much of a disadvantage in that situation I still team it up with a set of sticks on low ground covered for every eventuality.

6-9 works well for me,folds up a lot neater too

i agree with this, have one on both of my rifles all the time. I don't find the weight an issue athough with a traditional sling I found it dug into my back. I find the 9-13 to tall for me to be able to put my hand under the stock to support the back. I would recommend a z-aim sling if your using a bipod as it keeps the rifle on its side and not digging into your back

I got the 6-9 and it's fine, would use sticks for anything higher to be honest.

How do most of you guys mount these by the way, seems to be OK folding either towards the muzzle or towards the stock....

Back