How do i fit rifles in my cabinet?!?!

jamesbilling

hey guys, i have a 5 gun bratosound cabinet and am having trouble fitting my rifles in.

it has a locking top and is deep with extra height. although i have on shotgun and 2 rifles presently i cannot seem to fit them in without the scope hitting the door or it being un balanced and falling back and hitting the door, i started to stand them barrel down as i have some foam in the bottom but this has not helped. any help would be much appreciated!

Sounds like you've got a normal shotgun depth cabinet, the rifle ones are listed as extra deep and you wouldn't be having the issue you describe.....

Sounds as though it's a 5 shotgun cabinet if you are having trouble with scoped rifles. If you have effective mounts on your scopes then they'll take the abuse of being pushed around into a position that keeps them there and allows you to close the door. Short of that, you'll need to get a cabinet which specifically accomodates scoped rifles or you could just take the scopes off. If you do that then I would advise you purchase a laser bullet to line your scope up instead of wasting bullets everytime. Zero at 16 yards with the laser against a white surface and it should be there or there abouts at 100 yards, maybe a tweak or two needed.

All the best,

Scott

3 ways,and depends on your budget! Get some foam and cut it to length/width of each slot but cut it with more depth, fill in each slot either side, then rest the barrel of what was once the divider, effectivley making one slot out of two, or pull the whole divider off the cabinet, and space it further out with either foam or some wood, or just sell the cabinet and buy one suitable for rifles! if its the latter, buy a bigger cabinet than you think you'll need.

I've always just worked on the principle that a 5-gun/rifle cabinet will take 3 scoped rifles with enough space around them fore easy access... so the solution is a second cabinet next to the first!!

got the same scopes to back at rifles in at 45 deg door shuts no probs slings and pods removed & s/g's barrel down extra deep my arse :doh: real pain using the others in the ???? other place:norty:

I've always just worked on the principle that a 5-gun/rifle cabinet will take 3 scoped rifles with enough space around them fore easy access... so the solution is a second cabinet next to the first!!

+1. Just got a second cabinet for that very reason. I can put the rifle in the cabinet now without the bipod or scope bumping another rifle. Regards JCS

3 ways,and depends on your budget! Get some foam and cut it to length/width of each slot but cut it with more depth, fill in each slot either side, then rest the barrel of what was once the divider, effectivley making one slot out of two, or pull the whole divider off the cabinet, and space it further out with either foam or some wood, or just sell the cabinet and buy one suitable for rifles! if its the latter, buy a bigger cabinet than you think you'll need.
I cut a piece of ply that sat on top of the original dividers and secured it with cable ties, all it does is move the slots further away from the back of the cabinet but it works for me.
Paul

Scopes to the back, not to the door side.

Neil. :)

Like he said, butts close to the door, scopes at the back and if you have foam inserts to hold barrels make them as close to the rear as possible. Failing that lay the cabinet on its back and you sudden
y seem to get loads more room. I've got a 5 rifle cabinet in the loft on its back and can easily fit 4 scoped rifles and 2 shotguns.

I have 3 rifles in a supposedly 5-rifle cabinet & STILL need to take care taking them out and replacing them. All are scoped with slings and unless they're placed in the cabinet butts first, with the barrels angled slightly towards the door the door can clash with the bottom of the butts. I can't possibly see how it could take 5 scoped rifles. I can easily get 2 S/S and an O/U in a 2-gun shotgun cabinet though :confused:

I have a couple of 7 gun Bratton cabinets bolted side by side. In reality you can only get 5 rifles in either of them. I put them in scope first and have no real problem. having two cabinets means you can store the ammo in the locked compartment at the top of one cabinet and the rifles in the other. Saying that my .22 with pulsar digital night vision plus additional IR illuminator on the top of the NV nearly takes up one cabinet on its own!
I was always told rifles should be stored barrel upwards, shotguns on the other hand should be stored barrels down as it prevents oil in the shotgun trigger mechanism running back into the stock

Agree with the comments you must have a shotgun cabinet but confused as I thought these did not come with top locking box. It could be that you are trying to put the rifles in with the scopes facing out, they should be towards the back. Ive got the brattonsound 5 gun deep rifle cabinet with top locking box, I can get in three scoped rifles, all with slings, two with bipods, along with three shotguns, 1 x O/U, 1 x S/S & 1 x Semi Auto. It does take a bit of jiggling but they all fit.

I was always told rifles should be stored barrel upwards

Perfect scenario for damaging the crown otherwise, I'd have thought. I always store mine butt-down & have my hand over the crown when I put them in the cabinet 'just in case'

shotguns on the other hand should be stored barrels down as it prevents oil in the shotgun trigger mechanism running back into the stock

As long as the action's not soaked in oil that shouldn't be an issue? My shotguns are stored butt-down too, & I've never had any problems. There shouldn't ever be enough oil on them to drip anywhere :thumb:

I agree they shouldn't have, it was just some information that a gun smith gave me and seemed to make sense at the time.

alas i have found that side by side works alright aha if i put them in scope back it doesn't work as they are top heavy and still swing forwards

I have a couple of 7 gun Bratton cabinets bolted side by side. In reality you can only get 5 rifles in either of them. I put them in scope first and have no real problem. having two cabinets means you can store the ammo in the locked compartment at the top of one cabinet and the rifles in the other. Saying that my .22 with pulsar digital night vision plus additional IR illuminator on the top of the NV nearly takes up one cabinet on its own!
I was always told rifles should be stored barrel upwards, shotguns on the other hand should be stored barrels down as it prevents oil in the shotgun trigger mechanism running back into the stock

Exactly the same here, I take the IR off the Pulsar to give an extra couple of inches
Wingy

Back