Demodex

Mannlicher_Stu

Is demodex mite sometimes found on deer as well as dogs is it something we as stalkers can contract? and if so how do we get rid of it? also what safe guards should we use to minimise the risk of transference.

I was get'n my D's mixed up there STU, think'n of DEXTROL.

Silly Me!!! There Glucose tablets, but will I'm on that subject,

they'd be great for you to SUCK !!!

When your out and about, to give you that wee bit more sustenance. :old: :D

Rgds, Buck.

Last edited:
I wsa get'n my D's mixed up there STU, think'n of DEXTROL.

Silly Me!!! There Glucose tablets, but will I'm on that subject,

they'd be great for you to SUCK !!!

When your out and about, to give you that wee bit more sustenance. :old: :D

Rgds, Buck.

Personally I prefer sucking on those Clitoris Allsorts
Rgds Stu

Is demodex mite sometimes found on deer as well as dogs is it something we as stalkers can contract? and if so how do we get rid of it? also what safe guards should we use to minimise the risk of transference.

You don't need to worry. They are species specific. Most of us carry Demodex mites in our hair follicles anyway - especially your eyebrows. Your immune system keeps them in check. It is thought that something goes along and suppresses the immune system allowing the Demodex mites to multiply and cause problems [usually limited to a non-itchy baldness].

If we find Demodex in a dog we will treat to kill the mite, but we usually ask the question 'what else is wrong here to allow this to happen'.

Does that answer your question?

Incidentally if you are shooting deer you suspect of having the mite then contact your vet who should be able to get some sampling done. We all have a responsibility to remain vigilant for new and emerging diseases. Your role as a trained hunter should include this responsibility. This sampling is often free of charge.

You don't need to worry. They are species specific. Most of us carry Demodex mites in our hair follicles anyway - especially your eyebrows. Your immune system keeps them in check. It is thought that something goes along and suppresses the immune system allowing the Demodex mites to multiply and cause problems [usually limited to a non-itchy baldness].

If we find Demodex in a dog we will treat to kill the mite, but we usually ask the question 'what else is wrong here to allow this to happen'.

Does that answer your question?

Incidentally if you are shooting deer you suspect of having the mite then contact your vet who should be able to get some sampling done. We all have a responsibility to remain vigilant for new and
emerging diseases. Your role as a trained hunter should include this responsibility. This sampling is often free of charge.

Yes it answers my initial question, but can I quote you on that there is no charge for test samples on suspected Demodex in deer? Also where does this information end up?
So what are the likely causes of Demodex mange in deer?

Last edited:
Yes it answers my initial question, but can I quote you on that there is no charge for test samples on suspected Demodex in deer?
As I said on the other thread, I was involved in some sampling for Demodex in deer. The Veterinary Laboratories Agency (VLA) at Thirsk were interested. The lab definitely did not charge us anything for their work, and I don't think we charged the client anything for putting a bit of deer skin in a pot of formalin and posting it. All samples sent their are supposed to go through a vet practice, rather than you dealing with them directly.

The VLA is government funded and has as part of its remit to look for new and emerging diseases. I was a little coy with the addition of the word 'often' to cover myself!

The VLA is government funded and has as part of its remit to look for new and emerging diseases.

Sadly under threat due to reorganisation. VLA are a world class resource that we will sorely miss.

I haven't been charged for any work done, I now just bag up the ears if I suspect it and take a faecal sample and send it away. As I understand it, the more work the VLA get the more funding they get so they are keen to help and it's all for free.

Back