An Alternative Approach To Eye Testing

The self-inflating waterproof cushion proved invaluable as rainwater ran through the pine tree’s ravines, past my new Cabela’s wool jacket and out from beneath the best £18 I’ve ever spent. Leica 15 power told me night was finally receding and another rainy day on the Greensand Ridge was here to stay. Five minutes later and I knew my fallow ambush was dead in the water. Where there had been 18 of the pronking jokers on Sunday, now there were none. I decided to go deerstalking!

The wind was readable as you might expect but on my patch such is the topography you have to think on your feet as there are always sudden changes and eddies to contend with so up to high ground along the boundary I headed. Progress was good and believe it or not I was glad of the soaked ground as it certainly makes stalking easier and has done since mid autumn. What does not make things easier however is no longer being able to see as I once did, with woodland now more soft focus Nikon than Austrian crystal. My one task this weekend and that I simply cannot put off any longer is procurement of proscription shooting glasses. I just find it very difficult to ask for lenses that involve the letter Z!

Even before I’d fully focused the Duvids at a more modest 10 power I sensed there was something only 70 yards away and dropped slowly to my knee. A wee fallow buck would have to do. I eased the K250 from shoulder and laid it in the mud and deployed the lightweight Snyper Stix. Easing the rifle into the V of these fine sticks the buck finally looked my way but too late as I’d already pushed forward the Jewel ‘s safety and another 38.5 grains of my fast dwindling supply of Varget was burning.

A most enjoyable stalk and a beautiful fallow that after some 10 days hanging will be on the Restaurant menu for sure.

Cheers

K
IMG_3728_zps0b54d115.jpg

IMG_3733_zpsf967ccb7.jpg

very nice write up, and guess what as I write this its p***ing it down. Still its better here than some poor sole have it

Thanks

Not the best of thread titles for what is Fallow Bashing but after dragging it the best part of a mile I allowed myself a POST stalk beer or two in the evening!

K

K - glad you managed to bag a 'prickle' all I saw that weekend were a couple of fallow 10 yards behind a seat I was sat in on next doors land... good news though was I managed to stay 100% dry in sunny Suffolk

IMG_0523[1].jpg

nice write up and pictures,bit optomistic having sun shade on in this weather tho:tiphat: oh and also digging the phantom of the opera look:-|

Back