Calling Sika

jingzy

I know someone that used to use a whistle or a squeeker out of the bottom of a dogs toy. He would buy about 20 of them, then go through them all until he got the correct tone. Hopefully, this will help some.

J

The elk whistle seems to be what is in vogue at the moment seems like a good deal of practice is needed. I have a dvd on calling Sika an roe if you want it i will send it soon as.

6.5 x 55 said:
The elk whistle seems to be what is in vogue at the moment seems like a good deal of practice is needed.

As Dave says the Elk cow whistle works well, I have used the Primos one, it has a rubber band to control the pitch, I found it worked best with the band set so the pitch was at its highest. ;) I didn't practice that much before I used it. :rolleyes:

Best rgds

Tahr

I have used the "Screery" elk call for the last three years with a fair bit of success. Just as Thar says you need to keep the the adjusting band at its tightest for the best results. Mind you I think that they would come to almost anything when the rut is on and the mood is upon them.

I have heard of people using the squeakers out of cuddly toys, the old favourite "Acme" predator call all sorts of high pitch squeal producing devices. So I should imagine that if it squeals something like a Sika during the rut, you are in with a good chance.

John

This is the one I use.

PIC00254.jpg

Best rgds

Tahr

Can anyone tell me the name if the guy in Scotland that Sika/Elk whistles? Read it on here and now cant find the thread.
Ta everyone

I use the Sceery ACE 1 Special Elk Call

Have a practice with it. If you are lucky enough to be able to listen to sika calling you can mimic the stag calls. Often a short soft "mewl" can bring an inquisitive stag in, otherwise its the pattern of 3 rising/falling whistles which can make a stag think there is another in the area.

Was out on Saturday morning at first light.....saw three stags "play" fighting about 300m away.....called 3 times and waited.......5 minutes later I was aware I was being watched....turned around slowly to see a stag not 20 yards behind me coming in to see who was whistling on his patch!! There was that awkward moment when I looked at my slung rifle and he decided whether to fight or flight...in the end he flounced off barking away!

The other three ignored me!

I use the Sceery ACE 1 Special Elk Call

Have a practice with it. If you are lucky enough to be able to listen to sika calling you can mimic the stag calls. Often a short soft "mewl" can bring an inquisitive stag in, otherwise its the pattern of 3 rising/falling whistles which can make a stag think there is another in the area.

Was out on Saturday morning at first light.....saw three stags "play" fighting about 300m away.....called 3 times and waited.......5 minutes later I was aware I was being watched....turned around slowly to see a stag not 20 yards behind me coming in to see who was whistling on his patch!! There was that awkward moment when I looked at my slung rifle and he decided whether to fight or flight...in the end he flounced off barking away!

The other three ignored me!

+1 Great experience.

Glendine

r.macleod.co.uk supplies Sceery game calls by post or in person from Scotland. very pleasant people to deal with.
Hope this helps.

Back