Larder cooling

Peter Eaton

After my visit from the EH officer yesterday when she couldnt stop laughing at my firdge I use for deer )) .......does anyone know of how to convert a small brick out house into a larder. I know how to line the builing ect and put the rails etc in but I can find anywhere that does cooling systems. Would I be able to utilise an old fridge or domestic cooling device for this? The only reason I ask is when my fridge packs up the EH officer said she would accept me doing the larder conversion.

A couple of my friends made larders out of breeze blocks, lined with dairy board and bought chiller units on ebay or from local refridgeration mechanics etc.

Depending on budget Tarrant Fridges do units.

CM

Work out the cubic capacity and then shop round for a chiller unit. I got one from Polar coldrooms who were quite helpful. Send me a PM if you are going to build one. I built one so can tell you of the pitfalls.

Regards

Frank

Thanks for the replies gents. I have infact built a free standing breeze block structure which is 1.3 x .90 x 2 mtrs which houses my fridge at present. What I intended to do was line the wall and cileing with celotex panels for insulation then cover that with plastic panelling. What I need is a cooler unit to handle that space. I dont really need it at the moment as I dont shoot enough deer to justify the work, but in the future I may well do and could also fit a hoist in there to save my back.

Pete

Try local horsebox companies. I bought a chiller back from one in Winterbourne Whitechurch a few years ago. They often buy lorries and remove the back to convert into horse lorries.

After my visit from the EH officer yesterday when she couldnt stop laughing at my firdge I use for deer.
Sorry, why was she laughing?
I use (as many people on here) a drinks fridge (mine was a stella fridge) i can get a fallow buck in it and it stays around 3c even on a hot day in the summer.
If i get a red it goes straight to the game dealer.
If she is concerned about how long it takes to reach the required temperature you could overcome this by switching it prior to going out stalking.
Or perhaps your fridge had other short comings not mentioned?
Otherwise you could be spending more when you don't have to.
Does she actually know what she is talking about or just using this as a personal development plan for herself?
Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard

She only laughed as she had never done an inspection as the one she was doing. She thought I would have a huge game larder for deer and not a fridge. The only reason she said to convert my small out building was to help me, at the end of the day although people think the EH officers will try and stop them selling deer, they will actually help you. I would advocate that everyone supplying deer registers with them as it is a legal requirement.

at the end of the day although people think the EH officers will try and stop them selling deer, they will actually help you.
That is correct, they will help you, as mine did, i thought i would have to make major alterations and buy stainless tables which was not the case.
In fact his help with the HACCAP plans was invaluable, along with an unamed member on this forum.
Cheers
Richard

Back