Resizing 270 Win to 25-06

turner.jc1

Hi All,

I should be getting a 25-06 barrel for my R93 soon, so am looking at reloading components. Good brass for it does not seem to be widely available, so I was thinking I could resize Norma .270 brass quite easily. Would this be a simple as running the .270 brass through a full length 25-06 die and trimming to length? I think theres a possibility i may have to neck turn also? I've never done any resizing before so just wanted to check.

HI JC,

Yes you should be able to resize .270 to .25-06 but make sure you lube the case well

But BEWARE esp if you or a colleague has a .270 as you don't want to mix up the cartridges by relying on the headstamp!

Back in the day when I 1st bought a .25-06 it came with a lot of reloaded .270 cases necked down to .25-06. If you are just stalking and the chamber isn't overly tight then you shouldn't need to neck turn. Once you have resized cycle a few through to see how they fit

Be careful and good luck!

DT

On this subject, i shoot a 25-06 and at present have 25-06 federal brass which I'm reloading. Would I need to work my load up again if i used resized .270 brass?

Why can you not just buy some proper correct size brass?

Please define "Good brass"!

Is the 25-06 so rare that it is unobtainum?

Somehow I find that very hard to believe. Around here we are not exactly well supplied with shops and dealers so if you cannot find it locally then it is up to the internet to source and the mail/couriers to deliver. RUAG are showing Norma in stock it seems. Reloading Solutions show Nosler and Sako brass, Bronwells shows Hornady, Remington and Norma. That took just a few minutes using a Google search.

I have to ask with the Police and Licensing being so daft with a lot of their ideas might having 270 brass resized ......................... might that not cause a problem or potential problem?

Ido t know his area but certainly where I am in Scotland reloading stuff can be a ball ache to get hold of

Certainly travel minimum hour for it if ordered in

I'd only resize if you really can't get any brass.
Whilst I prefer different sources you can do some early barrel breaking-in & zeroing with PPU at about £14/20. I've just started using the PPU brass I have (normally I reload Fed or Sako) and to be honest I don't see any real difference OTHER than that I have very little case trimming to do for these cases, which tells you something about their metallurgy. I see no other discernable differences and continue to shoot perfectly accurately beyond 300yds for the odd fox.

Remington .25-06 Unprimed Brass Cases (50pk)
Bullet heads/ Rifle brass - www.shotgunreloading.co.uk
not the cheapest but easy to get - cheapest route will be to shoot some PPU - most expensive route is to shoot some Sako but the rounds are divine!

Have fun whatever you do.

[emoji115][emoji115][emoji115][emoji115]
What I do , bought load of privi , groups well enough for deer in my rifle and ended up with batch once fired , if didn't group great still ended up with batch of once fired brass for not much difference in buying it anyway .
But still got shed load of other brass / makes to play with too.

Pity lapau didn't do .25 cal but I believe Norma stuff very good as well .

Paul

You can form .25-06 brass from .270 Win brass, but you have to trim the brass.

The .270 Win is based off the .30-03, the predecessor of the .30-06, so the case length is 2.540 inches.

The .25-06 is based off the .30-06 case, which was made a tad shorter by the U.S. Army, so case length is 2.494 inches.

I form .30-03 brass ( true unobtanium ) by resizing .35 Whelen brass, which comes up a little short, but is perfect after firing the first hand load. I also size up .270 Win to .30-03, annealing the necks of fired brass, because that tended to thin out and split sometimes.

I don't reload .25-06, but hunting partners do ( and did, RIP, Ed ), but I buy Prvi Partizan brass for 8x60S and have fired and reloaded several calibers from them, and found their ammo and brass to be quite good. Prvi may well sell new .25-06 brass in the UK, as they do in the USA.

Lapua, Norma, Sako etc are all good quality brass but are an unnecessary luxury, i admit i am being a hypocrite here becuse i use Lapua 223 by choice, Lapua 6mmBR because its the only stuff available and lapua 221 to form into 17 Fireball.
However there is no "Quality Brass" for my 257 Roberts Improved, i use Remington and its a good as Norma 7x57 which i had on a previous occasion formed into 257 thinking it would be better then the run of the mill remmy stuff, when all it did was turn out to be a waste of time and effort.

