8x57mm JRS

stalkinginengland

What do you think ? I asked my FEO today about a 8x57mm jrs for boar in france. He told me that it was unlikely that I would be allowed it because of the size. However I know of a stalker not 10 miles from me with a 300 win mag and i am quite sure that the 300win mag is bigger than the 8x57 am I right? Bare in mind I have had 3 full bore rifles for the past 25 years with no problems at all. Do you think he may be being over cautious as he did admit that he did not know much about continental calibres. Also he would not try to cause trouble as he is the most helpful feo I have ever met.

Mark

300mag is 7.62mm and large case
8mm is 7.92(i think) and less powder
so slightly bigger in bore but less case/power
it shouldn't matter what it is if its for abroad.
8x57 is military and not sure about france and this cal.?

300mag is 7.62mm and large case
8mm is 7.92(i think) and less powder
so slightly bigger in bore but less case/power
it shouldn't matter what it is if its for abroad.
8x57 is military and not sure about france and this cal.?

Thanks for that John I am not sure about the military round thing in france but that said I was using one out there about 2 weeks ago and that was on a french mans permit.

Mark

8x57jrs or 8x57irs as it is sometimes marked should be no problem at all. It's the rimmed version of 8mm Mauser and not just perfectly legal in France but very popular. Power wise it's about the same as .30-06 and with the right bullets perfect for everything from small deer right up to the heaviest boar, though the French refer to it as a small calibre whith regard to boar.
I suggest that your FEO go and do his homework and find out a little bit more about this cartridge. I use bullets ranging from 175 grn up to 220 grn in mine though the most popular bullet weight is normally 196 grn.

In 8mm cartridges the S at the end denotes .323 bullets and not .318 as used in the older 8mm rifles.
Until recently I had an 8X68S Weatherby Mk.5 rifle.
HWH.

May I suggest you acquire something like the Norma catalogue and show the ignoramus of FEO the difference.

Yes the 8mm has a slightly larger diameter bullet 0.015" actually but as pointed out is has a smaller case than even the 30-06 at 57mm instead of the 06's 63mm case length. So with such a tool, the catalogue or a decent hand loading guide/manual you should be able to educate the overpaid and under educated so called civil servant :rolleyes:.

Oh yes surprised no one mentioned the J is actually a German I for Infantry.

It was also suggested that even if it were granted that it would be just for france but from what I am reading it would be not to far out for reds over here ! This was my first thought but I did not raise the point as I have never had anything to do with 30 06 or 300 win mag. I must say that He is a very good FEO and he did admit and was quite open that he did not know enough about continenal calibres but would try for me which I have no doubt he will.

Mark

May I suggest you acquire something like the Norma catalogue and show the ignoramus of FEO the difference.

Yes the 8mm has a slightly larger diameter bullet 0.015" actually but as pointed out is has a smaller case than even the 30-06 at 57mm instead of the 06's 63mm case length. So with such a tool, the catalogue or a decent hand loading guide/manual you should be able to educate the overpaid and under educated so called civil servant :rolleyes:.

Oh yes surprised no one mentioned the J is actually a German I for Infantry.

Cartridges of the World, by Frank C. Barnes, page 205 confirms what I stated ie. that the original bullet diameter was .318 inches.
[ Weight 226 grains.]

HWH.

Last edited:
Cartridges of the World, by Frank C. Barnes, page 205 confirms what I stated ie. that the original bullet diameter was .318 inches.
[ Weight 226 grains.]

HWH.

Ahhh I was not disagreeing with you the OP asked about the 8x57 JRS (or 8x57IRS in German speak) which uses the later i.e after 1905 0.323" Spitzer bullet. Which of course is 0.015" larger than the .308" bullet as used in the 300 Win mag and 30-06. I have a version of COTW somewhere here but do not need to look up those sizes having a rifle chambered in 7.92 ( 8x57 JS) I am rather familar with them.

The 8x57JRS will certainly be suitable for any deer in the UK :D choose the right bullet of course as in any cartridge.

Noe Chapuis make some rather nice little numbers chambered for the 8x57JRS :drool: got the chance to shoot a rally nice upmarket one some years back at Bisley's Short Sibera range. It was a very nice and accurate rifle using 196 grn RWS ammunition. Sadly I could not afford the £4000 price tag :cry:.

Back