Ian.

Last edited:
Lapua, Norma, Sako etc are all good quality brass but are an unnecessary luxury, i admit i am being a hypocrite here becuse i use Lapua 223 by choice, Lapua 6mmBR because its the only stuff available and lapua 221 to form into 17 Fireball.
However there is no "Quality Brass" for my 257 Roberts Improved, i use Remington and its a good as Norma 7x57 which i had on a previous occasion formed into 257 thinking it would be better then the run of the mill remmy stuf,f when all it did was turn out to be a waste of time and effort.

Ian.

Which ones do you shoot your deer and foxes with....?

Tim.243

However there is no "Quality Brass" for my 257 Roberts Improved, i use Remington and its a good as Norma 7x57 which i had on a previous occasion formed into 257 thinking it would be better then the run of the mill remmy stuff, when all it did was turn out to be a waste of time and effort.

Ian.

Ha ha yes I used Remmy as my stock brass but I've shot it all 4-5 times and need to bump the shoulders back on them...so I'm being lazy and dipping into piles of PPU.
Being Derbyshire based if the OP is going to Catton this weekend let me know and I can donate some PPU brass to your cause to get you started. I also have an unused bottle of V-N160 which I won't use that I could let go for less than market rates. I've settled on v-N560 and IMR4831 and don't really want to work another load up.

Last edited:
Why can you not just buy some proper correct size brass?

Please define "Good brass"!

Is the 25-06 so rare that it is unobtainum?

Somehow I find that very hard to believe. Around here we are not exactly well supplied with shops and dealers so if you cannot find it locally then it is up to the internet to source and the mail/couriers to deliver. RUAG are showing Norma in stock it seems. Reloading Solutions show Nosler and Sako brass, Bronwells shows Hornady, Remington and Norma. That took just a few minutes using a Google search.

I have to ask with the Police and Licensing being so daft with a lot of their ideas might having 270 brass resized ......................... might that not cause a problem or potential problem?

Conure,

I'm sure that if you use the internet a bit more you can find out what generally qualifies as good brass… Your obviously good at internetting so this shouldn't be hard. Also the only Norma 25-06 brass I've found on the internet (shockingly I know how how to use it too) is Norma USA, by all accounts this is Federal brass rebranded. Also on the Brownells site this is on backorder only. Surely it isn't too hard to understand that if I have a source of good .270 brass that I can very easily turn into 25-06 brass that this shouldn't be a consideration for me?? Also, no it certainly is not a concern of the Police..!

Conure,

I'm sure that if you use the internet a bit more you can find out what generally qualifies as good brass… Your obviously good at internetting so this shouldn't be hard. Also the only Norma 25-06 brass I've found on the internet (shockingly I know how how to use it too) is Norma USA, by all accounts this is Federal brass rebranded. Also on the Brownells site this is on backorder only. Surely it isn't too hard to understand that if I have a source of good .270 brass that I can very easily turn into 25-06 brass that this shouldn't be a consideration for me?? Also, no it certainly is not a concern of the Police..!

Resizing your .270 brass to .26-06 is easy and no concern of the police at all. It will work just fine. Ensure the cases are properly lubed..inside the neck too and slide them into your die.
Do check the dimensions, you will likely find the case OAL to be somewhat longer so trimming necessary and as been pointed out, ensure the resized brass cannot get mixed with any .270 ammunition!!!

Thanks for the helpful advise guys. Leadswap, thats a kind offer but I'm down in London this weekend, thanks though.

Greetings friend: Input provided to a reply given to 'shakey jake' regarding .300 Win Mag. The gentlemen who replied to shakey gave a very good answer. I recall he is from Edinburgh, Scotland. I imagine those who spend quality hunting hours in Perth or anywhere in the highlands have a great deal of experience.

You are indeed correct about Lapua and Norma brass being an unnecessary luxury. If shipping costs could be mitigated I'd send you a few thousand .223 casings. This brass is like leaves on trees on my end. APO U.S. mail to Mildenhall AB would be cheap, but the military may wish to acquire the excess 'residue' ha! In my own opinion, once fired or unprimed brass should be the same as a box of chocolates, but I'm sure there are some silly shipping restrictions and/or customs taxes.

Back